Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR

Thrasher, do you think a k4 would be as easy for a beginner to get the hang of as one of the older models? If I'm remembering correctly, people were saying when it first came out that it was a lot fussier than past models.

Mind you there's nothing *wrong* with the ehpro kayfun, if you can find it for less than $20, I just prefer all my tobecos to the ehpro.

Maybe I'll have to pick up one of each. :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
:evil:
and now it's back......
so when you install a water heater....:lol:

dblfacepalm.jpg

:confused:
Andria

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I know when I first got the k4 I couldn't figure out how to open the deck, and I'm not exactly a new vapor lol. Just a stuck o ring finally

Watch a video or two and I don't see why it would be a problem.

Busardos review is what finally convinced me to get it. He has a great breakdown.

There's a lot of parts but it doesn't need tearing down once built and the deck can be taken out without disassembling everything

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Check it out
Just recorded this, once original assembly and cleaning is done, the deck is no harder to get too then any of them.

Best part is this is first one you don't have to drain the tank to open it

Thanks, Thrasher! That's really helpful. I like the part about not needing to drain the tank to get to the build deck. I've been reading up on different RTA's, and that seemed like a huge hassle. I like being able to top fill as well. I was thinking the other day about how much less wear and tear the threads on my mods would get if I wasn't constantly unscrewing the tanks to refill them. :)

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
How about a tootle puffer question to get this thread back on topic? I've noticed a number of posters mentioning their Kayfuns. I've been wanting to get one, as I rebuild my T3S and GS Air coils and have always wanted to try an RTA. But there seems to be a huge variety of models and manufacturers. So I'm wondering which of these you would recommend to a tootle puffer. Keep in mind that I can in no way afford the original, so it would need to be one of the clones.

An RTA for a tootle puffer? The KFL+v2 or the Erlkonigin. A really nice Erlk clone can be had for a few dollars.

EK Style Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (8ml) White

For $5 + shipping, I highly recommend the Erlk clone. And you have the choice of 4 different colored tanks. Simply be patient in learning the build (took me 3-4 days). I greatly prefer my Erlk clone to my KFL+v2; better flavor, far more airflow options, practically no leaking, easier to build (after you get the hang of it), smaller, lighter, higher juice capacity (6ml vs 4.5ml), top-fill, and a cheap nano kit (makes for a tiny topper with a 3ml capacity). iBTanked has their great glass tanks for it starting at $5. It's my only RTA that looks great on my iStick 20W.

I use my KFL+v2 in the house only. It works great. But I've been unsuccessful in wicking it for the performance I want without leaking. It will leak when lying on its side. A deal-breaker for me and my out & about rigs.

I would not recommend a K4. When it works, it's great. Way over-engineered IMO. Far too fiddly and unnecessary for us tootle puffers. I sold my Tobeco K4. It just wasn't worth the hassle. I get equal or better vapes elsewhere.

Both the SubTank Mini w/RBA head and Eleaf Lemo 2 look very promising. The latest STMini has a 4th, smaller airhole perfect for MTL tootlers. The Lemo 2's airflow can be shut down completely. The rest is up to your build and choice of drip-tip. Both sit @ approximately $30. I'm waiting for massive sales to get both and test drive them.

Hope this helps.

(It's on the iStick 20W in the photo below (on the right). KFL+v2 on the iStick 30W.)

16280290411_d895b5799e_o.png

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
"I sold my Tobeco K4. It just wasn't worth the hassle"

While I have no opinion or care what tank is purchased, I do have to comment on this.

Too many times anymore, when a clone of something is problematic, the flaws unfairly become associated with the authentic product

Not saying your doing this, but I see many times, oh I had so many problems with my xxx clone so therefore xxx product is a dud

When in many cases people with a clone or copy don't realize the finer degree of manufacturing that goes into the original.

This isn't a clone vs authentic argument, I'm just pointing out in many cases the cloners don't care about precision or even know what they are building let alone understand how it works.

A perfect example of this is:

$19.36 Aqua V3 Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

A product purposely designed by the original maker to not work, yet they cloned it without knowing what it is.

You can't expect a 20 dollar copy of a highly engineered 200 dollar Atty to work perfectly. You can't expect them to care about fit, finish, and tolerances, when they don't even understand what it is they are producing.

With that said infinite has the best Kayfun clone right now. Change the spring for the authentic one and I think it would be spot on

Last edited:

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
An RTA for a tootle puffer? The KFL+v2 or the Erlkonigin. A really nice Erlk clone can be had for a few dollars.

EK Style Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (8ml) White

For $5 + shipping, I highly recommend the Erlk clone. And you have the choice of 4 different colored tanks. Simply be patient in learning the build (took me 3-4 days). I greatly prefer my Erlk clone to my KFL+v2; better flavor, far more airflow options, practically no leaking, easier to build (after you get the hang of it), smaller, lighter, higher juice capacity (6ml vs 4.5ml), top-fill, and a cheap nano kit (makes for a tiny topper with a 3ml capacity). iBTanked has their great glass tanks for it starting at $5. It's my only RTA that looks great on my iStick 20W.

I use my KFL+v2 in the house only. It works great. But I've been unsuccessful in wicking it for the performance I want without leaking. It will leak when lying on its side. A deal-breaker for me and my out & about rigs.

I would not recommend a K4. When it works, it's great. Way over-engineered IMO. Far too fiddly and unnecessary for us tootle puffers. I sold my Tobeco K4. It just wasn't worth the hassle. I get equal or better vapes elsewhere.

Both the SubTank Mini w/RBA head and Eleaf Lemo 2 look very promising. The latest STMini has a 4th, smaller airhole perfect for MTL tootlers. The Lemo 2's airflow can be shut down completely. The rest is up to your build and choice of drip-tip. Both sit @ approximately $30. I'm waiting for massive sales to get both and test drive them.

Hope this helps.

(It's on the iStick 20W in the photo below (on the right). KFL+v2 on the iStick 30W.)

16280290411_d895b5799e_o.png

That's interesting that you brought up the ErlK. I actually have 2 that I bought from Angel a couple of weeks ago and haven't yet had the time to start building on. From some of the reading I've done, it seemed to me that people were having a hard time getting the build right, which is one of the reasons I thought maybe I should start with a Kayfun. So you make a very good point - maybe the perfect tootle puffer RTA is the one I already have and should just jump in and learn it. :thumb:

I did try the subtank mini, though, and found that I just couldn't tame it at all, even with the airflow almost closed. It still felt like vaping on a monsoon. I do like a fairly open draw, but that was just ridiculous. I know a lot of people really like it, so each to their own. I ended up trading it for a couple of nautilus minis.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Heck ya linda, if you already have some tanks get on it already, lol

Ignoring tuning the setup for a sec what you will find is if you can build one, you can build almost all of them. While the Kayfun may be more friendly to some people you still end up looking for what works.

In the end their all the same, and almost all of them use some variation of the Kayfun deck anyways.

We are here to help so get busy, chop chop.:D

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
These are all authentic Kayfun Lite v2+ bought from the classsies for about $55 ea.

They are so easy to build and they all work flawless ... for me bottom fill is Ok, I vape em until they are empty and then rewick on the refill.

IMO, the perfect setup is a $75 used Provari with a $50 used Kayfun Lite v2+

$125 ... Tootle Puff forever :blink:

5Provaris.jpg

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Heck ya linda, if you already have some tanks get on it already, lol

Ignoring tuning the setup for a sec what you will find is if you can build one, you can build almost all of them. While the Kayfun may be more friendly to some people you still end up looking for what works.

In the end their all the same, and almost all of them use some variation of the Kayfun deck anyways.

We are here to help so get busy, chop chop.:D

You're right, Thrasher - if I can build those tiny little T3S coils, I guess I can build something I can actually see. :D You've all inspired me, so I'm going to try to carve out some time tomorrow and give those ErlK's a bath and get on with it. :D

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I agree willi, been a Kayfun fan since the model 3.0.
I love my geni but my go to tank has always been a kf. Specially at work, each version keeps getting better in my opinion. Don't think I've ever ran more then 10-11 watts and the draw is perfect for a CIG type puff.

Next week, just like last week, yet another tank claiming to be the Kayfun killer will pop up,, yet places like vaperev can't keep real kf's in stock for long

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
These are all authentic Kayfun Lite v2+ bought from the classsies for about $55 ea.

They are so easy to build and they all work flawless ... for me bottom fill is Ok, I vape em until they are empty and then rewick on the refill.

IMO, the perfect setup is a $75 used Provari with a $50 used Kayfun Lite v2+

$125 ... Tootle Puff forever :blink:

Very Nice!

254y4n4.gif

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
How about a tootle puffer question to get this thread back on topic? I've noticed a number of posters mentioning their Kayfuns. I've been wanting to get one, as I rebuild my T3S and GS Air coils and have always wanted to try an RTA. But there seems to be a huge variety of models and manufacturers. So I'm wondering which of these you would recommend to a tootle puffer. Keep in mind that I can in no way afford the original, so it would need to be one of the clones.

I have a Russian 91% v.2.1 and 2 Hcigar Kayfuns v.2.5 (all Kayfun clones) and I can say they are pretty much as efficient as each other and much less costly than an authentic Kayfun.

I was told the authentics are still even much better, and I can say the machining is much nicer but you can't miss what you never had. I did once get an Hcigar Kayfun that woudln't screw on my device and that was confirmed at the shop where I got it. They exchanged it on the spot. That's all I have to say about that.

[...]
AH - To be perfectly honest, IMO - Don't Worry About It - "You're" more then safely hidden in away the "Closet" or is that a "Hole" there . . . [...]

I'm fresh out of the tootle puffer closet... The only other closet I can come out of is the "alien abductee" closet, but they moved that thread to the café :D
turkey-hiding.gif

BTW: I may NEED to get some - What are the specific GAY "COLORS" . . .
anim-question-mark-smiley-75.gif

Shouldn't you be telling US? Take some pride! ;) (My uncle is gay and he won't even go anywhere close to those colors, although he'll proudly wear a purple or pink shirt, though. Hey, coincidences instead of puns! YAYYY!)

AND - More Importantly, If I told Ya' I would have to give up "My" GAY MAN CARD . . . ;) :rolleyes: :p :drool:

You gays... erm guys get a card? So you were basically saying that if I got one of those multi-colored T-shirts I'd just get carded and then be pushed aside for not being gay enough? So much better than being sued for false representation. We need a straight card so I can call women on not being lesbians. That could land me an extra date every decade!

OPPS - NEVER MIND - "My" BAD - I thought "You" said Your Tootle was "Fluffed" . . .
WinkingSunglassesSmiley.gif

(Which would not have been a BAD thing either . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;) :p)

A Tootle Fluffer is yet another thing we can't really discuss here unfortunately, but I like the way you're thinking! (A fluffer goes both way you know... or works both ways... I barely have any idea of what I'm talking about right now!)

Hop in anytime Uncle, 'was fun to read and quote you!

I find that if I pack the coil too tight with Rayon then there is a strong overpowering taste to the Rayon. All that is required to fix that, is to slide a little bit out of the coil till that taste goes away. You can do this with just the chimney bottom on the Kayfun and some fine tweezers.

I always test a Kayfun build with the chimney bottom and top installed after putting juice on the wick. Just take the chimney top off, pulls a little bit from the wick and test again till you find the proper amount to use.

Don't make me step on that tightrope again! (I think it turned into rayon wick somehow!)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I agree willi, been a Kayfun fan since the model 3.0.
I love my geni but my go to tank has always been a kf. Specially at work, each version keeps getting better in my opinion. Don't think I've ever ran more then 10-11 watts and the draw is perfect for a CIG type puff.

Next week, just like last week, yet another tank claiming to be the Kayfun killer will pop up,, yet places like vaperev can't keep real kf's in stock for long

I tried one of those alleged 'kayfun killers"... the Smok RBST or RSBT... not the RSST. In a word... nope. It vapes more like the Smok Caterpillar, really open and airy, and it's a massive .... pain to build *just right*. It's in the drawer along with the T3S's and Mini PT II's.. and Caterpillar. :D

The only thing I've tried that can challenge a well-built kayfun for flavor is the Magma, I really like it. The Veritas... jury's still out, but even with the airflow as closed as i can make it, it still seems too airy to me.

Andria

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I have a Russian 91% v.2.1 and 2 Hcigar Kayfuns v.2.5 (all Kayfun clones) and I can say they are pretty much as efficient as each other and much less costly than an authentic Kayfun.

I was told the authentics are still even much better, and I can say the machining is much nicer but you can't miss what you never had. I did once get an Hcigar Kayfun that woudln't screw on my device and that was confirmed at the shop where I got it. They exchanged it on the spot. That's all I have to say about that.

I'm fresh out of the tootle puffer closet... The only other closet I can come out of is the "alien abductee" closet, but they moved that thread to the café :D
turkey-hiding.gif

Shouldn't you be telling US? Take some pride! ;) (My uncle is gay and he won't even go anywhere close to those colors, although he'll proudly wear a purple or pink shirt, though. Hey, coincidences instead of puns! YAYYY!)

You gays... erm guys get a card? So you were basically saying that if I got one of those multi-colored T-shirts I'd just get carded and then be pushed aside for not being gay enough? So much better than being sued for false representation. We need a straight card so I can call women on not being lesbians. That could land me an extra date every decade!

A Tootle Fluffer is yet another thing we can't really discuss here unfortunately, but I like the way you're thinking! (A fluffer goes both way you know... or works both ways... I barely have any idea of what I'm talking about right now!)

Hop in anytime Uncle, 'was fun to read and quote you!

Don't make me step on that tightrope again! (I think it turned into rayon wick somehow!)

You came awfully close to being a cheeky monkey! :lol:

funny-animated-gifs-1.gif

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I tried one of those alleged 'kayfun killers"... the Smok RBST or RSBT... not the RSST. In a word... nope. It vapes more like the Smok Caterpillar, really open and airy, and it's a massive .... pain to build *just right*. It's in the drawer along with the T3S's and Mini PT II's.. and Caterpillar. :D

The only thing I've tried that can challenge a well-built kayfun for flavor is the Magma, I really like it. The Veritas... jury's still out, but even with the airflow as closed as i can make it, it still seems too airy to me.

Andria
If you like the flavor on the Magma then you really need to try the Origen V2 RDA, I have yet to see a Magma or anything else touch it for flavor. It can be built with single or dual coil and the air flow can be adjusted with hole sizes of 1.2mm, 1.5mm, or 2mm. This is not an airy RDA by any means and is designed specifically for flavor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread