1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Are Tobacco Companies Losing Money in this Battle?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by cvbella22, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. cvbella22

cvbella22 New Member

I just want to know if anyone else knows if the major corporations are losing money due to the world's battle against cancer sticks. I myself have fell victim to these addictive demons and I'm sick of people dying, my clothes stinking, and everything about cigarettes. I have finally completely switched to vapor and hopefully will be done with them too. If anyone has any links verifying what I'm talking about I would love to keep track of this battle. Thank you and I will be trying to keep up with this topic. Have a blessed day!:)

2. elmattias

elmattias Resident Miyagi Verified Member ECF Veteran

are they losing money? sure...slowly, but they are adapting, i know one of them bought blu, can't remember which one.

3. Charlie C

Charlie C Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Not a chance.
    These corps are massive, diversification plays a huge role for them, besides the Government have their back.
    Just talk with a tobacco lobbyist.

I'm certain that they will (or already have) get into the vaping business too.

4. kiwivap

kiwivap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Lorillard owns blu.

5. kiwivap

kiwivap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

6. cricque

cricque Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It's a matter of time ... If they start losing alot of money, they will make sure vaping needs to apply to the same rules
    Also it will get taxed extra somewhere along the line ... You do not want that your country has less income !

The tobacco lobby is powerfull, they have way too much money. At some point we will pay extra's for all this. Let's hope that day is still far away

7. brooksisusername

brooksisusername Full Member

The tobacco companies losses are close to none. It is such an insignificant amount of money they are loosing. When someone decides to quit smoking they have lost money. Weather that person goes from smoking to vaping or smoking to nicorette the tobacco companies have lost a smoker.

8. DMAudio

DMAudio Senior Member ECF Veteran

I'd say it's likely offset a lot by the new smokers. I heard a stat years ago of something like 3000 new smokers in a 4 hour period, although can't verify how accurate that was.

If you read a bit of the legislation threads, you'll see that due to the sheer volume of money involved, tobacco companies won't just lay down and die. They'll influence who they need to, to ensure their future profits. Same goes for the pharma companies. It isn't about public health any more!

DM

9. Bullette the Cowdog

Bullette the Cowdog Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Keep in mind that cigarette sales are world wide!! Developing countries are where the marketing & sales are going now.
    BTW. Who gets revenue from gum, patches, etc??? It can't be ONLY big pharma. I assume big tobacco is involved in this product diversification. Haha. I love their business model. Help folks quit smoking by switching to something that continues their revenue stream.

10. recidivus

recidivus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Diversification goes far beyond tobacco and nicotine products, they dip heavily in the food industry. These companies are part of huge multinat conglomerates.

11. Nurzrachit

Nurzrachit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Not where I am at. Aot of smokers I know don't even want to try it. They will be sorry later, it's a strange addiction.

12. gthompson

gthompson Free at last Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Most of us vapers are older and Big Tobacco has already killed us, we are just a short term profit loss. They are, and always have been, single-mindedly interested in young people and addicting them for life.

13. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

The short answer...NO they are not losing $$, tobacco sales are down but profits are up and in fact can afford to pay shareholders a dividend. Some also have share buyback progs in place:
    Reynold’s America (RAI): dividend yield of 5.50%.
    Altria (MO): dividend yield of 5.10%.
    Philip Morris (PM): dividend yield of 3.40%.
    Also have to understand, as mentioned by another poster, beyond a decade ago they began investing in other areas- real estate, oil, food, booze, insurance, etc. Some have also moved some of their holdings offshore for tax purposes.

14. vinnymail

vinnymail Full Member Verified Member

i hope sure hope they are losing tons of money

15. 1vapeatatime

1vapeatatime Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I vape for the nicotine. Nicotine come from tobacco;nowhere else. Let's hope tobacco companies stay in business for the nicotine, and for the fact that they pay big taxes. Otherwise(and not that they are not already doing this) the feds will look for tax money elsewhere, and we end up paying more for our juices.

16. catoliver

catoliver Senior Member ECF Veteran

All I know for sure is that they are now losing money from ME! And I wouldn't have it any other way :)

17. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Cool post and I LOVE your view of the situation :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

18. crxess

crxess ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Losing? Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Even government intervention is simply to make the public think they are being heard.
    1)Government Runs the Negative publicity campaign
    2)Tobacco companies continue doing business
    3)Alternative companies sprout up making money and paying taxes
    4)John Q. Public foots the whole bill in end sale pricing and taxes.

Ending Tobacco use would mean billions in annual loss of taxable revenue from a diversity of businesses, not just the tobacco companies.

19. chris_vazquez1

chris_vazquez1 Full Member Verified Member

I hope they lose the cigarette battle, BUT if they get into the e-cigarette business more people might try it! Imagine the lobying for e-cigarettes, and commercials encouraging people to try it! It'd be a big boon and you'd see more American corporations making the good stuff. Provari needs a good American competitor.

: provari
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.