Aspire 40A 1800mAh 18650 Retest Results...only 25A but hardest hitting battery I've tested

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased for the purposes of testing with donations made for that purpose. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    While it has an exaggerated current rating this is an incredible 25A continuous cell that meets its 1800mAh rating. It's using a different cell than the one I tested in July 2015, performing better and less sensitive to heat. It is the hardest hitting cell I've tested to date, beating the Sony VTC series, LG HB series, and the 25R5. While running a few degrees hotter than the LG HB series it runs about 25% longer due to its higher capacity and extremely flat discharge curve.

This cell is ideal for mechanical/unregulated mods due to it holding its voltage relatively steady until empty. It can be pulsed at up to about 50A before its voltage gets uselessly low or it overheats.

The previous version was an ICR-chemistry cell and this one is marked as such too. Each person has to decide whether this is a concern or not. There is some debate whether they are true ICR or a hybrid chemistry. The web site says hybrid but the int'l safety standard test reports say they're ICR.

EN62133 safety report list of components
    image.jpeg

Previous Aspire 1800mAh Cell vs This Newer Cell
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached over 1650mAh. This is good performance for an 1800mAh-rated cell operating at 10A so I am rating this cell at 1800mAh.
    • Its temperature at 15A continuous was 62°C, significantly below the average for a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 69°C, significantly below the average for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 81°C. This is above the average for a cell operating at its CDR but below the upper limit for the range of average temperatures.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 89°C. This is too hot for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 35A continuous the temperature rose to 98°C. This is extremely hot and almost exceeds my 100°C safety limit.
    • Two more discharges at 35A continuous showed no signs of damage. This is very different from the previous version of this cell, which showed a lot of damage after just one discharge at 35A continuous.
    • At 40A continuous the temperature rose to 108°C. This is extremely hot and exceeds my 100°C safety limit. This is clearly not a 40A continuous cell.
    • Two more discharges at 40A continuous started showing some damage to the cell but not much, much less than the previous version suffered at 40A continuous.
    • I am setting a CDR of 25A for this cell since at this current level its operating temperature is near the upper limit of the average for a cell operating at its CDR. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 25A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

2. VapieDan

VapieDan Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

So this is an excellent battery. However as you stated a previous version was not. Who is to say as we speak they are not using yet another source for their batteries? At best this is a crap shoot and it may be best to stick with the major manufacturers.

beckdg, Mooch and sonicbomb like this.
  3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I won't speak for Mooch, but I agree with your commentary.

With LG, Samsung, and Sony (assuming they are authentic) you pretty much know the quality of battery you're buying if you buy from reputable vendors. These three major manufacturers are consistant, leaders and innovators in the market, and you can trust the battery specification sheet as being accurate.

With the other companies, it is indeed a crapshoot what you end up with. These companies can change the cell they use at any point in time and you'll never be aware of it. Many also inflate the ratings on their battery specification sheet. Knowing this, why would you buy anything other than an LG, Samsung, or Sony?

That's my :2c:

4. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    No disrespect intended to Mooch, but as stated re-wraps are a gamble, with at best dubious benefits.

Mooch and VapieDan like this.
  5. VapieDan

VapieDan Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

What folly is this? Genuine batteries are quite reasonable even from the legitimate vendors. In fact I see those first line batteries often less expensive then the "off brands". Do these dolts believe the wrapper ratings?

6. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    I agree guys.

But there is a huge number of vapers who are very successfully using rewrapped and Chinese-manufacture batteries without problems. I feel that if they're already aware of the false ratings they're not going to stop because we talk about what might happen.

All I can do is to continue to report what I find and hope that folks realize that, for almost every case, buying Samsung/Sony/LG costs less, gives more consistent performance, and ensures that you get the same battery under the wrap every time...assuming it's genuine. There are partial exceptions though, the Aspire being an extraordinary performer for example, but you're right. The battery can change at any time and already has changed once.

For me personally, each person has to choose what battery they want to use. I won't tell them not to use rewraps or Chinese-manufacture batteries. Especially since that is the only choice we have for non-18650 batteries. However, I will give them the tools to make an informed decision based on the risks they're willing to take. This is no different than someone wanting to ride a motorcycle rather than drive a car. As long as they know how much the risk of injury goes up there's not more we can do. Or should do?

I completely respect your decisions though and they happen to match my choice for the batteries I personally use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.