(ASK)Polyoxymethylene (POM). is that safe material for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I'd go with SS as the safest option there. Brass is a metal alloy made of copper and zinc; the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties. It is a substitutional alloy: atoms of the two constituents may replace each other within the same crystal structure. By comparison, bronze is principally an alloy of copper and tin. However, bronze and brass may also include small proportions of a range of other elements including arsenic, phosphorus, aluminium, manganese, and silicon. Copper is not safe to inhale from at high temperatures. Again none of them should get hot enough to release any of that stuff anyways, but safest would be SS.
Brass = Copper + Zinc..

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Yeah a rubber mostly, i still wouldn't risk using plastic top cap and wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Not rubber - usually PEEK these days on quality equipment.

I'd personally use a POM driptip, but wouldn't trust it as a material for a cap where the heat is higher, especially if it's made of Chinesium.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Copper is a neurotoxic heavy metal linked to physical and psychiatric symptoms on par with mercury and lead. Just so it don't come up copper pots and pans are usually lined with SS or tin so you don't go mad as a hatter (mercury used in hats ages ago) from eating.
I have a kennedy 24 in Copper, no copper drip tip available, overkill.
Do you really think anything but the coils would get hot enough to shed deadly molecules? The risk is to workers feeding the furnaces..

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Do you really think anything but the coils would get hot enough to shed deadly molecules? The risk is to workers feeding the furnaces..
I don't think it would get hot enough to have POM do anything so obviously no. Just saying lol. Unless you dry burn it for quite awhile with no juice it shouldn't get that hot. eg. if your paranoid use SS, it's safe even if your cotton ignites and creates a furnace you don't notice right away lol.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

The risk with some metals is not necessarily the heat. The acidity of some juices could damage the oxide layer of some metals and release toxins into the juice.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I just know about it from other vaporizers as far as heat goes. AzPlumber is right though it's the other stuff I mentioned that would concern me (if I was concerned about POM at all). "bronze and brass may also include small proportions of a range of other elements including arsenic, phosphorus, aluminium, manganese, and silicon." All made in China so who knows what they use... whatevers cheapest I'm sure.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
All the hazard analysis on this & other threads. I do applaud the Positive self regulatory aspect of the vaping industry & more the individuals on ECF..

Yeah do whatever you want I always say. I don't vape certain juices with AP or possible diactyl either though I'm told it's safe or a myth on here. I just always suggest the safest in this case SS but give my opinion as well. "Should" all be fine but SS is the only one that has pretty much no chance of being harmful. There is a reason most tanks are made of SS these days and not cheaper metals or plastics... paranoia mostly IMO but I wouldn't suggest them either lol. I know there is no legal responsibility to suggesting rest are safe but mortally if your paranoid about POM probably stay away from bronze and brass too.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Unlined copper is banned here in Canada. Not from the heat of cooking, because temperatures would be much hotter then your stove to produce fumes, but because food touching copper is shown to transfer chemicals like Az was talking about. Guess this is why the FDA is taking over in USA, so if something does happen they ain't responsible for it lol.

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
Not rubber - usually PEEK these days on quality equipment.

I'd personally use a POM driptip, but wouldn't trust it as a material for a cap where the heat is higher, especially if it's made of Chinesium.

I've had a rough day today at work, I wanted to thank you for making me laugh at chinesium. Also, adding that to my vocabulary. :)

Thermopylia

Aug 24, 2016
INA
From heat alone POM would have to be so hot touching it would cause 3rd degree burns. Brass would be so hot it looks red... both should be near impossible with these vaporizers though. Using acidic juices is another story... like I said if your paranoid at all just use the SS one OP lol.

First I might try firing these POM things using acidic juices just to get to know what would happen when they get together. So the case is still a myth that POM is safety enough or pretty harmful material to used in Atomizer.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
First I might try firing these POM things using acidic juices just to get to know what would happen when they get together. So the case is still a myth that POM is safety enough or pretty harmful material to used in Atomizer.
The juice concern was for the metals. PC acrylic plastic ain't good for acidic juices but POM should be ok. Seems split on POM being ok for RDA but metals for sure have copper among other things. I only suggest SS but you should be ok. Report any plastic taste and let us know lol. You are using a mod with over heat protection?

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Found this you. He is using quad coil 0.13 Ohm's.
[–]alextheawsmTampon 2 points 1 year ago
That's what I figured. I'm waiting on my clone from Fasttech along with a black POM cap. I'm really curious if the POM cap will keep the atty any cooler.
permalinkembedparent
[–]devildogjake 2 points 1 year ago
It does, I have all the top caps and this quad coil was only vapeable with a delrin tip and a pom cap with the AFC ring out. The ring fit in there but restricted the flow too much to make it pleasant. I run it with a little delrin tip and a stainless steel cap at .2 ohms. Its great.
Guessing he would have tasted melting plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread