Artificial sweetener gives me headaches- advice, please?

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by KirLog, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. KirLog

KirLog Full Member

I just recently purchased two 60ml bottles of e-juice[blueberry and wintergreen] and did not realize that they use aspartame and such in the sweet flavors [I probably shoulda guessed, since I already know nutrasweet doesn't mix well with me, but I didn't imagine it'd even be vapable]. Now I'm getting headaches and nausea when I vape to the point I'm actually going back to analogs since I ran out of the menthol flavor I was using before.

Are there any sweet e-juices that use sweeteners that don't have these side effects, or should I just avoid all sweet flavors in the future? Also, should I put these up on the trade board in this forum? They're cheaper juice[top vapor from madvapes], but I've heard a lot of people say they like these flavors. I just can't endure the side-effects.

2. upStomp

upStomp Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

MadVapes uses Aspartame in their juice? That's a new one on me. I only order hardware from them (most TopVapor juice is too perfumey for me), but that's good to know.

3. KirLog

KirLog Full Member

Sorry if I am unintentionally being misleading. To clarify: I'm not SURE what artificial sweetener they use, but to me it tastes like, and has the same nasty side effects with me, as does aspartame. I was going to write them earlier and ask, but they didn't seem to a contact e-mail listed and I didn't have time to call.

Does anyone here know?

4. ShannonS

ShannonS Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I don't think that inhaling natural sugars is a good idea for a couple of reasons, not really going to go into all of them here. I know that a lot of vendors use liquid surcalose, likely because it is heat stable and aspertame is not. You can DIY and use stevia to sweeten your juice or buy non-sweet juice and add stevia, if that is a sweetener you can tolerate.

If you have an intolerance for all artificial sweeteners, it would probably be safest to stick with unflavored nicotine juice, since many flavors can have undisclosed artificial sweeteners in them.

Quitting analogs and getting too much nicotine can also cause similar symptoms. Are you certain it is from a sweetener and not another cause?

5. justboringsarah

justboringsarah Super Member ECF Veteran

I use liquid stevia in my juices. I haven't had any atty issues with it,and unlike sucralose it doesn't leave a funky chemical sweet aftertaste either

6. upStomp

How does Ethyl Maltol compare as far as chemical taste? I've tasted plenty of sweet juices, but very few have a chemical after-taste.

7. John Edwards

John Edwards Senior Member ECF Veteran

i normally use sucralose and i do beleive i know what you mean on the funky chemical aftertaste... so were can i get stevia?

8. Zurd

Zurd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    And you're telling this just after I received a bottle of Splendex, maybe I shouldn't have purchased it. Any other side effects those sweeteners can do? Like leaving lots of residue in atomizers? I tought they were safe to vape.

9. juicejunky

juicejunky Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Check out vaperite ejuices. The organic ones contain no sweetener at all and none of the juices Todd sells use Stevia.

10. silkakc

silkakc Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Kirlog,

I get headaches too from some juices. I ordered a bunch from Bluemist vaping and get a headache within 30 seconds of vaping them! Does it hit you like a needle in your forehead- dead center up near the hairline? It's such a distinct headache from Nutrasweet and Aspartame!

I have vaped 12 flavors from Kick Bass Vapor and they were all dessert flavors and tasted wonderful and gave me no headache!! Try them:Kick Bass Vapor

And I've tried using EM/Cotton Candy in my DIY juices and that doesn't cause me any head aches!!

Good luck,
    Lori

11. upStomp

That's what I was hoping someone would say.

12. justboringsarah

justboringsarah Super Member ECF Veteran

I got my Stevia from GNC. It's a liquid extract,the only ingredients are stevia,vegetable glycerin and PGA

13. hpjrt

hpjrt Full Member

While I don't know about the e-juices ... I know that Stevia often leaves an odd and bitter aftertaste when using it in cooking etc.

Bear in mind that VG is a natural sugar as well. It's quite sweet actually.

I'd hope that if you contacted the vendor of the e-juices, they could tell you what the ingredients are.

HTH

Mary

14. Some1OnThisForum

Some1OnThisForum Senior Member ECF Veteran

I too get headaches from these sweeteners =(

15. scalewiz

scalewiz Moved On ECF Veteran

NOW Healthy Foods - BetterSteviaI sometimes use this; can't remember exactly where I found it, but I know it can be gotten online and in health food stores. Contains only Stevia, VG and water; no alcohol.

Use it sparingly. Typically I don't go over 1 drop in 3 ml of juice to sweeten. Too much and it can get a chemical aftertaste reminescent of Saccharin.

: madvapes
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.