Are YOU a Tootle Puffer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maytwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
SW France
Just going back to us brits, I was born in Wednesfield, the Black Country area, my accent has gone now though but I can still talk like it if yaw wunt may to

Is that Wolverhampton way ? My mother's grandfather spent most of his life in Wolverhampton.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    alien Traveler" data-source="post: 16419815" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
    alien Traveler said:
    But both German and English are Germanic languages. A lot of common...

Main difference is the location of the verb in a sentence.

Oh and I'm also Welsh, but born in Canada. Last name was Llewellyn (until INS didn't know how to spell it) :lol:
    Almost half my family still speaks that "funny" language.

Last edited:

Maytwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2011
    SW France
    48349121_74442432c9_b.jpg

I did learn how to say this - and I can still remember, though don't think my pronunciation would be spot on :D

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    48349121_74442432c9_b.jpg

I did learn how to say this - and I can still remember, though don't think my pronunciation would be spot on :D

That's the name of a town.
    Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazal near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave

Maytwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2011
    SW France
    Ah: It's the name of a town.
    Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazal near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave
    Thank you - I'd forgotten what it translated to though rapid whirlpools does ring bells :D I did actually go to the station once and for years had a platform ticket which was about 6 inches long !!

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    That's the name of a town.
    Clearly a early form of hillbilly directions.

E.g.
    Go down the road until you get to the field where Mildred's cow died, then turn left where the old apple tree that got hit by lightning was, then turn right just after the road that goes to frog cave holler, if you go by the Bumkis house you went too far.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Clearly a early form of hillbilly directions.

E.g.
    Go down the road until you get to the field where Mildred's cow died, then turn left where the old apple tree that got hit by lightning was, then turn right just after the road that goes to frog cave holler, if you go by the Bumkis house you went too far.
    how did you know? I never gave you directions to my house!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    Just going back to us brits, I was born in Wednesfield, the Black Country area, my accent has gone now though but I can still talk like it if yaw wunt may to

That's very interesting! Although their speech is recognizably british, the thing about plural "housen" or "folken" explains something to me about a quirk of N. Ga/Appalachian dialect; my grandmother always used "hern/hissen" for "hers/his" -- very likely the original settlers in N. GA/S. Appalachia came from that area of England, and though their speech eventually drifted into what we recognize as "southern accent," some distinctive quirks of that "black country" speech remain. Fascinating!!

Andria

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread