Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
9 Volt batteries present a Unique Hazard to most batteries because the Pos/Neg Terminals are on the same side of the battery. Making it Very Easy to Short the battery to anything conductive.

Couple that with Battery Chemistry that is Highly Reactive and you have a Good Recipe' for a Bad Day.

Reactions: puffon

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
From the Link in the OP's 1st Post....

"Schroeck’s attorney told the Tribune that his firm has filed several other suits over exploding batteries. How many vape shops will be sued into bankruptcy before all of them start providing a printout of battery safety guidelines, and insist employees explain them to each battery customer? Even better, how about investing in a rubber battery protector for each battery sold, or a plastic case for each pair?

A simple effort like that could prevent injuries, protect businesses, and force predatory lawyers to go find another easy target for litigation.
"

Hate see anyone get Seriously Hurt using a Battery. And Don't like seeing people competing for Darwin Awards with Personal Injury Lawyer sponsors. But at what point does a Retailer acknowledge that this is the world we live in?

And that 1 Lawsuit can Devastate your Business if you can't go into Court and present some form of Evidence that your Company made Reasonable Attempts to ensure a Battery Accident didn't happen.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
All of you claiming the user is at fault need to step back and remember what your knowledge base was like when you first started vaping. There are even long time vapers who are still pretty clueless about the power that's packed into each battery. Considering the number of shops (both online and physical) that sell batteries that are wrapped with outrageous CDR numbers, owners and employees are pretty clueless as well. Perhaps a lawsuit or two will wake the rest of the industry up and force them to start taking battery safety seriously.

I'm sorry for using inappropriate words.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Let there be a test for everyone wishing to purchase and use batteries and the results entered in a National Bank. So that god help the poor sole that doesn't have 2¢ worth of sense doesn't get hurt. I'd bet most of these cases will not be heard and the few that are, "No Fault". The batteries were not being used for what and where they were attended by the manufacture. You may see warning labels required which would be a good thing, but the cases have no cash value.

Reactions: Tonee N

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Let there be a test for everyone wishing to purchase and use batteries and the results entered in a National Bank. So that god help the poor sole that doesn't have 2¢ worth of sense doesn't get hurt. I'd bet most of these cases will not be heard and the few that are, "No Fault". The batteries were not being used for what and where they were attended by the manufacture. You may see warning labels required which would be a good thing, but the cases have no cash value.

Considering all the major battery manufacturers are on the record stating that their batteries are not designed for use in e-cigarettes, any incident involving battery safety has the potential for shutting down any business that sold the battery to the individual. There may not be monetary damages involved, but if enough sources are shut down that provide batteries for our mods, where will you be when you can't get good batteries any longer?

Vape shops are highly complicit, in that they provide these products and do not tell the customer anything regarding safety and safe use/storage. And considering they also sell batteries with grossly exaggerated ratings, they're just as clueless as those who buy them.

Reactions: Myrany

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Vape shops are highly complicit, in that they provide these products and do not tell the customer anything regarding safety and safe use/storage.
An example...I recently purchased a Samsung 25R at a local vape shop. They did not provide any sort of case or even a bag which left me trying to find a spot for it in my purse that could not POSSIBLY come in contact with anything metal. Yeah that was not easy but I managed. Imagine someone that did not know to worry about where to put it that was safe while getting it home. It has real fubar potential that could have been solves simply by providing a bag or box or something with the sale or at the very least info that you need to be careful where you put it to get it home. :(

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    9 Volt Batteries present a Unique Hazard to most batteries because the Pos/Neg Terminals are on the same side of the battery. Making it Very Easy to Short the battery to anything conductive.

Couple that with Battery Chemistry that is Highly Reactive and you have a Good Recipe' for a Bad Day.
    Can you imagine how many 'battery explosion' stories we'd see if 10 - 20 amp LIon batteries were 'shaped' like a 9 volt battery?

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    An example...I recently purchased a Samsung 25R at a local vape shop. They did not provide any sort of case or even a bag which left me trying to find a spot for it in my purse that could not POSSIBLY come in contact with anything metal. Yeah that was not easy but I managed. Imagine someone that did not know to worry about where to put it that was safe while getting it home. It has real fubar potential that could have been solves simply by providing a bag or box or something with the sale or at the very least info that you need to be careful where you put it to get it home. :(
    You had a purse, most guys would have stuck it in their pocket with change or keys.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    Considering all the major battery manufacturers are on the record stating that their batteries are not designed for use in e-cigarettes, any incident involving battery safety has the potential for shutting down any business that sold the battery to the individual. There may not be monetary damages involved, but if enough sources are shut down that provide batteries for our mods, where will you be when you can't get good batteries any longer?

Vape shops are highly complicit, in that they provide these products and do not tell the customer anything regarding safety and safe use/storage. And considering they also sell batteries with grossly exaggerated ratings, they're just as clueless as those who buy them.

I agree, I hadn't been in a vape shop in several years until recently. They sold my friend a couple of 18650s, they were in a paper box but no protective case. They didn't even offer to sell him one. He paid an 120% mark up from where I always buy my batteries from. Even with wholesale prices my provider claims to test to authenticate the batteries and provides a plastic battery case with every order. I may get edited here but, I get my batteries from Liion Wholesale. Once you learn the price your vape shop is paying for batteries you should demand a free plastic case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread