Are you done stocking up?

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I am lazy. Really lazy. Rewicking, even if it takes about 5 min, is a chore for me. Fortunately I vape only slightly flavored juice and my cotton wicks last at least 2 weeks (10 ml/day). If I can double their longevity I'll be delighted. But I am afraid to try rayon. I like nice fat cotton tails in my tanks - with them I have no leaking. I never keep tanks in vertical position, they are always either in my hand or on their sides. No leaking. From what I read rayon wicks should be really skinny. It frightens me. I dream of my tanks badly leaking... Are my dreams justified?
The coil needs fat rayon, the tails need to be thinned :)

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Are there any fruits that don't crack tanks? How about sweet tea, is that tank cracker? I haven't had to think about this for so long I forgot ! LOL I want to try the bell cap but don't want to ruin it right off the bat LOL Maybe I will just try a custard.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I am lazy. Really lazy. Rewicking, even if it takes about 5 min, is a chore for me. Fortunately I vape only slightly flavored juice and my cotton wicks last at least 2 weeks (10 ml/day). If I can double their longevity I'll be delighted. But I am afraid to try rayon. I like nice fat cotton tails in my tanks - with them I have no leaking. I never keep tanks in vertical position, they are always either in my hand or on their sides. No leaking. From what I read rayon wicks should be really skinny. It frightens me. I dream of my tanks badly leaking... Are my dreams justified?
Yep. Rayon is wonderful.

Reactions: LoriP1702

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
If you are happy with the cotton, I can't see any reason to change.
I find the rayon more forgiving as far as burning. If you get it slightly dry, and notice the change in the taste, no harm done. For me a slightly burnt cotton, and it's done. Once that taste is there, it stays.
You need a little fatter wick with rayon because it doesn't swell like cotton. Some thin the tails for better wicking, but I don't, but I'm a tootle puffer, and my wicks don't have any problems keeping up with me. If you are a high watt user,getting clouds, you need it to wick as fast as possible, and that's where the thinner tails come in. I didn't find getting the wicking right to be any more difficult than getting the cotton right. It just has to be a little tighter in the coil than the cotton. Hope this helps.
Correct. Rayon wicks a lot better

Reactions: LoriP1702

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Are there any fruits that don't crack tanks? How about sweet tea, is that tank cracker? I haven't had to think about this for so long I forgot ! LOL I want to try the bell cap but don't want to ruin it right off the bat LOL Maybe I will just try a custard.

Here is most Tank crackers off top of my head.

Banana
Cinnamon
Most Citrus flavors.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

I use FA Peach, and Raspberry for my wife's juices, and it doesn't crack her plastic tanks.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
For rayon what I did is cut the tails to a point which took out about half the bulk. The coil was full of rayon but not so full it distorted the coil. I took about an inch of rayon and drafted out the fibers- gently pulled them out to give me a 2 inch piece, then I twisted it lengthwise and put that in the coil, it was tight but I could still move it without pulling the coil. This is a spinning technique that loosens the fibers to make them easier to spin and I thought why not try it with the rayon LOL I seemed to work well :)

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Here is most Tank crackers off top of my head.

Banana
Cinnamon
Most Citrus flavors.

You can add Licorice (anise) and Clove flavors to the list of tank cracker/frosters. I use a Pineapple juice that added a slight frost to my plastic H2 clearo's, so I think it was a bit harsh. I have a key lime that killed tanks and even made the silicone fittings in the clearo swell up and die.

Strawberry, peach, and watermelon have all been good for me in both the H2 tanks and the fancy Aspire ones I have now. Mine are less sweet, so the coils last a long time before they turn brown and gunky.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I have been vaping green tea with sweetener and vanilla bean ice cream in a poly tank for months and no cracking or discoloration.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
some of my mixes are fruit flavored. Pear, blueberry, apple and my favorite--Orange. None of them have cracked any of my tanks and I use mostly plastic tanks. I am thinking banana is the worst offender. I ruined one of my syringes by using it to measure some banana flavoring. It immediately seized up the stopper. I think it would do the same thing to plastic and it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't do the same thing to o-rings as it did to rubber plunger in my syringe.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
You got that right!

A LOT of vapers will have to go back on tge cancer sticks.

I sure hope they don't. What I would hope is that they find a method to stretch what they have and taper down to a level that is quotable. I do not want anyone going back to smokes...

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
some of my mixes are fruit flavored. Pear, blueberry, apple and my favorite--Orange. None of them have cracked any of my tanks and I use mostly plastic tanks. I am thinking banana is the worst offender. I ruined one of my syringes by using it to measure some banana flavoring. It immediately seized up the stopper. I think it would do the same thing to plastic and it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't do the same thing to o-rings as it did to rubber plunger in my syringe.

I am so sorry, but anything that reacts that drastically with plastics or o-rings is not going into my body...

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
You can add Licorice (anise) and Clove flavors to the list of tank cracker/frosters. I use a Pineapple juice that added a slight frost to my plastic H2 clearo's, so I think it was a bit harsh. I have a key lime that killed tanks and even made the silicone fittings in the clearo swell up and die.

Strawberry, peach, and watermelon have all been good for me in both the H2 tanks and the fancy Aspire ones I have now. Mine are less sweet, so the coils last a long time before they turn brown and gunky.
And "Dill" is a cracker.......

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am so sorry, but anything that reacts that drastically with plastics or o-rings is not going into my body...
I agree. I didn't try vaping any of it once I saw what it did.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
In the past every time they would talk about tank crackers I would always wonder if it does that to tanks what is it doing to us... Cinnamon was avoided by so many for a long time, but wiggled its way back into the popular juice flavors and I kind of figure as an accent - maybe, but not as a main flavor...

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
And "Dill" is a cracker.......
Lol's....wow, :w00t: that's good to know. :lol::lol::lol:
JK.

ETA: Somewhere within this forum is a really good thread that lists the known tank crackers.
I have it bookmarked at home, I can look tonight. :)

Users who are viewing this thread