Are you done stocking up?

motordude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
VA, USA
You can buy prewound coils, so all you have to do is wick them and install them. I bought some of those, too, to start with and to keep onhand, besides several spools of wire to make the coils with, too.
I did this too!
Fast tech has all kinds of premade coils, cheap.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I did this too!
Fast tech has all kinds of premade coils, cheap.
After learning how to make coils for my own peace of mind, I discovered those prewound ones too. I went with the NR-R-NR varieties to keep the insulators in good shape on the heads I rebuild. So handy and for a few bucks you have a hundred!

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I will have to take a closer look at the premade coils. Might be a good jumping off point. I am still not comfortable with it though. I need to do more reading.

I was so afraid of building until I actually did it. I used the premade coils I found on Fast Tech and that was very helpful in helping me get over my fear. Once I had my tool kit, it still took me a few days to feel ready to do it. Watching the building videos helped most of all, but make sure you watch the particular video for the RBA you plan to use.

I began building on the Kanger Subtank Mini which everyone says is an easy build. I agree that the build is easy, but I hated having to keep up with those short, tiny screws. I have moved on to an RBA that is much easier for me, the Digiflavor Siren. It's a very easy build, the flavor is even better than the Subtank Mini and the screws are big and aren't so prone to fall out of the hole when trying to trap your leads. You'll find your way. You'll find the right RBA that you will love to build. Just start with an RBA that's known for being easy to build, and use the premade coils if you'd like. It probably won't be long at all before, like me, you are wrapping your own coils and enjoying it!!

Riplea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2010
IL
You'll find your way. You'll find the right RBA that you will love to build. Just start with an RBA that's known for being easy to build, and use the premade coils if you'd like. It probably won't be long at all before, like me, you are wrapping your own coils and enjoying it!!

Thanks for the encouraging words and I am glad it worked out good for you.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
The Nautilus BVC coils from VapeHeart are small hole.
That means over a year old and noticeably inferior to the current ones.
They don't have the tiny "BVC" highlighted on the front of the package.
Look at the front of your Nauti BVC packs and compare.
You'll see it if it's there.
You'll notice the difference if you compare a new pack and an old pack.

My wife doesn't notice the difference in use so it'll be ok.
I have a couple of other friends that asked me about it because they can tell.

Be wary of "sales". Sometimes they're just getting rid of old stock.

I still have a few white box packs (2013) of small post Evod (not protank) coils.
Evod coil on left - Protank coil on right

PTvsEVODcoils.jpg

Last edited:

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I will have to take a closer look at the premade coils. Might be a good jumping off point. I am still not comfortable with it though. I need to do more reading.
My first experience rebuilding was more a hazing, and happened on the glorious DID genesis atty from Metal Masters. It took a minute (or many hours) to figure out all the blackening mesh, wrapping without shorts, and finally getting the coil to work. Only to discover that, whoops, if you turn the mod sideways, the tank will dump the contents all over everything else.

Ahhh, the good old days (or not). To be honest it was very annoying and endless (to me), because it was the stone ages, I didn't have a helpful friend next door or a local B&M to assist me, it was all trial and error and watching explainer vids on YouTube for concepts that were new to me. And no, in retrospect I did not love it, because to this day, I don't even want to hear about "genesis style" attys. Oh, the Avocado is a genesis? I don't even wanna see it. (Despite the fact that "genesis" today has nearly nothing in common with the olden days. I just have that strong an aversion to ever dealing with all that c--p again).

Anything you build on that's relatively new will be pretty easy. Kayfuns are ridiculously easy to build and very forgiving, I honestly don't know how "hard" it is to learn building on a particular deck/device, but in my experience everything is pretty easy these days and I've had at worst, very minor problems. Ahhh okay, this particular atty needs slightly more cotton or rayon arranged in a slightly different way to attain optimal functioning. To get better flavor, pull the coil up by another 1mm. Minor tweaks and adjustments to improve the overall experience. But just getting it to work is pretty simple most of the time.

Basically if you view the YouTube vids for <anything you want to build> there will always be a few that demo how to set up an optimal wick/coil for whatever device you're using.

Mostly it's 100% psychological and how you mentally feel about what's happening. If you think you can, you will. If you do it once, then you already know you can, so just keep going and refining your skills until they make you happy. It's not very difficult with the current gen of vape gear on the market!

All the best.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The Nautilus BVC coils from VapeHeart are small hole.
That means over a year old and noticeably inferior to the current ones.
They don't have the tiny "BVC" highlighted on the front of the package.
Look at the front of your Nauti BVC packs and compare.
You'll see it if it's there.
You'll notice the difference if you compare a new pack and an old pack.

My wife doesn't notice the difference in use so it'll be ok.
I have a couple of other friends that asked me about it because they can tell.

Just got my 3 boxes of the Nautilus BVC coils from VapeHearts.com yesterday. The BVC on the pic of the coil on the box isn't highlighted in white, like it is on many other boxes I've bought from elsewhere.

However, I just took the coils out of the VH boxes and compared them to coils from boxes with the highlighted letters BVC in white, bought several other places...and they're the exact same size holes on the VH BVC coils.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Just got my 3 boxes of the Nautilus BVC coils from VapeHearts.com yesterday. The BVC on the pic of the coil on the box isn't highlighted in white, like it is on many other boxes I've bought from elsewhere.

However, I just took the coils out of the VH boxes and compared them to coils from boxes with the highlighted letters BVC in white, bought several other places...and they're the exact same size holes on the VH BVC coils.
The holes are smaller than the ones I bought from ecig.com & evape.us
Seems that highlighted BVC isn't an reliable indicator even though these are SH.
Mrs. M will get the small hole coils. No problem mon :toast:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The holes are smaller than the ones I bought from ecig.com & evape.us

This is even more odd then, because 8 of the boxes with the white BVC on the front of the box, were bought from ecig.com just last month on January 7th. The coils in those boxes have the exact same size holes in them as the ones I got from VH, that don't have the white BVC on the box.

Mine from ecig.com (1.8ohm ones) all have a white sticker on the bottom of the box, with the numbers 161204700231 on it. And there's another larger white sticker on the back side of the boxes, that says Naut. bvc 1.8 5pk, and then the bar code with the numbers *301004* under the bar code.

Boxes from yet another place (local vape shop), are 1.6ohm ones and also have the white BVC on the box and the Aspire scratch and check sticker on the back of the box, with a bar code and the numbers 8 49660 01064 2 under the bars. That same sticker is on the boxes from VH, which are also 1.6ohm ones. Holes in them are also the same as the VH ones.

So, I'm very confused then. Not going to worry though I guess, if they all vape OK.

Last edited:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
My first experience rebuilding was more a hazing, and happened on the glorious DID genesis atty from Metal Masters. It took a minute (or many hours) to figure out all the blackening mesh, wrapping without shorts, and finally getting the coil to work. Only to discover that, whoops, if you turn the mod sideways, the tank will dump the contents all over everything else.

Ahhh, the good old days (or not). To be honest it was very annoying and endless (to me), because it was the stone ages, I didn't have a helpful friend next door or a local B&M to assist me, it was all trial and error and watching explainer vids on YouTube for concepts that were new to me. And no, in retrospect I did not love it, because to this day, I don't even want to hear about "genesis style" attys. Oh, the Avocado is a genesis? I don't even wanna see it. (Despite the fact that "genesis" today has nearly nothing in common with the olden days. I just have that strong an aversion to ever dealing with all that c--p again).

Anything you build on that's relatively new will be pretty easy. Kayfuns are ridiculously easy to build and very forgiving, I honestly don't know how "hard" it is to learn building on a particular deck/device, but in my experience everything is pretty easy these days and I've had at worst, very minor problems. Ahhh okay, this particular atty needs slightly more cotton or rayon arranged in a slightly different way to attain optimal functioning. To get better flavor, pull the coil up by another 1mm. Minor tweaks and adjustments to improve the overall experience. But just getting it to work is pretty simple most of the time.

Basically if you view the YouTube vids for <anything you want to build> there will always be a few that demo how to set up an optimal wick/coil for whatever device you're using.

Mostly it's 100% psychological and how you mentally feel about what's happening. If you think you can, you will. If you do it once, then you already know you can, so just keep going and refining your skills until they make you happy. It's not very difficult with the current gen of vape gear on the market!

All the best.
Well said, and so true!!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I dreaded rebuilding and mixing until my first build and later my first mix. It was all easy after that. The benefits were different from my expectations and exceeded them. I would be mixing and rebuilding regardless of government interference or cost and I'm not a flavor or cloud chaser.

My monthly mix takes about 20 minutes. A twice a month rebuild also takes about 20 minutes. A $5 spool of wire and a $10 bag of cotton will last about 4 years. My cost of ingredients for e liquid is about 5 cents a day. Vaping isn't cheap, it's free.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
Just put in a big order with MFS.

Two liters, 100mg/ml, 100%PG Nic
Seven new flavorings totaling 240ml
Four 250ml amber glass bottles
Ten 125ml HDPE Cosmo bottles
And five 60ml plastic dripper bottles.

Still on the list:
More bottles of the new flavors and the ones I have on hand
About ten more 125ml bottles
Ten to twenty more 60ml dropper bottles
Maybe one or two more spools of wire (not a necessity)
Various devices, rebuildables and spare parts.

So other than mods and tanks, I think I'm almost done stocking up for the end. This order makes 3L of nic in the freezer. Should be plenty, but if I start to see I'm going through to much, I'll start weening. I only plan on making 10-20 different flavors to vape, so I can focus on stocking specific flavors instead of whatever sounds good. And everything else I can just purchase as I need it.

Users who are viewing this thread