Are you done stocking up?

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Underlining was added to show what parts I'm respondng to.

See, I'm not sure many US vendors wouldn't jump at the chance to charge what they could for it, if they utilized the old "supply and demand" pricing structure at that point. Maybe the UK vendors didn't do much of that though.

Well, my reasoning is based on the idea that there won't actually be a supply problem in this case, and in fact vendors will be eager to sell as much as they can before a deadline. And because there is more than one of them there will be competition for customers that will keep them from jacking prices up too high.

This seems to be pretty much what happened in the UK with the TPD, and it assumes a scenario much like the UK scenario, where nic vendors are going to continue to be able sell high concentration nic to businesses after the deadline. My guess is that DIYers make up a small fraction of the market, measured by volume, so it would take _quite_ a panic among DIYers to substantially reduce the nicotine supply.

As far as what we pay here in the US by the Liter
- I'm not sure I agree that we pay relatively high prices for it...compared to what others have to pay in other parts of the world.

Ah, I didn't mean that we pay relatively high prices in the US. I mean that DIYers buy in relatively small quantities and pay relatively high prices compared to businesses ranging from small juice companies up to manufacturers of cigalikes, NRT products, etc. who must go through nic by the barrel. My reasoning above is mostly based on some guesses about the relative sizes of the business to business and the business to consumer markets for high-concentration nic, and on the likely margins involved.

ETA: The least expensive vendor for flavorings over there...charges about $3.15USD for just 10mL of TFA flavorings, too! I felt so sorry for him...having to pay those prices for nic base and flavorings. The PG and VG wasn't cheap either compared to here.

Yes, it seems particularly onerous in that average incomes in India are substantially lower than in the US. The truth is that, while I don't like wasting money, the cost of DIY is not, over time, particularly significant for me. This is why I'm willing to pay for good nic- even if it costs $140.00/L shipped, or so... well that's what it would cost me to smoke for ten days or so.

OTOH the prices you cite seem as if they would be out of reach for a pretty large fraction of the Indian population, and quite significant even for a lot of the relatively affluent Indians for whom it is not wholly out of the question.

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
Near impossible to get a litre of nic in Canada for under $100CAD (about $70USD). Still super cheap IMO as a litre of 100mg will last my wife and I about 5.5 years. Over $30,000 in cigarettes if we still smoked. Crazy!

My nic has cost from $100-$160 for a liter. It has gotten cheaper as I buy it. A carton of smokes is about $100 these days.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ah, I didn't mean that we pay relatively high prices in the US. I mean that DIYers buy in relatively small quantities and pay relatively high prices compared to businesses ranging from small juice companies up to manufacturers of cigalikes, NRT products, etc. who must go through nic by the barrel. My reasoning above is mostly based on some guesses about the relative sizes of the business to business and the business to consumer markets for high-concentration nic, and on the likely margins involved.

Remember, Heartland is offering 25% off this weekend.
nic barrel.JPG

Next day air on this will kill any savings.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Warning number one came in 2009 when the FDA was having the Customs service confiscate imports of e-cig related things.

Warning number two came in 2014 when the Deeming was formally proposed.

Warning number three came in 2016 when the Deeming was finalized.

Are you familiar with The Parable of the Flood?

I am familiar with it. I'll just note that I am not waiting for supernatural assistance ;). A more apt parable might be that of the boiled frog, but... well, I've explained my reasoning at length above. And I am keeping an eye on things, and an ear to the ground.

Also, note that I'm not suggesting that those who have stocked up thoroughly (especially those with large freezers) are mistaken to have done so. Nic is not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, and "better safe than sorry" is a reasonable approach here. It's not as if the nic is going to go bad, if handled properly, and I might well start adding to my strategic reserve in the near future.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
View attachment 660347

Is that from Heartland? It seems pretty expensive if so... unless I'm borking my math pretty badly it comes out to around $34.00/L... which is about what they're charging for nic this weekend, right? If I were in the market for a 55 gallon drum I'd sort of expect a larger discount than is offered to consumers on Memorial Day weekend. Then again, $34.00/L _is_ pretty insanely low. It might be that they are selling to consumers at essentially the same margins they sell to larger businesses at.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Is that from Heartland? It seems pretty expensive if so... unless I'm borking my math pretty badly it comes out to around $34.00/L... which is about what they're charging for nic this weekend, right? If I were in the market for a 55 gallon drum I'd sort of expect a larger discount than is offered to consumers on Memorial Day weekend. Then again, $34.00/L _is_ pretty insanely low. It might be that they are selling to consumers at essentially the same margins they sell to larger businesses at.

Nah, that's the 55 gallon drum price before the 25% off. Regular price is about $10 a liter under the by the liter stuff (usually $45).

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Nah, that's the 55 gallon drum price before the 25% off. Regular price is about $10 a liter under the by the liter stuff (usually $45).

It took me a minute to parse you here, but assuming I understand correctly that makes more sense. I can see why people like them though- that's a remarkably small premium to pay for such smaller volumes. I sound like an ad for them now ;). I might have to grab some nic from them and see what I think of it.

Going back to my reasoning above, even buying 100mg a barrel at a time probably makes you a relatively small business. I'd guess that the really large buyers account for quite a lot of the market, and that they buy essentially pure nic in large quantities, have their own facilities for handling and cutting it safely (which shouldn't be all _that_ expensive- we're not talking about plutonium here,) and buy in volumes that allow for a much lower price.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Yes, lucky US people, your nic is SUPER cheap compared to us in EU! I spent more than this ^ just on shipping and VAT the last time I bought a liter of 100mg! Jealous! (And now, of course, I can't buy it at all, except in teeny bottles of 20mg or lower; I'm fully stocked, though.)
if you fly to america (if vacationing/biz of course),, got some nic (100mg) couldn't you take it back with little or no tax?,,,,,,pour it into a bottle of 'wine' if need be.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
View attachment 660347

lol,, my mind instantly said to me,,,,,,,,,ok,, get everyone organized for a roadtrip,, side of the road we roll the drum for a bit,, install a tap,, everyone bring their own gallon jug, fill up ,, and drive off. no LOITERING hahahaha

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It took me a minute to parse you here, but assuming I understand correctly that makes more sense. I can see why people like them though- that's a remarkably small premium to pay for such smaller volumes. I sound like an ad for them now ;). I might have to grab some nic from them and see what I think of it.

Going back to my reasoning above, even buying 100mg a barrel at a time probably makes you a relatively small business. I'd guess that the really large buyers account for quite a lot of the market, and that they buy essentially pure nic in large quantities, have their own facilities for handling and cutting it safely (which shouldn't be all _that_ expensive- we're not talking about plutonium here,) and buy in volumes that allow for a much lower price.

Oh, the only folks who would buy a 100 mg/ml drum have to be the lower volume vendors who don't want the hassles and risks associated with higher concentrations. Although I do not think the lower volume vendors are your local B&M who mix and sell a house juice, as that's a lot of nic to have in the back room. 200 liters makes more 30 ml bottles than the average vape shop might push out the door to justify that kind of outlay for inventory.

Or I'm completely wrong and there are tons of those blue drums out there. Now we just need to wait for one to "fall off the back of a truck".........................

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
if you fly to america (if vacationing/biz of course),, got some nic (100mg) couldn't you take it back with little or no tax?,,,,,,pour it into a bottle of 'wine' if need be.

heh! Flying in and out of the US these days is fully nerve-wracking enough without any contraband on board! And I'm a chicken! But I'm okay, I do have plenty of TOO EXPENSIVE nicotine to last for years. :) :vapor::toast:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
View attachment 660347

I can get the IV and a bulkhead to connect it to.

Question is, how am I going to hang this over my bed post?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Just checked some couple of day old emails. Here's more places that are ready to help you part with some of your money...during their sales. I haven't seen them on here yet, so:

Wizard Labs
15% off all flavors, PG, VG, and Nic solutions
Free S/H $50 and over
Ends 5/31/2017
Code: MEMORIAL17

Nicotine River
16% off everything
Ends 5/29/2017 @ midnight PST
Code: MEMORIAL

LiteCigUSA
15% off sitewide
Free S/H $15 and up
May 26-29
Code: EVERYTHING15

Mister E-Liquid
50% off all Clearance Items
50% off Select Eliquids
25% off all Starter Kits
May 26-27th
No code needed!
Discount automatic at Checkout​

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Just checked some couple of day old emails. Here's more places that are ready to help you part with some of your money...during their sales. I haven't seen them on here yet, so:

Wizard Labs
15% off all flavors, PG, VG, and Nic solutions
Free S/H $50 and over
Ends 5/31/2017
Code: MEMORIAL17

Nicotine River
16% off everything
Ends 5/29/2017 @ midnight PST
Code: MEMORIAL

LiteCigUSA
15% off sitewide
Free S/H $15 and up
May 26-29
Code: EVERYTHING15

Mister E-Liquid
50% off all Clearance Items
50% off Select Eliquids
25% off all Starter Kits
May 26-27th
No code needed!
Discount automatic at Checkout​

Thanks for rounding that up, JC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Oh, the only folks who would buy a 100 mg/ml drum have to be the lower volume vendors who don't want the hassles and risks associated with higher concentrations. Although I do not think the lower volume vendors are your local B&M who mix and sell a house juice, as that's a lot of nic to have in the back room. 200 liters makes more 30 ml bottles than the average vape shop might push out the door to justify that kind of outlay for inventory.

Yep- 55 gallons of 100mg is an unwieldly quantity, which might explain the lack of a real bulk discount. If you go through that much nic on the regular you should likely just bite the bullet and get some hazmat gear and a fume hood (I am _not_ talking abut DIY here, of course.) If you don't that's a difficult amount to store well enough that it will stay good for very long.

Or I'm completely wrong and there are tons of those blue drums out there. Now we just need to wait for one to "fall off the back of a truck".........................

When I was a very young man, and in desperate straits, I wound up working for some sketchy people in Montreal for a while. They were conspicuously lucky people in that they frequently found things that had fallen out of trucks. A bit of observation told me that in this, as with so much in life, one makes one's own luck. And now we have come full-circle. I suspect that these people had an instinctive understanding of The Parable of The Flood.

Last edited:

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    View attachment 660347

How do you like heartlands nic? It gives me a slight ashy taste when I go unflavored but not noticeable if mixed with flavor. Just wondering if others get that to. Btw it's not the premium nic just there cheapest one.

Users who are viewing this thread