Are these batteries still good, safe, and married?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I've had a married pair of LG HG2 chocolates for my IVP400 for a while now. Because the IPV400 does not have reverse battery protection, I am very careful to insert them correctly...........up until now, anyway. After charging and letting them "rest" for a while, I put them back in the mod, but didn't use it the rest of the day. Today, I grabbed the mod and screwed on a tank, well started to anyway. As soon as the 510 made contact, I heard the mod fire. I quickly unscrewed the tank and saw that the mod wasn't even on. So I checked and sure enough I had put the batteries in backwards.

So I put the batteries back in correctly and turned the mod on (with no tank) and the battery bar showed no charge. So I put the batteries in the Nitecore charger and saw one battery with a red led for charging and the other with a green led. Not being comfortable with that, I pulled both batteries and put them in a storage case.

Since the batteries are about a year old, figured I would just recycle them and buy some new. But now I am wondering:

Would the battery that showed already charged still be good as a single?
Would the battery that showed as charging still be good to charge and used as a single?
Is use as a married pair out of the question no matter what?
Am I just lucky I didn't burn the house down after putting the batteries in backward and storing the mod in the rack? :shock:

As far as the IPV400, I put in another married pair and it seems to be working fine. But depending on responses to my last question, beating it to a pulp with a sledge hammer and burying it with a shovel, then burying the shovel, might be a better idea.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This would be a good problem for Mooch to comment on. My guess is that in a series circuit both would be damaged. One just received all it could take and failed before the other could heat up. The other possibility is that the one with no voltage opened internally, so when you put them back in there was no conduction between the two. The weakest link is the one that fails first. The other is probably damaged, too.

I'd buy a new pair of 18650s just to be safe.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
If there are no signs of either of the batteries venting, I would attempt to charge both of them. Red light simply means the power is on to that bay. Green lights blinking are showing charging levels. Green steady showing charging complete. If they both will charge completely, I would test them in a mod to see if they still have a reasonable life span. You may not have done any irreparable damage to either.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Just curious-is this an older mod? Do newer and/or most mods have reverse batt protection??

Seems like a dumb##s thing to not have it on.

Glad your ok.

I got the IPV400 a couple years ago. I was looking into getting an IPV6X and saw that it supposedly did not have reverse battery protection as well as the IPV400. Never even considered testing it, but now I know for sure. Those are the only ones I know of and yes, totally "dumb##s" IMO! That's why smashing and burying it is on my list of options.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
As a purely theoretical exercise, I'd guess that the charged battery is OK and the other is damaged. There's no question they've divorced. Moving out of the realm of theory, I agree with everyone who says recycle the pair, and smashing and burying isn't a bad idea.

I've recently discovered that reverse battery protection is well short of fool-proof. My Xtar VC4, of all things, tried to charge a reversed battery. It says it got 300 or so mah into it before I noticed. I took it out, let it rest a bit and put it in the proper way. The charger recognized it as a 1.5 A battery and had just begun to charge it up when my brain (finally!) kicked in and I snatched it out of the charger and recycled it.

Reactions: OlderNDirt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread