Ask an engineer...bigblue30

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigblue30

ECF Veteran
It's been a long time since I posted anything here. Now that the ULTRA line and new web site are up and running I thought I would take a moment to see what's on your minds

Please let me know if you have any questions for the "techy" guy. Some thoughts that I had were battery quality, battery life, battery ratings, care and maintenance of the ULTRA line, or anything at all you would like to know about the SmokeStik products.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
OK. Is the ultra battery regulated to output roughly the same power from first puff to last? I saw something alluding to this deep in the owner's manual. If true, this makes the ultra much better than any other ego 650 (beyond the VV)

Next, the regulating circuit must eat a bit of capacity. But even if the 650 regulated lasts as long as a 450, it's still worth it. What fun is half of the battery discharge below the power where you enjoy the vape?

Nice product! Great paint finish, it looks like it can take a beating. lol, I'll let you know in a year!

bigblue30

ECF Veteran
OK. Is the ultra battery regulated to output roughly the same power from first puff to last? I saw something alluding to this deep in the owner's manual. If true, this makes the ultra much better than any other ego 650 (beyond the VV)

Next, the regulating circuit must eat a bit of capacity. But even if the 650 regulated lasts as long as a 450, it's still worth it. What fun is half of the battery discharge below the power where you enjoy the vape?

Nice product! Great paint finish, it looks like it can take a beating. lol, I'll let you know in a year!

Dave, Thanks for the question. It is good to know that someone reads my posts.. LOL

I am also the inventor of the Evercool mod and have talked a lot about the different kinds of battery "regulators" out there. Please let me answer your question by going over some of the different ways to regulate battery output. Please forgive me if you already know all of this, but hopefully it will help someone else.
Just for the sake of argument lets say that a lipo battery (the battery that all e-cigs use) has an output of 3.7 volts and we are talking about using a battery to heat a coil or atomizer.

Basic e-cig design:
This uses a battery and a switch to power the coil until the battery uses up enough voltage (power) to cause the battery to shut down. The problem with this is when the battery is fully charged the voltage from the battery is high, and as the battery "runs" down the voltage drops with every puff, giving you very inconsistent puffs form the first one to the last one,

Basic regulation:
Uses a fixed resistive load in line with the battery and atti to drop the voltage to a useable level. This kind of regulation usually uses more than one battery and is very inefficient because it "burns" off voltage from the battery as heat to bring the voltage down to a useable level. Again as in the example above, as the battery runs down the output from the battery runs down making very inconsistent puffs from the first one to the last one,

Smart regulation (electronic chip of some sort):
This is very much the same as basic regulation except it use a "smart" resistor that constantly changes its load to keep the output to the coil constant. Although this does produce a more consistent puff from first to last, it also "burns" off voltage as heat to regulate the output, making Basic and Smart very inefficient.

Both of the circuits about have an efficiency rating in the 60% range. This means that 40% or more of the battery power is wasted as heat and not delivered to the coil.
I agree with your statement above that using this kind of regulation will make a 650 mAh battery last as long as a 450 mAh battery or even less.

There are many other ways to regulate battery power, but instead of going into all of them lets jump to the way we do it...We use a single battery with pulse regulation. Without giving away any company secrets (I really do like my job..LOL). Let's look at how this works.

We start with a single battery that is connected to our PBC (printed circuit board). This PBC handles all the battery charging tasks, the commutations with the battery and the ULTRA charger and the output voltage to the coil. This is one reason that you should always use the ULTRA charger to charge your ULTRA batteries.

When you push the fire button on the ULTRA battery, the PBC uses a circuit to charge a capacitor to the output voltage we have set it to. We chose our output to work with the ULTRA coils and the ULTRA liquid.

Once the capacitor is charged, we "dump" this voltage to the coil... we then recharge the capacitor and "dump" it again... over and over.. many, many, many times a second. as long as the fire button is pressed.

Doing it this way we are in the 90's% of efficiency. This is one reason our batteries last long between charges and why we get a very consistent hit from start to finish. Another reason is that we use only Grade A batteries. They really do make a difference.
Thank you again for asking the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread