Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Indeed. Your body, (and your palette), thank you. ;)

Just look at vegans. They're constantly angry, (and all look emaciated), because they don't feed their bodies properly.

LOL!!!!! I know a couple of them and you are so right... very unhappy people... always fretting over the food they have to eat, calories, etc... one of the people I know is a kale enthusiast and I found out kale is really not that great for the urinary tract...
I mentioned it and was blasted for even saying it to her... even tho she had mentioned several times about her "issues" when needing to "go"... some people just wont listen to the truth... :)

Reactions: 7sixtwo

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
LOL!!!!! I know a couple of them and you are so right... very unhappy people... always fretting over the food they have to eat, calories, etc... one of the people I know is a kale enthusiast and I found out kale is really not that great for the urinary tract...
I mentioned it and was blasted for even saying it to her... even tho she had mentioned several times about her "issues" when needing to "go"... some people just wont listen to the truth... :)

A "kale enthusiast"... o_O lol Yeah, I bet she's a blast at parties. :D

Most vegans are also flaming liberals, and the two twisted belief systems both stem from their refusal to accept human nature; i.e. humans are meat-eating creatures, primarily motivated by self interest.

Chasperk

Apr 14, 2016
I myself seen several months ago the newer crowd of not veterans but high post count members with less than 3months registered giving new members asking advice very bad advice.

Oops that might be me. ;)

I try to only comment if I know the answer, or direct newer members to the correct information. But I am the type to research everything to death.

A friend who works at the B&M that I regularly visit was picking on me the other day because when I first started 45 days ago, I bought a Kanger Nebox. 2 weeks ago, I upgraded to an iStick TC100 with a smok TFV4 tank. And last week I bought my first rda. She said that I get bored to easily. :w00t:

But that isn't to say that I am going to tell everyone to do what I did. Everyone has to do this, or anything in life, at their own pace.

lynn508

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
alabam
I used to read all the posts a couple years ago. There were people trying very hard to quit a bad habit that was smoking. I don't see that today. The youngsters care about how they look with the latest mod. It is rather scare y . I don't really bother much anymore because you can't help someone who is only concerned with looks.

Chasperk

Apr 14, 2016
I used to read all the posts a couple years ago. There were people trying very hard to quit a bad habit that was smoking. I don't see that today. The youngsters care about how they look with the latest mod. It is rather scare y . I don't really bother much anymore because you can't help someone who is only concerned with looks.

I agree. If all someone is asking questions about is how to blow the biggest cloud ever, I skip right to the next thread.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Oops that might be me. ;)

I try to only comment if I know the answer, or direct newer members to the correct information. But I am the type to research everything to death.

A friend who works at the B&M that I regularly visit was picking on me the other day because when I first started 45 days ago, I bought a Kanger Nebox. 2 weeks ago, I upgraded to an iStick TC100 with a Smok TFV4 tank. And last week I bought my first RDA. She said that I get bored to easily. :w00t:

But that isn't to say that I am going to tell everyone to do what I did. Everyone has to do this, or anything in life, at their own pace.

Not necessarily, when my interest in replying to as many threads as I could in the new members section was right around the transitional era of sub-ohm mech/rda craze to these higher powered regulated mods, about 18 to 12 months ago. You'd have a new member come in asking what type of device to get that was settled onto a ego or istick20w class device with a decent clearomizer, then some young gun would come into the thread, "No man, that setup is trash, what will get you off the cigs is a mech and rda at (some low crazy resistance) and you are good to go" with only like 30days from registration or such. If you dived in, have studied your gear, safety, and such and give valuable advice I have no trouble, it is when a newer, not brand new, vaper comes in trying to make a very very new member to go for to advanced a setup than they can presently handle, that is where I have issue ;) , baby steps are the best course IMO unless the member is specifically asking about a certainly very advanced device, I start lobbing shots across the bow to get a feeling of what they are needing and really looking for.

Chasperk

Apr 14, 2016
Honestly, I think the Nebox was not really too advanced for a beginner, but definitely not a starter set up. The only reason I got it is because I work construction, and the employees of the store said it was the most likely to last a while in that line of work. Only thing I liked about it was the tank size, and coil options. The RBA though was to small for my hands to fiddle with, along with the leakage, short battery life, and other issues made me upgrade earlier than I wanted to.

But I absolutely love the iStick so far, as well as the Smok tank. Haven't tried the RBA on it yet, or used TC, but that will come soon. And the RDA, I really only use at night, as it is to hard to drip while swinging a hammer. :lol: The only coils I've used were the stock coils, and I'm not in a rush to start wrapping my own. I'll buy pre wrapped for a while and invest in a Coil Master Kit in a couple months.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
When I get to advise a smoker I say don't worry about smoking. Just start vaping and see what happens. If you vape you'll smoke less. If you don't stop vaping sooner or later you'll stop smoking. Some people do it same day. It took me six weeks. A brother of mine took 10 months. Just keep vaping.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
When I first saw the term "dual user" on this forum, I actually pictured someone smoking and vaping at the same time. I mean at the same moment, as in one in each hand ... :unsure:

A few seconds later, my mind un-kinked and it made sense ... :rolleyes:

But I do wonder if anyone anywhere anytime has ever done that ? :ohmy:

Like the guy everyone knew who would eat and smoke at the same time ... :shock:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
When I first saw the term "dual user" on this forum, I actually pictured someone smoking and vaping at the same time. I mean at the same moment, as in one in each hand ... :unsure:

I've done it, more times than I care to count! That's actually something I try to convey to new members. "One day you will have a lit cig and while smoking, you will grab a vape because it tastes so much better! Then it will click in that cigs taste like crap!" Or something to that effect.
Even today, two hours of sleep, two close deaths, I'm finding I like the taste and flavor of my vape much better than an analog.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have been vaping over 5 years now. I have always said that I was one of the lucky ones as I made the switch as soon as I got my first ecig. BUT I had been trying desperately to quit or even slow down on smoking which I failed miserably at. I was determined and no matter what I pushed myself only to vape. Can't say it was easy, especially with the equipment that was available then and I still remember my jaws and face being so sore from trying to get a 'hit'.
And yes, a long time smoker, over 40 years and had worked up to sometimes over 3 packs a day.(extremely high stress job).
I relate to those who posted that smoking is an all encompassing addiction. It is. It enslaves almost every part of our lives, a friend who was always there. For me, I know if I smoked just one cig that would send me back to where I don't want to be. But I never have put that kind of pressure on any member as I too subscribe to the 'one less cig smoked is a victory'.
I used to spend lots of time in the new members forum, but somehow the newer members always would seem to drown me out or discount my posts. Now, with the industry having grown so much, I haven't kept up with it all.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I know the feeling @Sugar_and_Spice. Half the time I have no clue what they are asking about, as far as devices go. I just seek those that aren't asking questions about a particular thing and just welcome them. Keeps me in that section and checking back on the thread when I get a new post alert. Sometimes I get lucky and hit one where someone is struggling.

Those posts do seem not as prevalent as they used to be. With the advent of so many B&M's, there aren't as many people wondering what these are and how do you use it. We still get the occasional though and when we see others tell new members to just push through and vape, that is when we just need to gently step in and tell the OP that it is ok to dual use and to drop that saying in there.

Eventually others will see that maybe that is the way to help people. Lead by example. :)

It never works if you engage the person you are disagreeing with. Just talk to the OP and ignore the other. That really does work ;)

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA

:oops: :unsure: :blush:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I was a 30 year smoker, 1 - 1 1/2 ppd. I'd tried to quit using nicotine gum, patches, prescription drugs, and even hypnosis twice. Nothing worked for long.

I tried my first ecig, an NJoy disposable about 5 years ago. I was amused that one of these might just work for me. I was getting a dose of nicotine which my brain said I needed, and I was also duplicating the addictive "behavior" of the "hand-to-mouth" fixation and the "inhale/exhale" behavior which are all part of the addiction.

I was able to make a total transition within a weeks time. I vaped as much as I wanted. If I got a craving for a cigarette, I vaped more. If that didn't help, I allowed myself a cigarette....half of one, and saved the second half for the next time. Those partially smoked butts tasted pretty awful, but I believe that helped my craving for a cigarette.

Toward the end of the week, I was easily preferring my vape over the cigarettes. I never bought another pack of cigarettes after that, and haven't touched one in 5 years.

Of course, I upgraded my gear over time. I ditched the cigalike after about a month. Got a mechanical mod and some cartotanks. Then got a Provari. Four years into vaping and I'm now rebuilding coils.

Never have had a craving for a cigarette since I finished that last pack five years ago.

Edit: Upon recalling when I first started vaping, I must admit that I had extra MOTIVATION to quit smoking. The day I bought that first ecig, my mother found out that she had cancer. She was dead within two weeks. Her illness and death caught me completely off guard, and I realized then that if I didn't quit smoking now that I was going to follow her to the grave in short time. I think most people have to be motivated enough to quit; if you aren't there's a strong chance you will fail, like anything else in life that really matters.

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    I agree @Baditude, you have to be motivated, and you have to have your head in it. I've converted many, but failed with a few as well. If the just weren't ready to quit, they aren't going to and it's a waste of my time and their money trying.
    That's been a big factor for me the last year and a half. Fighting with Dr's and Pharmacists trying to get my meds right, waking up to puke for breakfast and OD'ing twice, I wasn't going to fight with trying to vape! I've gotten settled in, my meds are working better for me, I'm not sick, not blacking out, somewhat of a normal life again so I'm ready to start over.
    But we certainly can't force it on someone, they have to have the interest and want to, otherwise it's just a fight all the way.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Like many people I did both at the same time and after a while the cigs were just worthless. I was already tanked up so those cigarettes with a cup of tea (or coffee) just lost all there mojo. Also. The last time I went to buy cigarettes was 1.5 years ago. £9.30 for 20 benson!!! That was the last straw. I wonder how much now...

Chasperk

Apr 14, 2016
    If the just weren't ready to quit, they aren't going to and it's a waste of my time and their money trying.

I think this is the #1 reason quiting analogs was so easy for me this go round. I had tried several times with gum, patch, etc. but didn't really want to quit so they didn't work.

A friend had been explaining vaping and the benefits for months before I decided to try. Investing $75 on a device, juice and extra coils was more motivation. If I hadn't been able to quit within a couple days and only vape, my wife would have killed me for wasting all that money when I was spending $50 a week on cigs. Now I'm spending $10-20 a week on juice and coils. And using an app on my phone to know how many cigs I haven't smoked. When I hit 1000, I upgraded to a dual 18650 mod and tank. When I hit 1500 not smoked, I bought an RDA. As of right now I'm at 47 days quit and 1886 cigs not smoked. What to buy when I hit 2000?

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    I think this is the #1 reason quiting analogs was so easy for me this go round. I had tried several times with gum, patch, etc. but didn't really want to quit so they didn't work.

A friend had been explaining vaping and the benefits for months before I decided to try. Investing $75 on a device, juice and extra coils was more motivation. If I hadn't been able to quit within a couple days and only vape, my wife would have killed me for wasting all that money when I was spending $50 a week on cigs. Now I'm spending $10-20 a week on juice and coils. And using an app on my phone to know how many cigs I haven't smoked. When I hit 1000, I upgraded to a dual 18650 mod and tank. When I hit 1500 not smoked, I bought an RDA. As of right now I'm at 47 days quit and 1886 cigs not smoked. What to buy when I hit 2000?
    Good for you! I love reading success stories like yours and long for the day I can tell mine as well!

Reactions: Chasperk

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2013
    New York
    That's what I tell people trying to switch from smoking. Have one if you must but, don't quit quitting. Make the effort. You'll never quit if you don't want to.

Results don't need be immediate. I quit gradually. My morning coffee cigarette(s) were the ones I enjoyed the most. I'd have those and then try to make the day. Eventually did. Then had one the next morning and that was it for me.

Having the right device and setup was half the battle. If I was restricted to cigalikes I don't think I'd have ever quit. Something reliable, small, yet a days capacity. Spent so much money on garbage in the beginning.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread