Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Thanks again for all your help Garnoch.

Well, I got my Atlantis EVO today and I'm one happy vaper. I filled it up and didn't even bother to prime the coil, as the instructions didn't mention this and one review I listened to said it wasn't needed. (That did make me a little nervous;)) I waited about 10 minutes, pushed the button at 30 watts and out comes vapor; no popping, no gurgling, just smoooooth vapor. I moved the wattage up and it just got better. I stopped at 40 watts as this seemed about right. I will play around with it more latter, but it's really nice. None of the popping and gurgling that was the norm, at least some of the time, with my Melo 3 and my wife's Cubis tanks. I do need to get some new juice. I was using some 50/50 3mg juice with my Melo, but I'm out and all I have is high PG (70/30) 6mg that I liked for MTL, but the throat hit is a little much for me with DL. I've always used high PG because I thought the VG kind of felt heavy on my lungs, but I'm gonna try bumping up my VG to something like 30/70 PG/VG and see how that works out.

Thanks for the update. The .5 will be a tighter draw, but I think the .4 was preinstalled and I'm running that at 40 watts too. Or at least I was up until a day or two ago. I have a two week update....

So two weeks running the .4 in one EVO and the .5 in the other. Each has seen over 40ml of juice. Both are going strong. The flavor has dulled a little as of a couple days ago but not by much and not nearly as quickly as with the Cleito (and as I've said, I love the Cleito). I bumped each up 1 or 2 watts and they taste almost as good as new. At this rate, I assume I'll run these at least another week before swapping which coil gets which juice. I'm still not sure which coil I'll be buying in mass quantity, but I have decided I prefer the EVO over the Cleito. I guess it'll be 4 to 6 weeks before I put a Triton Clapton in one and an Eleaf EC Notch in the other, unless I rush the process just so I can so it. :)

And yeah I love high PG for MTL throat hit but I've tried it for DL and it kills me haha.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
When I figure out which EVO coils I'm going to buy, I'm kind of interested to see how one does in my Melo. It would be nice to think that a coil change might make the Melo close to as good as the EVO.

It should help. A Triton coil in an Atlantis or a Triton tastes identical to me, and that same coil in a Melo III tank tastes almost identical.

Some people didn't like the Melo III regardless of coil because of it's chimney. I guess it made a slight difference, but not a big one to me because I still liked the Triton coils in it, like I did in the other tanks.

That's one of the reasons I'm interested to try a Triton coil in the EVO - because the chimney is the tank in the EVO. I assume right now though that the Triton coil will taste even better in the EVO than in the Atlantis, Triton or Melo III, plus I assume that coil tastes very much like the .5 EVO coil.

I think the .4 EVO coil you're using now would taste much better in your Melo than the Melo coil did, making the Melo tank very usable. I don't think it will taste quite as good as in the EVO tank though, and I think your airflow will be more restricted. Not a big deal because it still makes the Melo a very usable tank. On the flip side though, I don't think the EVO tank would taste nearly as good with the Melo coil you were using.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Still just loving it, and it's made me a believer in DL, at least some of the time. I still find myself going back and forth. I think I'll be more in the DL camp when I get my juice for DL sorted out. I've been using it so much that I hadn't bothered to put on the 4ml glass, but I finally got tired of filling it so often, that I changed it today. I think I like it even better as it cools the vapor down some. I've always heard people who would say that this tank or that tank makes their juice taste "SO" much better and I kind of always thought "yeah sure", there's not all that much difference, but I was wrong. This tank does make a difference. It's also made me want to try my hand at building, so I just ordered my first RTA (Serpent Mini). I had always thought I'd like to try building, but when I settled in with carto tanks, I just sort of put that on the back burner.

Reactions: Garnoch

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Two and a half weeks and around 60ml of juice for each coil and I decided to swap them out tonight. One juice out of the two always gets bland before the other. I could have kept going with the juice that always seems to taste good longer, but I didn't want to unrealistically push it. This is when I would normally change my coils so I did. I have a hard time stretching a Cleito coil to a week and a half or two weeks based on flavors muting so I'm really happy with that. I'm happy to say that I had zero leaks, no messes or even a sticky finger.

Reactions: Ed_C

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Thought the EVO would look great on a Vaporesso Target Mini and together would be perfect for a pocketable night on the town. Here you go...

29667558625_b379bbda76_h.jpg

29667558945_7c4a2f3e89_h.jpg

29042852323_b47296e4ff_h.jpg

29667559015_648d0079b0_h.jpg

29042852993_00d2ce34c1_h.jpg

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Looks great! So have you ever used the 4ml extension or are you happy with the 2ml? I mean on the Target, I'd keep it on the 2ml, but the 4ml isn't too bad looking on the Pico, although the 2ml looks a bit better on it as well.

I considered it and I'm sure I will at some point, but I haven't yet. Compact usually wins out for me and though I don't mind the size of the Cleito at all, which is basically what the EVO is with the 4ml tank, I'm enjoying the compact feel right now - plus I like a warmer vape. If I had only one, I'm sure I'd be using the larger glass, but with using two, I just fill them both up once in the morning and once in late afternoon and I'm good to go.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Day 9 Update: I had been using up some 70/30 (PG/VG) juice that I had on hand, but I wanted to try some higher VG juice. I ordered some 30/70 unflavored to which I added a little menthol. I filled an almost empty tank with the new juice, waited a few minutes and took a couple of draws and then got a slightly burnt taste. I kept vaping for the following day and the burnt taste lessened, but it seemed like the coil was just about shot. I have been getting a little slight flooding from time to time, but it clears out in just a draw or two. I replaced the coil with the 0.5 and I put in some 50/50 juice as I was a little worried about the 70% VG not wicking. This tank should be able to handle 70% VG shouldn't it?

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Day 9 Update: I had been using up some 70/30 (PG/VG) juice that I had on hand, but I wanted to try some higher VG juice. I ordered some 30/70 unflavored to which I added a little menthol. I filled an almost empty tank with the new juice, waited a few minutes and took a couple of draws and then got a slightly burnt taste. I kept vaping for the following day and the burnt taste lessened, but it seemed like the coil was just about shot. I have been getting a little slight flooding from time to time, but it clears out in just a draw or two. I replaced the coil with the 0.5 and I put in some 50/50 juice as I was a little worried about the 70% VG not wicking. This tank should be able to handle 70% VG shouldn't it?

Bad coil maybe. I find those are very very rare with Aspire coils, but it can definitely happen. I'm using 90VG juice in both the .4 and the .5 and they both handle it fine. In fact the .5 is on the verge of being oversaturated. I have come to the conclusion I prefer the taste of the .5 though so I'm going to bump up to max VG. Even the Atlantis and Triton coils with the smaller juice holes can handle high VG so I really think you either got a bad coil or maybe just fired it before it was fully ready and burnt the cotton. Once that happens, you might as well toss it out right away.

4Yankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
United States
I found that the evo had AMAZING flavor with the ni200 0.15 TC coils from the triton, but i was having lots of wicking problems with the EVO when i moved away from those good coils it came with. Probably user error, probably chain vaped too much, perhaps had my temp settings too high, but that was simply my experience. Switched to the tfv8 baby, is working perfectly for my vaping style, and still performs quite well even as low as 35 watts on the .4 coil that came pre-installed. YMMV.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I found that the evo had AMAZING flavor with the ni200 0.15 TC coils from the triton, but i was having lots of wicking problems with the EVO when i moved away from those good coils it came with. Probably user error, probably chain vaped too much, perhaps had my temp settings too high, but that was simply my experience. Switched to the tfv8 baby, is working perfectly for my vaping style, and still performs quite well even as low as 35 watts on the .4 coil that came pre-installed. YMMV.

Thank for the info. So you had good wicking with the coils it came with though right? High VG? I'll be testing the Triton .5 Clapton and the Eleaf EC Notch soon. Both have smaller juice inlets and I'll test both with 90VG juice.

4Yankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
United States
Thank for the info. So you had good wicking with the coils it came with though right? High VG? I'll be testing the Triton .5 Clapton and the Eleaf EC Notch soon. Both have smaller juice inlets and I'll test both with 90VG juice.
The best wicking of the bunch. I've been plagued with dry hits on every tank ive tried thus far, even hinting at a couple with tfv8 baby. Reading the entire internet trying to solve this, but it held up relatively well with 70/30 and 80/20. I probably need to not hit it every 10 seconds for half an hour.

Reactions: Garnoch

4Yankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
United States
I ended up purchasing a couple of packs of the 0.4 EVO coils. They both seemed good, but I liked the wider open draw of the 0.4s I think. Which seems odd because I still MTL about half the time.
The .4 was the clear favorite for my GF and I. Seemed all around superior.

4Yankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
United States
One day I like one better, then next day I like the other. I may wind up stocking up on both coils.
Neither one was bad to me, i like them both. Really can't recommend the triton temp control coils highly enough. It was amazing when it worked for me. Cuttwood mega melons at 500 was every bit as tasty as most drippers I've tried!

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Well, I tried a 0.4 EVO coil in the Melo III. First thing, it seemed to screw in kind of roughly. I'm not sure if I didn't get it in quite straight or what. I'm going to take a better look when I get low on juice. It's not leaking or anything, so I guess it's in there. I do think it's somewhat better than the eleaf coils that I have tried in the Melo, but it's definitely muted compared to the Atlantis EVO. While I'd say the Melo is usable, the EVO is the clear winner in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread