ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
You want it snug,but not tight enough that the coil moves when you slide it through.If it pulls the coil,it is just a tad too tight.
I get that part. May need to just work on perfecting it. I have no problem with cotton, but took a couple times to know how to work it until I got it good every time. Rayon is a new animal to me so giving it a chance.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Thanks, just took a gander. Not giving up.

I'm still a newbie wrt rayon. I can't remember where (this thread?) that someone takes a chunk of the rayon - for 3mm coil, just under 1/2 the width; for a 2.5mm coil, divide into thirds. I rewicked my Serpent Mini last evening (3mm coil) and rolled the rayon (not back and forth, but in the same direction - if that makes sense) and got it into the coil. It's snug, but it didn't pull the coil. It's working quite nicely for me. I did have to hit it a few times for me to get past the initial "flavor" o_O, but now it's quite fabulous. I've been a cotton-gal for the most part, but I'm getting the hang of rayon. Just have to "remember" which is which :)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5

I get that part. May need to just work on perfecting it. I have no problem with cotton, but took a couple times to know how to work it until I got it good every time. Rayon is a new animal to me so giving it a chance.

I have been using Rayon for a couple months now, and am still not doing it right all the time it would seem due to my breakin issues, and I still find it a better option than cotton due to the longevity factor. I was changing cotton way too frequently which can be quite tiresome when you have 8 or 10 RTA/RBA floating around in rotation.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I have been using Rayon for a couple months now, and am still not doing it right all the time it would seem due to my breakin issues, and I still find it a better option than cotton due to the longevity factor. I was changing cotton way too frequently which can be quite tiresome when you have 8 or 10 RTA/RBA floating around in rotation.
That's why I'm trying it. My ADVs are sweet and stock coils I go through every two days, RBA cotton wick about the same but cheaper so hoping the rayon will prolong my need to rewick.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That's why I'm trying it. My ADVs are sweet and stock coils I go through every two days, RBA cotton wick about the same but cheaper so hoping the rayon will prolong my need to rewick.
My ADV's are sweet too. I dry burn and change wicks every two days. It makes me shudder how gross they are by the second day. :laugh:
See what your experience is with the rayon vs. the cotton for the flavor holding. I thought the flavor went off faster with the cotton.
I do a fresh coil everyday with the RM2. I don't dry burn that one. But it's quick, so not a big deal.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Gosh - it just makes me tired to think of all the re-coiling and re-wicking other folks are doing. It is one of the hobby aspects of vaping.

Since switching to mostly unflavored (sometimes light %5 clear flavoring) and Silica rope wick my setups last longer than I recall the last time I dry burned them.

The Kayfuns and newer STM's don't work well with rope so I'm giving the Ginormous box of Sally's Rayon a try in them.

It seems like a few weeks ago now that I started experimenting with two EVOD's. With mostly clear unflavored juice the stock factory coils they came with are still going strong.

Funny, I used to kill an atomizer in my old Aspire K1's in just a few days when using a Strawberry juice. I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how long these are lasting. (they get refilled every other day - staggered) That sugary juice really does kill coils/atomizers!

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Once you get it you will love it :) My first time I had too much in the coil, next time I did a bit less, snug but still moveable without distorting the coil. My tails I trimmed about half off into a point and it is working great. I am new to rayon too, but I really like it.

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    My ADV's are sweet too. I dry burn and change wicks every two days. It makes me shudder how gross they are by the second day. :laugh:
    See what your experience is with the rayon vs. the cotton for the flavor holding. I thought the flavor went off faster with the cotton.
    I do a fresh coil everyday with the RM2. I don't dry burn that one. But it's quick, so not a big deal.
    You change rayon wicks every two days?

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    You change rayon wicks every two days?
    I do. :(
    But I've always gunked coils quickly...this isn't anything new to me.
    My coils are lasting months though. :)
    My ADV is a French Toast mixed with a Stiky Bun dessert type.
    Maple, caramel goodness, not so good for longevity. :lol:

I must say, I love the big Kayfun tank, the juice lasts a long time between fills, that is so nice :) Not crazy about the screw for filling tho, but it does work well. Just fiddly.
    I'm used to it now, and it doesn't bother me, but yeah, it's kind of fiddly, but it sure works great.
    I carry an extra tank with me on the days that I work so I can just swap, and then I only have to refill them from home.
    :)

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    It's great that we can each choose the setup and level of maintenance we prefer, whether it be unflavored or sticky buns. That freedom has been one of the best things about vaping. These choices will be taken away by deeming, leaving fans of NETs and heavier sweet flavors to either replace pods frequently ($$$)or do without their preferred flavors. Future new vapers may never know how good it can be.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States
    Yes right now we have choices, I can't even fathom what it will be like at the end of this FDA mess. What if nothing gets approved???
    We will "still" have choices, some choices just may be more difficult than others.
    We can build, Mod, and obtain just about anything we desire, if we desire it bad enough.
    (see my signature)

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes right now we have choices, I can't even fathom what it will be like at the end of this FDA mess. What if nothing gets approved???
    Folks like us will be fine. Vapers that didn't stock up at all? Not so much.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    I am lazy. Really lazy. Rewicking, even if it takes about 5 min, is a chore for me. Fortunately I vape only slightly flavored juice and my cotton wicks last at least 2 weeks (10 ml/day). If I can double their longevity I'll be delighted. But I am afraid to try rayon. I like nice fat cotton tails in my tanks - with them I have no leaking. I never keep tanks in vertical position, they are always either in my hand or on their sides. No leaking. From what I read rayon wicks should be really skinny. It frightens me. I dream of my tanks badly leaking... Are my dreams justified?

oplholik

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
    I am lazy. Really lazy. Rewicking, even if it takes about 5 min, is a chore for me. Fortunately I vape only slightly flavored juice and my cotton wicks last at least 2 weeks (10 ml/day). If I can double their longevity I'll be delighted. But I am afraid to try rayon. I like nice fat cotton tails in my tanks - with them I have no leaking. I never keep tanks in vertical position, they are always either in my hand or on their sides. No leaking. From what I read rayon wicks should be really skinny. It frightens me. I dream of my tanks badly leaking... Are my dreams justified?

If you are happy with the cotton, I can't see any reason to change.
    I find the rayon more forgiving as far as burning. If you get it slightly dry, and notice the change in the taste, no harm done. For me a slightly burnt cotton, and it's done. Once that taste is there, it stays.
    You need a little fatter wick with rayon because it doesn't swell like cotton. Some thin the tails for better wicking, but I don't, but I'm a tootle puffer, and my wicks don't have any problems keeping up with me. If you are a high watt user,getting clouds, you need it to wick as fast as possible, and that's where the thinner tails come in. I didn't find getting the wicking right to be any more difficult than getting the cotton right. It just has to be a little tighter in the coil than the cotton. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread