Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I'm looking at these 3 mods. My kbox 160 busted after 2 1/2 months and I need a new mod. I'm trying to keep it under $50 and want a durable mod that ain't gonna just stop working after a few months. Please help me out with this decision so I don't buy another lemon . I respect the collective knowledge of this forum, there is none better on all the web. So if you have an opinion please speak up-which mod should I go with or am I missing a mod that is around the same price and is better? Help a poor guy out, please.

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
If you were unhappy with the build quality of the Kanger, you'll likely find similar problems.with the Cuboid. Joyetech mods have a long history of having poor 510 connectors.

If it was a drop that caused your Kanger to croak, you might be happier with the Archon... it's crafted of high impact plastic with an aluminum door... VERY light weight and it feels durable.

Note that I have the Cuboid 150, the Archon, and the Kanger... none have presented me with any issues... I do not have the Cuboid 200.

Other devices to consider in your price range could include the Battlestar and the Tarot Pro... I have neither, but the Battlestar is in my short list. The Tarot Pro is not on the list as I have the Revenant which uses the same board.

Looks aside, I would avoid the Banshee... it's in your range, has a great design aesthetic, feels good, but the board is not the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
It wasn't a drop that broke it, that's why I'm disappointed. It just got wonky every now and then and just stopped working yesterday. I have found the smok alien 220 and the wisemec 2/3 in my price range also. I know both of these are quite popular. What does the collective wisdom of the forum think of these two choices? Is one a better choice as far as durability go? I am easy on my mods, I still have my sigelei zmax that works like a charm but now that I've had real power I can't go back to it. So I'm kinda in a hurry on making a choice because the zmax just don't satisfy my vaping needs. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The Smok Alien is a decent devuce, but the finish is generally pretty poor. A lot of folks report a lot of chipping and peeling of paint. The RX2/3 puts you right back in with the notorious Joyetech 510 (Joyetech, Wismec, and Eleaf are, for all intents, the same company), and the door connections can get wonky. Of these two, the Alien is likely the better choice. I do own both, and have had no issues with either... just reporting what I've read...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Smok has a bad history with me so it takes more than a couple new mods and a few tanks to change a horrible reputation. I think Smok makes junk. Wismec series has been out the longest and very few bad reports. I never buy a mod in the first six months of release as I let others do the testing of time. I do have a RX2/3 but very seldom use it. Have some much older mods to break down before I get on to my four or five new ones waiting their turn. Pegasus is one of the worst mods ever realised, and for kanthal coils it is my go to mod. Takes a beating and keeps on vaping. Go figure. LOL Good luck with your new mod as there is a lot of hit and miss in this industry. CHEERS!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I have an Alien and the finish is amazing. From what I have found out the early or initial runs had problems but was addressed by Smok. The haze on the screen is the protective film which picks up the flash.

upload_2017-3-19_22-5-45.png

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I have bought 3 mods in the 4+ years I've been vaping. The sigelei zmax, the aspire Pegasus, and the piece of garbage kbox160. I like the Pegasus, sort of, it works but after using the kbox I realize how weak it is. I have it on 70watts, the max, and it doesn't hit nearly as hard as the kbox did at 50. It works just not great but at least it works. I try to find mods that last and I'll go a.w.o.l. From this forum and the vape scene for a couple years to let the vape tech to evolve. Let all the new tech get the bugs worked out and try to find a winner. So far I'm not doing so good so hopefully someone will tell me what mod is the greatest, most durable mod out right now, I'll buy it and be happy for a few years and check back in oh say 2020. So someone please tell me the answer. What mod will hit hard and constant for the next 3 years all day everyday that won't break the bank?????? The million dollar question. Someone please tell me the answer. Better yet just give me a link where to buy and you won't have to put up with me until the 20's. Hehe that sounds funny, the roaring 20's. Let's bring back the charleston.

Reactions: Eskie

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I have an Alien and the finish is amazing. From what I have found out the early or initial runs had problems but was addressed by Smok. The haze on the screen is the protective film which picks up the flash.

View attachment 642573
How long you had the alien? Have you had any firing problems with that side button? Do you use it all the time (your primary vaporizer)? Do you know of anywhere I can get it cheaper than $50 shipped?

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I don't have any experience with Wismec, and my Aspire mod is a Vision Spinner. However, I have the Alien 220, and to me, it's amazing. I have several Smok products, and it's by far my favorite mod. The paint and firing button issues were early issues that were eventually fixed. I would suggest the Alien to anyone who might feel that it's up their alley.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I don't have any experience with Wismec, and my Aspire mod is a Vision Spinner. However, I have the Alien 220, and to me, it's amazing. I have several Smok products, and it's by far my favorite mod. The paint and firing button issues were early issues that were eventually fixed. I would suggest the Alien to anyone who might feel that it's up their alley.
Good to know, thanks for the input. How long have you had it and does it get a lot of use?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I've only had it about 3 weeks. But it's one of my primary daily vapes. The batteries get decent life, I have a TFV8 Cloud Beast on it so it guzzles juice, but I haven't had to change a coil in it yet.
I was hoping you were going to say it's your only mod, you chain vape constantly all day everyday because you don't have anything better to do, when bored you whip it against a brick wall, you have a 100mph fastball, you've owned it for at least a year, blahblahblah.com has it for $9.95, and it has never misfired nor has the paint even chipped despite the fact it's over a year old and gets whipped against a brick wall daily by a guy with a 100mph fastball. Oh well, I think The Rolling Stones said it best, "you can't always get what you want".

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
How long you had the alien? Have you had any firing problems with that side button? Do you use it all the time (your primary vaporizer)? Do you know of anywhere I can get it cheaper than $50 shipped?

I have had it since the end of last year and the first X4 Quad coil lasted over 10,000 puffs with no firing problems. I have V1.2.1 and never did an update.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've had an Alien in daily use several months now. Maybe I've just been lucky, but the finish looks like new (black/blue trim). Works well and I even just picked up the little 1 battery brother of it, the AL85. Only a few days but happy with it so far.

I have Wismec products including an RX200@ and a Presa 100. Both work and are fine, although not in use daily (actually in the stash in original boxes right now for if I ever need them). Wismec is notorious for a poor 510 connector and thin wiring. The RX2/3 seems to present another issue and that's wonky power connection thanks to that changeable back from 2 to 3 battery setup. I personally would avoid it on that basis along with the other possible negatives I mentioned.

I don't have an Archon, but it looks nice. Very similar form factor to a Plato which I really like.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thanks for the reply Eskie, I think I'm gonna go with the alien. It seems like most people are happy with them and if the worst thing that happens is some paint chips I'm fine with that. I'm gonna wait until the end of the day, to do more research and see if anyone else chimes in with another perspective, and order something tonight.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks for the reply Eskie, I think I'm gonna go with the alien. It seems like most people are happy with them and if the worst thing that happens is some paint chips I'm fine with that. I'm gonna wait until the end of the day, to do more research and see if anyone else chimes in with another perspective, and order something tonight.

Are you going for the kit with the Baby Beast tank? FYI, it does produce great clouds, the flavor is good, you can blow through the 3 ml capacity (not sure it really is that much) in an advertising break. I got my Alien without one, but my AL85 did come with one. If I were to stick with a Smok factory coil, I'd go with the Big Baby Beast which holds ~5 ml. There is also an RBA available for both (you need an extension glass for the Big Baby which I think it comes with but double check if you get the BB) so you can build your own to save money, as well as use SS coils for TC if you're into that. Right now Smok does not offer any TC coils for these tanks.

Outside of that, it's a solid little mod, and really is a nice small size for a 2 battery setup. The firing bar is also very nice. Oh, and I've not had any rattles or whatnot on the buttons or bar.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The Alien is a very good mod. The paint on mine shows some wear but nothing horrible. The temp control works but I like the most tc on my Wismec mods more. I have plenty of Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf mods and love them. I'd suggest the new Predator 228 instead of the rx2/3 though. Some users have had issues with the battery doors on the rx2/3. It's true that Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf don't have the best 510s (though you shouldn't have problems if you're careful and don't force down your atomizers), but that's been fixed on the Predator. I don't have mine yet but most reviewers seem to prefer it to the Alien.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I'm looking at these 3 mods. My kbox 160 busted after 2 1/2 months and I need a new mod. I'm trying to keep it under $50 and want a durable mod that ain't gonna just stop working after a few months. Please help me out with this decision so I don't buy another lemon . I respect the collective knowledge of this forum, there is none better on all the web. So if you have an opinion please speak up-which mod should I go with or am I missing a mod that is around the same price and is better? Help a poor guy out, please.
have you looked at the battlestar? it's a personal favorite of mine can be had under 40 bucks shipped from the US at misthub.com (use code reddit15 for 15% off) and is built like a tank
the TC in SS mode is also much better then the mods you listed as well. the alien is agood choice too. I love my aliens
here is my battlestar review I did

Reactions: centauri272

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
The Alien is a very good mod. The paint on mine shows some wear but nothing horrible. The temp control works but I like the most tc on my Wismec mods more. I have plenty of Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf mods and love them. I'd suggest the new Predator 228 instead of the rx2/3 though. Some users have had issues with the battery doors on the rx2/3. It's true that Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf don't have the best 510s (though you shouldn't have problems if you're careful and don't force down your atomizers), but that's been fixed on the Predator. I don't have mine yet but most reviewers seem to prefer it to the Alien.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
I preordered the predator and plan on jumping on it as soon as it comes in for a review

Reactions: KenD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread