Are these flavors safe (new to vaping heard of diacetyl and Pentanedione)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyBoi699

Sep 1, 2017
So I emailed bulldog vapor, and they were not able to tell me anything about diacetyl content in any of their juices due to FDA regulations. (I have no clue if that's true or not) But from your experience did any bulldog flavors give you some chest/respiratory issues, specifically gator blood and rainwater. Or if you know if they got diacetyl or alot of pentanedione. Thanks so much for you guys help this forum is amazing and I've learned so much.

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Pretty sure there's tons of video on youtube about the diacetyl thing (which if i remember correctly is completely wrong) the only way to produce such things is to pretty much burn the cotton or maybe boil it ? Again not entirely sure but i wouldn't stress about it tbh i've vaped sweet juices (these gunk up coils faster than you can say happy birthday) and had no such issues.

Would wait if i was you until someone with more knowledge comes along, in the meantime Bumped !

On another note: welcome to ecf :)

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
@QcVaper, you're thinking of formaldehyde, which Dr. Farsalinos just debunked coincidentally! I published an article on my site about it, which includes links to the old study and the new replication study - Researchers Try to Replicate the Infamous Formaldehyde Study But Can't - VapePassion.com

Dr. Farsalinos also talked about diacetyl back in 2015 - A new study finds diacetyl in e-cigarettes but exaggerates risks and fails to discuss about smoking - he said there is a risk with DA and AP and that no e-juice manufacturers should deliberately add it to their e-juices.

I would add that most popular companies do not use DA or AP anymore though.

@DannyBoi699 They're either lying or clueless. There's no rule in the FDA regulations that would prohibit anyone from telling you what's in their e-juice. Just the fact that they said that would make me stay away from them.

As far as respiratory issues from DA or pentanedione, I can't say, sorry. I actually get respiratory issues from specific e-juices too, like shortness of breath. It's very rare that it happens to me, but I have never figured out what ingredient might be causing it. It very well could be DA, AP, or pentanedione. I'm very interested to learn more.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
@QcVaper, you're thinking of formaldehyde, which Dr. Farsalinos just debunked coincidentally! I published an article on my site about it, which includes links to the old study and the new replication study - Researchers Try to Replicate the Infamous Formaldehyde Study But Can't - VapePassion.com

Dr. Farsalinos also talked about diacetyl back in 2015 - A new study finds diacetyl in e-cigarettes but exaggerates risks and fails to discuss about smoking - he said there is a risk with DA and AP and that no e-juice manufacturers should deliberately add it to their e-juices.

I would add that most popular companies do not use DA or AP anymore though.

@DannyBoi699 They're either lying or clueless. There's no rule in the FDA regulations that would prohibit anyone from telling you what's in their e-juice. Just the fact that they said that would make me stay away from them.

As far as respiratory issues from DA or pentanedione, I can't say, sorry. I actually get respiratory issues from specific e-juices too, like shortness of breath. It's very rare that it happens to me, but I have never figured out what ingredient might be causing it. It very well could be DA, AP, or pentanedione. I'm very interested to learn more.

Thanks for the precision :) that's why i always admit when i'm not sure :p I did hear about diacetyl but i can't remember what they said about it since it's been a while. For the respiratory issues some here on ecf reported that it could be the pg/vg ratio you're using ie allergies as vaping high vg for example when you're allergic could cause tightness in the throat and would be why you have difficulties breathing. Again i'm not a healthcare provider so i can't say for sure but that's what i've seen here on ecf so don't take my words for it (i'd suggest you do your research on the forums for any specifics on this,and talk to your doc about it too)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    They wouldn't be able to claim it's healthier due to an ingredient or lack thereof.

If a juice causes any immediate breathing issue, it's more likely due to substitution of butyric acid for DA or APr. DA has anecdotally been described as the least irritating of the butter notes, despite long term concerns. In my DIY I avoid anything inherently needing butyric acid -- milk, yogurt flavors -- and have found the reformulated flavors lame. I restrict the amount of questionable flavorings, it's better anyway.

Frankly I think people like to think the juice makers have made their formulas safer, but I doubt it, especially if there are no claims.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I've run into issues with vanillas-- they make me hoarse. I think I remember that vanillin (used in some vanillas) might be on the no-go list. I DIY so I have (some) knowledge about what goes into my vape, and I do avoid cinnamon as well, as I think I also heard that some of those flavors contained things that weren't great to vape. Please note I haven't done an exhaustive search on this, but I do find that my body will let me know if there's a flavoring that's causing huge issues. I do occasionally run into one, and since most flavor makers won't give up their proprietary ingredients list (though not all), this is most likely why the vape shop told you this. Though, the vape shop I used for flavors for a while employees would only tell me they are "FDA approved" flavorings. Which is true-- for FOOD, so it's not really that helpful.

I'd also say that prior to this whole issue, there were folks vaping those flavors, and while I do what I CAN to keep my flavoring safe (mainly by not vaping a high VOLUME of flavoring, I'm at about 6 ml per day) and by using low flavoring content in my DIY mixes, I tend not to worry about it TOO much, as I still believe that vaping is safer than smoking, and I do HOPE that many vape shops are not using that flavoring, but I also do think it's less of an issue than it was originally made out to be. With that said, I am not a scientist, I can only go by my own Best Common Sense and it's not enough of a worry for me to eliminate flavoring altogether, though you can vape unflavored e-juice if you are really worried. VG has a bit of a naturally "sweet" taste to it.... I just keep in mind, "Combustion is the real killer," and do my best to be as safe as possible.

Vaping is Harm Reduction though, not harm elimination, and I'm not sure we will get complete answers to these questions for some time.... Vaping hasn't been around as long as cigarettes, where many of the dangers are completely known. I really am not hearing reports where vapers are keeling over right and left from flavorings, though, either.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    But from your experience did any bulldog flavors give you some chest/respiratory issues, specifically gator blood and rainwater. Or if you know if they got diacetyl or alot of pentanedione. Thanks so much for you guys help this forum is amazing and I've learned so much.

You've gotten good advice so far, so not much to add other than what are gator blood and rainwater respiratory issues?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    So I emailed bulldog vapor, and they were not able to tell me anything about diacetyl content in any of their juices due to FDA regulations. (I have no clue if that's true or not) But from your experience did any bulldog flavors give you some chest/respiratory issues, specifically gator blood and rainwater. Or if you know if they got diacetyl or alot of pentanedione. Thanks so much for you guys help this forum is amazing and I've learned so much.
    Welcome and glad you joined.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread