Arghhh.. the smell of smokers... rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
When I was a smoker I vowed to never become a holier than thou type if I ever quit smoking. Yes it does stink and yes I did stink but I will say nothing about it since so many were so nice to my stinky person during all those years of my smoking.
3 converts to vaping so far, 1 per month.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I don't think the OP was being contemptuous so much as they were stating a fact - cigarette smokers stink. Since most of us here were smokers, the fact was we stunk. Stunk all to hell. When I smoked, I stank. When you smoked, you stank. The smell of a fresh cigarette maybe one thing but the smell of stale smoke on someone? It's awful. It's part of the reason its a filthy habit. Be thankful the OP's sense of smell has returned and that stating that the stink is stink is bothersome. It's one of the signs for many that they are now ex-smokers. It is for me. It's doesn't mean I look down on smokers or consider myself above them.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I couldn't agree with you more, HauntedMyst. Every time I smell that smell, I use it to remind myself of the reasons I wanted to "switch" to vaping. But I do not condone society acting any more against the smoking population than they already have. I don't think it is right to make a known-to-be-addictive product legal, and essentially ubiquitous, then penalize and abuse everyone that get was unfortunate enough to be entrapped by it, and then revel in the inflowing tax money. Just my emotional response to the situation, I suppose.

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
I work with a smoker. We are housed in a small stand alone office building. I jokingly refer to it as the Love Shack. Shack for sure, I have no love for it though. Anyway, Steve smells soooooooooo terrible when he comes in from smoking. And I know just 1.5 yr ago, I smelled just as nasty. I don't want to get too close to him cuz of his stench and breath ! There are no walls separating us. Jus an open floor plan. It's only about 12' X 12' bldg. I've tried to turn him on to vaping. He has no desire to quit smoking. He thinks he won't be alive long enough that quitting now would make a dif. And he thinks vaping isn't any less harmful. I vape at my desk. So far he hasn't complained, and I have no plans on asking him if he minds - after all, I've been at this for going on 2 yr.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
I agree they stink, I don't go all ANTZ or anything, I just go away, if I can.
I think as quitters we have a greater sensitivity to it than others.
Don't know though 'cause I was always one of the stinky ones.

Hey, it's therapeutic to come on here and gripe.
Better to unload here than on a smoker.
I get the just of your post OP. Cheers.

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
Then again, if im vegan and consume 20lbs for veggies each day, then tests will not be in my favor. Im sure they have a set XYZ Nic level in their tests. Similar levels that are set for people who eat bagels with poppy seeds.

NO. There also is no way poppy seeds will show up in any standard test, unless you make a tea extract. You would have to eat more bagels thdn possible. Our bodies dont naturally produce nicotine and anybody who test positive at any levels was using some form, so it doesnt matter to MOST insurance companies.

ravensierra

Mar 22, 2015
Chch NZ
I was vaping a juice from a local B&M, it was chocolate, coconut, and almonds (Almond Joy flavor) and my son smelled the exhaled vapor and started looking to see where the cat had urinated. I didn't think anything about it until I let it steep for about 2 months and when I exhaled it then, it TASTED like cat urine. Nasty! Had to throw that bottle out. Not all juices smell nice when exhaled.

What was the nic level out of curiosity? Because nicotine is an amine like the ammonia compounds which give cat p**s its distinctive bouquet, and I could catch a trace of it in some high nic juices I started out with.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
Did you mean it Tasted like cat urine smells?
I would hope no one knows what it tastes like. :shock:

Yes. It was like he smell you get when cleaning out a litter box.

What was the nic level out of curiosity? Because nicotine is an amine like the ammonia compounds which give cat p**s its distinctive bouquet, and I could catch a trace of it in some high nic juices I started out with.

It was 12mg. The liquid itself didn't smell like that, it was just the heated vapor that seemed to take on that pungent fragrance.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I work with a smoker. We are housed in a small stand alone office building. I jokingly refer to it as the Love Shack. Shack for sure, I have no love for it though. Anyway, Steve smells soooooooooo terrible when he comes in from smoking. And I know just 1.5 yr ago, I smelled just as nasty. I don't want to get too close to him cuz of his stench and breath ! There are no walls separating us. Jus an open floor plan. It's only about 12' X 12' bldg. I've tried to turn him on to vaping. He has no desire to quit smoking. He thinks he won't be alive long enough that quitting now would make a dif. And he thinks vaping isn't any less harmful. I vape at my desk. So far he hasn't complained, and I have no plans on asking him if he minds - after all, I've been at this for going on 2 yr.

I had the same thought about dying anyway even if I stopped smoking. However I found I enjoyed vaping more than I did smoking.
Vaping is more inconvenient. More planning is required, if your battery dies and you did not bring another one you can't just run to the corner gas-n-go and get one for $5 or so.
Also hard to work while smoking even the little cigalikes are too heavy to hold in my lips. I do have a piece of surgical tubing I can slip one end over the tip an esmart clearo and have the esmart on an 808 automatic battery in my shirt pocket while I suck on a drip tip poked into the other end of the tubing. I wonder what you call that?
Tubal Puffing?

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Personally I don't mind the smell of cigarettes as they are being smoked. I do however find the smell ON people gross now & I'm glad that I no longer smell like that most of the time (sometimes if I go to a bar it's on my clothes when I get home).

Interestingly, I was in a drive thru yesterday with my daughter & she says, what is that disgusting smell. It was the person in the truck in front of us smoking. It's been really eye opening to consider that that used to be me. If a nonsmoker were to pull up behind me in a drive thru & I was smoking they would have smelled that. When I would come in from a smoke break at work, my coworkers would have smelled that smell on me. It's somewhat shocking really.

But I won't be judging anyone who still smokes because of that. There are enough self-righteous people out there who will judge them & they don't need me doing it just because I'm no longer in that camp.

codger59

Nov 21, 2014
NC USA
At my job, some times i have to spend time in close proximity, with people who still smoke analogs. And the analog smoke that they carry on them is plain offensive.

I just want to run in the apposite direction, so the smell (smoke BO) doesnt get on me.

Wish i could tell them to take anti radioactive bath before they interact with the rest of the none smokers in public.

I cant believe thats how i used to smell for so many years. If i knew this 10 years ago, i would have quit smoking 10 years ago.

The smell is is just efin toxic!!

end rant.
Hate to rain on your self-parade there, KGB7, but if you're vaping you're STILL considered to be a smoker by the actual non-smokers - subject to the same contempt you're spewing :pervy:. A lot of places are adopting the same rules for vaping as they did for smoking - and rightly so in some cases: if you're vaping a nic juice, you're exhaling nic vapor. And fair or not, nic and non-nic vapers are lumped together.
I have many friends/co-workers/family that still smoke - some have even tried vaping. However, having been a smoker for 40+ years, I don't begrudge them the habit - I know how hard it was (still is at times) for me. I don't preach at 'em either...when they pull out the puffs, I vape right alongside 'em. Lead by example, yknow?;).

WickedSick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2011
USA
When I was looking for a place to live , I found an apparent on a great location, with a great price and not a bad view. However the neighbors from the apartments down bellow were smokers and the whole place reeked like cigarette smoke ( hence the low price tag ). In the end I found another place , but I was lucky.
It is the same with the cigarette smoke, if you are lucky you will be able to stay waway from the stench , but this is not always the case.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
When I was a smoker I vowed to never become a holier than thou type if I ever quit smoking. Yes it does stink and yes I did stink but I will say nothing about it since so many were so nice to my stinky person during all those years of my smoking.
3 converts to vaping so far, 1 per month.

I am the exact same way. I couldnt stand that ex-smoker who constantly whined about smoking and I refuse to be that guy, but late at night when my wife lites one up in bed....damn it stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread