(ASK)Polyoxymethylene (POM). is that safe material for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermopylia

Aug 24, 2016
INA
I bought the Derringer clone online, and it came with 5 different top cap (ss, bronze, brass, black and the white) I didn't realize there are 2 plastic cap until I received them (the black and the white), do you know if they are safe to use? Would the heat from the rda and the plastic top cap result In plastic fumes?

derringer_5_topcap.jpg

Thermopylia

Aug 24, 2016
INA
Correct, i wouldn't use plastic top cap if i were you, i highly recommend you not even trying to use it.
Plastic chemicals will get burned out quickly, that is just not healthy.
I recently read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene#Properties

and thougt the same as you think. it said that POM melting point at 175 °C (347 °F).. and I dont even know that this product is POM or not.. I just assuming because other forum guy said it was POM/Delrin. :confused:

Personally, I wouldn't use a plastic top for an atomizer.
Safety first absolutely :thumbs:

JimZet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2015
Why sucking on the hole? you can use any drip tip. Just use metal or glass top-cap.
You can't heat metal or glass top-cap to the level where it executes gas when vaping, ur mod will not lat you exceed the temperature, or if you have mech mod, u'll feel taht ur mod is so hot u can't hold it xD.
Drip tip is abit higher then where all the heat goes on, so its ok.

Reactions: Gramdogg

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Why sucking on the hole? you can use any drip tip. Just use metal or glass top-cap.
You can't heat metal or glass top-cap to the level where it executes gas when vaping, ur mod will not lat you exceed the temperature, or if you have mech mod, u'll feel taht ur mod is so hot u can't hold it xD.
Drip tip is abit higher then where all the heat goes on, so its ok.

All vaping atomizers have a non-metallic insulator between positive and negative, usually made from heat resistant plastic.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Ok thanks ya'll. Sorry for going off topic about my drip tips. Top cap I'd think would be ok too just because the temperatures it would have to reachto release gas would make metal so hot it would burn you. As stated by jimzet your mod would shut down long before it gets that hot.

Reactions: Thermopylia

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I'd go with SS as the safest option there. Brass is a metal alloy made of copper and zinc; the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties. It is a substitutional alloy: atoms of the two constituents may replace each other within the same crystal structure. By comparison, bronze is principally an alloy of copper and tin. However, bronze and brass may also include small proportions of a range of other elements including arsenic, phosphorus, aluminium, manganese, and silicon. Copper is not safe to inhale from at high temperatures. Again none of them should get hot enough to release any of that stuff anyways, but safest would be SS.

Reactions: Thermopylia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread