Are you done stocking up?

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I'm not sure I get the point -- from a health perspective -- nicotine isn't the problem, the combustion of tobacco and mode of administration presents 95% of the negative health consequences associated with smoking. So you get ... less drug, more side effects, higher profits for cigarette companies because people will smoke more to get the same nic fix?

Am I missing something here?

In terms of getting everybody else around me who smokes to quit and try vaping instead... that was very exciting back around 2010-2011 or so, but I long ago stopped being a zealot and just answer people's questions if they have them. To each their own, vaping has worked for me, for which I'm very grateful.

They didn't say eliminate nicotine from combustible tobacco, but lowering it. That could be used to encourage smokers to give vaping a real shot, as the nicotine levels will not be reduced there. It will take a lot of consumer education to convince them to switch when they've had years of regarding and labeling vaping as the demon's spawn.

Dating back to the mid 1990s the US government started forcing lower nicotine levels under the cover of improving your health but mostly increasing tax profit. They turned a pack a day, into a 2 packs a day smoker by mid 2000 and with added taxes. In reality yes you are consuming less nicotine per pack but twice if not more tar and carbon monoxide while making up for the nicotine reduction. With vaping starting up around early 2008 we were fighting back against government regulation of watering down our nicotine and getting into our pockets. If it hadn't been for us rebels vaping may have never happened.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
In terms of getting everybody else around me who smokes to quit and try vaping instead... that was very exciting back around 2010-2011 or so, but I long ago stopped being a zealot and just answer people's questions if they have them.

You didn't quote part of my last post, but yours above does seem to be in response to it. So I thought I'd explain that I don't try to get "everybody else around me who smokes to quit and try vaping instead". Nope...you won't find me on a street corner with a handheld bullhorn, yelling about the benefits of vaping. I don't pass a smoker on the sidewalk and say, "Hey buddy...you really ought to try vaping instead of smoking". I'm not placing little vaping leaflets at the front doors of my neighbors who smoke either. :)

Here's just a few examples though, of how the subject of vaping has "come up" and I've passed along info about it: A neighbor saw me vaping while walking my dog, and asked, "Does that really work for you?"...I answered that question and others that followed it. Same thing when a group of my former co-workers met for lunch, and I was asked if I thought vaping could help someone's uncle who'd been smoking for 30+ years. Was also then asked if I could maybe help him with info, suggestions for gear, etc., if he was interested in vaping. Or my hairdresser, (who now dual uses), saw me putting away my mod/tank as I entered her salon, and said, "You're vaping now instead of smoking? I've heard that's worse than smoking." And this last 1 actually happened, too - I'd gotten out of my car in the Walgreen's parking lot and still had my mod/tank in my hand. I was on the sidewalk and noticed my shoelace was untied. While bent down to tie it, a pair of very hairy legs appeared at my side, and I heard, "Excuse me, but is that 1 of those vaping things? Does it work?" That chance encounter led to an unexpected discussion and another person deciding to try vaping. In each of those few examples...I didn't start the conversations about vaping at all.

So, I'm no zealot about vaping. But I will pass along what I know about it, help anyone with suggestions for getting started, etc. if they bring up the subject.
:thumbs:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm not sure I get the point -- from a health perspective -- nicotine isn't the problem, the combustion of tobacco and mode of administration presents 95% of the negative health consequences associated with smoking. So you get ... less drug, more side effects, higher profits for cigarette companies because people will smoke more to get the same nic fix?

Apparently it's not intuitively obvious why mostly eliminating nic from ALL cigarettes might lead to a lot of successful quit attempts. I see the logic and love the idea.

Oops, I thought I'd found some nic free tobacco but not after all. The way to find out about the potential would be for some dual users to get some and see if they help.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Dating back to the mid 1990s the US government started forcing lower nicotine levels under the cover of improving your health but mostly increasing tax profit. They turned a pack a day, into a 2 packs a day smoker by mid 2000 and with added taxes. In reality yes you are consuming less nicotine per pack but twice if not more tar and carbon monoxide while making up for the nicotine reduction. With vaping starting up around early 2008 we were fighting back against government regulation of watering down our nicotine and getting into our pockets. If it hadn't been for us rebels vaping may have never happened.
Well spoken Rob!

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Update to my stash from 1 year ago...good god does a year go by fast.

I picked up a large assortment of Picos, VTC Minis, and Sigelei spark 90's in august of last year. I also picked up a Clouper mini 30w. The Clouper is the only death. It started to fire by itself so I tossed it in the trash about 2 months ago. However, I've been using the same Sig 90w almost daily for a year straight. It's been dropped countless times. It's beat up, scratched, and even bent @ the 510 connection. Still works great. My wife has used the same pico for the same amount of time. Her's still looks new and works perfect.

I've used the VTC minis off and on as well as other mods but I wanted to point out that cheap mods can be durable as heck. Especially my sig 90. I have 2 more brand new ones in my stash box.

Tanks have been equally as impressive. I've been rotating kayfun lites and v3+ tanks. All of them are still on their original o-rings and screws. They all work good as new. I use PC tanks on my Lite bases and I have had to replace several of those for cracking around the threads but I have at least 40 replacements in the stash box so I could care less about replacing one every 6-12 months. I have a ton of parts for the lites and v3's so I'm pretty sure I'll be dead before I run out. LOL

I did make an order from FT recently with 4 kayfun v5 clones and a couple more mods just for fun. I really didn't need anything but hit had been so long since I ordered anything that I figured what the heck. As we all kinda expected, the doomsday date has been pushed and may never actually materialize but I don't have a single regret buying all the stuff that I did. My vape life has been on 100% cruise control. I vape unflavored over 50% of the time and only rotate 2 flavors now. I have enough DIY supplies to last me until I'm dead either way.

I mix juice for 4 people and interestingly, 3 of us have gravitated to mostly unflavored. I make a half liter for each of us at a time. The cool thing about a giant bottle like that is the flavor gets better over time. 6+ month old unflavored juice is really nice. Much better than fresh mixed. For those who haven't vaped unflavored, it has a flavor all on its own. The VG adds a nice sweetness and the nic base provides sort of a nutty/woody flavor. Unflavored is super easy on coils and wicks so that's a bonus.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Update to my stash from 1 year ago...good god does a year go by fast.

I picked up a large assortment of Picos, VTC Minis, and Sigelei spark 90's in august of last year. I also picked up a Clouper mini 30w. The Clouper is the only death. It started to fire by itself so I tossed it in the trash about 2 months ago. However, I've been using the same Sig 90w almost daily for a year straight. It's been dropped countless times. It's beat up, scratched, and even bent @ the 510 connection. Still works great. My wife has used the same pico for the same amount of time. Her's still looks new and works perfect.

I've used the VTC minis off and on as well as other mods but I wanted to point out that cheap mods can be durable as heck. Especially my sig 90. I have 2 more brand new ones in my stash box.

Tanks have been equally as impressive. I've been rotating kayfun lites and v3+ tanks. All of them are still on their original o-rings and screws. They all work good as new. I use PC tanks on my Lite bases and I have had to replace several of those for cracking around the threads but I have at least 40 replacements in the stash box so I could care less about replacing one every 6-12 months. I have a ton of parts for the lites and v3's so I'm pretty sure I'll be dead before I run out. LOL

I did make an order from FT recently with 4 kayfun v5 clones and a couple more mods just for fun. I really didn't need anything but hit had been so long since I ordered anything that I figured what the heck. As we all kinda expected, the doomsday date has been pushed and may never actually materialize but I don't have a single regret buying all the stuff that I did. My vape life has been on 100% cruise control. I vape unflavored over 50% of the time and only rotate 2 flavors now. I have enough DIY supplies to last me until I'm dead either way.

I mix juice for 4 people and interestingly, 3 of us have gravitated to mostly unflavored. I make a half liter for each of us at a time. The cool thing about a giant bottle like that is the flavor gets better over time. 6+ month old unflavored juice is really nice. Much better than fresh mixed. For those who haven't vaped unflavored, it has a flavor all on its own. The VG adds a nice sweetness and the nic base provides sort of a nutty/woody flavor. Unflavored is super easy on coils and wicks so that's a bonus.
    Do you steep your unflavored? I used to let mine sit in a drawer for 6mth, never noticed a change. What brand gives you the woody/nutty taste? Only got that from Heartland. Goes great with a cuppa coffee.

Reactions: bnrkwest

gerrymi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    I can't agree with forcing. You really have to want to quit.

Well lefty...I'm not sure that's always true...

After 50 years...I LOVED smoking cigarettes...and never had any desire to quit...

I ONLY ordered one of them thar newfangled electrical cigarettes (a MFS Starter Kit) to use in the increasing number of NO-SMOKING restaurants, grocery stores, etc...

When it arrived I filled it with ejuice...took 5-10 puffs...and put it right next to my pack of analogs...

I was completely surprised to find that, since then (going onto 4 years now)...every time that I've wanted to breathe some "smoke" in, blow some "smoke" out and get a "hit" of nicotine...I've used my e-cig...

[So...I guess...I kinda' gave up smoking "by accident" :shock: ]

Wow1420

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere out there
    I'm done. I haven't purchased anything in the last year, but for 4 new batteries and a liter each of pg and vg. I'm glad I stocked up when I did, as I caught some good sales on tanks I like, and they've now gotten harder to find at all.

A year of just using what I've got and I'm feeling very comfortable with the longevity of my gear going forward. Same 2 tanks and PVs all year and not feeling any wish for different. All I feel I need is a few replacement plastic tank inserts. I just broke one, the first thing that's broken in a year.

Trying new stuff was fun for a while, but now I'm in low maintenance mode, just fill and charge and I'm good. Vaping unflavored, so coils/rayon last for months.

The FDA may be softening towards vaping, but I still think eventual regs will favor BT's version of vaping over open systems.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain

In terms of getting everybody else around me who smokes to quit and try vaping instead... that was very exciting back around 2010-2011 or so, but I long ago stopped being a zealot and just answer people's questions if they have them. To each their own, vaping has worked for me, for which I'm very grateful.
    The Fda Is Stupid... Smokers Will Smoke More To Get Their Fix. ,.......rage

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    The Fda Is Stupid... Smokers Will Smoke More To Get Their Fix. ,.......rage
    Of course they will. Anyone who has ever been addicted to smoking knows that. And so does the new head of the FDA. Not sure what kind of game he is playing but you have to admit there have been more favorable articles in the news these days. Not saying the haters all of a sudden love vaping, but his approach seems to appease almost everyone for the moment. And as usual the smokers get thrown under the bus. As long as the powers that be continue to consider smoking as a choice, not an addiction, they will feel free to do so.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2013
    Sans Nom, USA
    Do you steep your unflavored? I used to let mine sit in a drawer for 6mth, never noticed a change. What brand gives you the woody/nutty taste? Only got that from Heartland. Goes great with a cuppa coffee.

It steeps by itself so to speak since I mix 500mls at a time. Since there is batch overlap, I don't finish the 500ml bottle for about 6 months.

My favorite unflavored nic bases are VapersTek and RTS (circa 2016). I also have Nude, Wizard, and RTS circa 2013 and they aren't as good for unflavored. I do notice a difference. The nic base oxidizes a little so the juice goes from perfectly clear with a fresh batch to yellow hue down the road. The yellow hue is the best.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    It steeps by itself so to speak since I mix 500mls at a time. Since there is batch overlap, I don't finish the 500ml bottle for about 6 months.

My favorite unflavored nic bases are VapersTek and RTS (circa 2016). I also have Nude, Wizard, and RTS circa 2013 and they aren't as good for unflavored. I do notice a difference. The nic base oxidizes a little so the juice goes from perfectly clear with a fresh batch to yellow hue down the road. The yellow hue is the best.
    Some people like their nic a bit oxidized while others do not. I also mix large batches of unflavored, which I store in 120ml bottles, and all but the one I'm currently using are kept in the freezer. :)

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    2 Roughneck drip tips from Half Moon Mods (today!) then I'm done

20901315_2013182952245858_7100801857429083720_o.jpg

Last edited:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    LOL! I'm done stocking up also, I buy now, just because I want to. Stocking up is done!
    That's a good way of putting it.:)

I didn't NEED the Crown 3 as I have about 20 other really good tanks (and another 20-30 older ones) but what happens in 50 years when my other tanks done did broke?;)

Users who are viewing this thread