Aspire Bottom Vertical Coil and Nautilus Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
Thanks for the input! I've already tried a whole range of voltages. Above about 5.5V I start to get a hint of that "overcooked" taste so I haven't gone above that.
I haven't given up yet. I actually really like how these things look so I'm sorta hellbent on getting them going.

Some say their is a break in period it gets better in a couple of days. Mine hit right away

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I've been using mine off-and-on for about a week now. Been through....maybe three tanks in each.
No joy. Ima swap in some new heads in a little bit. If anything changes I'll pipe up. Maybe I'm just expecting
way too much. ;)

Some say their is a break in period it gets better in a couple of days. Mine hit right away

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
Anyone know how to clean the BVC's? Like if I want to change flavors of my juice ? It is not addressed in my Nautilus Mini instruction book and I can't find
the info . Can you rinse these BVC's and dry burn them like a pro tank or RBA coil ? I got an extra 5 pack of coils with my order but at the price of these coils I am not
about to tear apart a perfectly working one to see the inside.
Also it is very difficult to remove the bottom portion of the tank to refill. I am careful not to cross thread when I put it back together after filling. Today when I went to
refill it I had to use rubber jar grips to get the thing apart. I did not over-tighten it when I last refilled it, just hand tightened it until it stopped screwing in.
Anyone having trouble removing the bottom tank piece to refill?

I can't say how to clean them I use mine with my favorite flavor and have not wanted to change it. I need more tanks lol. I think you are still over tighten it. I barely snug it up. Even at that it takes a little effort to get it loose. Just try to back it off a bit more and I think you will be fine.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I only just picked up my BVC Nautilus Mini tonight, so I haven't had much of a chance to vape on it. Right now I'm still just basically fiddling with it, slowly turning up the voltage to break in the coil, and finding which adjusted level of draw I prefer. I think the tank itself is pretty attractive, though it definitely radically changes the appearance and way I handle my iTaste vv v3.0. So far I've brought it up from 3.3 volts to around 3.8 volts. At 4+ volts I was starting to get occasional hot vapor spikes, and throat hit was really a bit too much for me. I also had some brief gurgling while I was making draw adjustments, but that appears to have mostly gone away. That might just be due to my possibly having over diluting my heavy VG juice. I'm not sure what to do when this device gurgles, as I can't just blow juice out the bottom through the air hole - as there is none that goes all the way through and out the bottom. I've not had any leak issues as of yet.

The increased throat hit is generally a good thing for me as I ramp down the amount of nicotine I use in my e-liquids. The Nautilus Mini feels like it has the least muted flavor impact of the 3 different bottom coil clearomizer tanks I've tried so far, but it has yet to truly "wow" me. I do like being able to adjust the airflow. That has been helpful in achieving the maximum "sweet spot" the device is capable of achieving. All of my other clearomizer (top or bottom coil) models typically have their head's usefulness die out on me after only 1 or 2 days. I will be pleased if I can truly get a week or more of vaping out of this tank's coil before I have to replace it, but so far I've only used it for half an evening.

Other than their short lived coil head life, which is no small issue, I actually rather like the vape I get off of my Triton system tanks. They are a top single coil design that is top, rather than bottom, filled. For me, that top fill design is a pretty handy feature, especially when I am out driving for long hours. (Yes, I refill my top fill tanks while driving sometimes. It is pretty easy to do safely with a bit of practice.) I can't do that with any of these bottom fill models. Flavor delivery is also pretty good compared to most bottom coil designs I've tried so far, with no real leakage issues. I may have to find an eGo threaded version of that Triton tank to try out on my variable voltage iTaste. I may not really need much more than the equivalent of that. The Nautilus Mini's flavor delivery early on is nearly as good as that of the Triton tank. I'm still "breaking-in" the Mini, so I'm hopeful it will perform even better as I continue to vape it. How much better remains to be seen.

I have a few observations of note regarding the Aspire Nautilus Mini I received. It came with two 1.8 ohm coil heads. It came fully assembled with one of those already installed. There was no 1.6 ohm head, indicating that Aspire might be completely dropping those - even as a separately purchasable replacement. To my surprise (as I had been led to believe otherwise), the battery contact is spring mounted on the Mini, just like on the larger Nautilus. I like that feature. That way I can tighten up my setup enough that the aesthetically required beauty ring (for mounting on the iTaste) doesn't freely rotate - while still being sure I'm not damaging either the tank or the battery in the process. The airflow adjustment ring has click stops at each of the 4 air holes. These clicks stops only hold fairly lightly, so there is a chance of the ring inadvertently being rotated away from your desired draw setting. The ring can be infinitely click-spun in either direction, so it is easy to lose track of which size air hole you are on. The difference between each air hole size is not all that clearly marked. Pictures I've seen of the latest Aerotank models indicate to me that Aerotanks are much more visually clear about which air hole size you are set to. Other than that I don't know much about the Kanger Aerotanks, so I can't compare them much in any other way to the Aspire Nautilus tanks.

acka

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I usually vape SR carts at ego type resistances so thought these would be tailor made for me after seeing the reviews, but I don't know, I've put em back in the box for now. I never use clearos or any rebuiladables so really out of sync with these. I'm amazed I feel I need to put them at least 4v+ to get them going and then the vape can be super harsh on my throat ( I may need to drop my nic, I don't know, this is completely new to me compared to carts). Just don't understand how I can vape 3ohm carts at 3.5v and need these so high? Could be the draw's not good for me but it can be so wet I feel I'm drinking the juice and such a sharp hit. Really pointed rather than full and cloudy imo. I'll try them again in a while, but I presume they're not bringing out higher resistance coils as, well, they wouldn't work.

cocoabellaRSD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Texas
I can't say how to clean them I use mine with my favorite flavor and have not wanted to change it. I need more tanks lol. I think you are still over tighten it. I barely snug it up. Even at that it takes a little effort to get it loose. Just try to back it off a bit more and I think you will be fine.

I believe you may be right. Because I was super diligent on my next to last juice refill when I replaced the end cap. And on my last refill it was easier to get off.
I think with each refill it seems to be getting a little easier to remove the bottom cap. So I may have gotten overzealous that time when I tightened the bottom cap
making it near impossible to get off. I was scared I was going to crack the glass tank. But using those rubber jar grips on the top cap and bottom cap I finally got it
apart as I mentioned in my previous post. Now I am paying close attention when reassembling to just screw it till the bottom cap joins the glass tank so it will seal.
This tank gives an amazing flavor but blows through juice fast. I have the 1.8 ohm coil , vaping at 10 watts with a NET tobacco. I just wish I new how to
clean these coils since I only have the one nautilus mini right now. I've been searching the net but can't find any info on BVC coil cleaning.
The downside to this nautilus mini compared to my PT's is I can rebuild my PT coils which is very cost efficient. Having the airflow control on my PT's made
a big difference on their performance but the nautilus mini gives a more pronounced flavor than the PT.

thanks for your reply.

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oh, just wanted to say, the inside of the drip tip that came with the Mini is rusting as all hell...... This isn't good... not good at all. The drip tip on the original is fine though, but after a few washes and ultrasonic, the drip tip from the Mini is completely rusted out inside.

I can take a pic if anyone likes

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thing is, I got mine today and I don't think it lives up to the hype. Needs really high voltage to produce good vapor and although flavor and HT are good I think they're not worth the price. Also, from time to time vapor production decreases, meaning it can't keep up with my vape pace and it dries out.

I have had it only for a couple of hours, we'll see down the road how it fares.

As for cleaning, it should withstand a good rinse in running hot water and a soak in alcohol. I'm not sure about a dry burn, but since it's ceramic filling, it might. For the time being just the wash should do the trick nicely. Leave it a good time under the running water.

I'm also concerned about the glass tank. I don't want to lose it on a drop. Other tanks have whitstood some drops without harm, but who knows...

sparky_ahs

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Wow, I must have gotten lucky, or I am not to picky at all. I came on to see how many ml or tank fills yall get before the atomizer goes bad or loses all quality vape. So far I haven't gotten an atty to quit working, but I notice the wicking ability drop in the bdc's (aspire or clone) after about 50 ml of juice (home brew little to no color in most of my flavors and half'n'half on the pg/vg). The bvc coils last to about 60-70ml then I notice the gunk restricting the air flow and less vapor but no burnt wick taste. I tried cleaning one of the bvc coils by soaking in alcohol and it seems to have destroyed the wicking ability, haven't tried with the bdc's because Imho the bvc's taste and perform better.

@ erikbal make sure you don't have the clone, I have both an original and a clone, the most noticeable difference is the center of the 510 connection, the genuine has a stiff spring and silver/stainless connection where as the clone has a spring basically the size of a micro coil sandwiched into what appears to be a brass or copper housing. That spring acts like a coil and will even burn out, making higher ohm readings and less or no connectivity to the atomizer, I did a bit tinkering and took a spring from a bic lighter and replaced the burnt out coil of soft wire (original spring). My clone works good now, but I got some back up parts from aspire to replace when necessary.

Also I average about 9 watts on my vamo

Last edited:

Anarchy84

Jun 4, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
I've been running 1.8 ohm BVC coils at 11 watts with 100% VG juice. They typically run about 3 weeks at 3-4ml per day. I'd guess about 60-70ml per coil. After that I toss them.

anarchy84-albums-pics-picture378275-img-20141002-131718-2.jpg

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Thing is, I got mine today and I don't think it lives up to the hype. Needs really high voltage to produce good vapor and although flavor and HT are good I think they're not worth the price. Also, from time to time vapor production decreases, meaning it can't keep up with my vape pace and it dries out.

I have had it only for a couple of hours, we'll see down the road how it fares.

As for cleaning, it should withstand a good rinse in running hot water and a soak in alcohol. I'm not sure about a dry burn, but since it's ceramic filling, it might. For the time being just the wash should do the trick nicely. Leave it a good time under the running water.

I'm also concerned about the glass tank. I don't want to lose it on a drop. Other tanks have whitstood some drops without harm, but who knows...

no dry burning at all or its toast..

I just picked up an Aspire nautilus mini two days ago, and for my 3rd favorite tank this month…… This tank with the BVC coil is by far my best tank yet. The vapor production and the taste by far outweigh what my Kanger protank mini, and my emow could possibly produce. My Aspire K1(BDC) and now the nautilus mini (BVC) are my 2 tanks in rotation. I can't possibly see anyone being disappointed by these BVC coils, I'm using 1.8 ohm and they take whatever wattage i throw at them. For me the mini's 2 mil tank size is perfect. Do yourself a favor.

Spenelli

Nov 16, 2010
MO
I am having a problem too with unscrewing it. The guy in the store had warned me about screwing it too tight. Well I am a very weak girl. xD I screw it on just enough I'm not afraid of it leaking, but every single time I refill it I have to get my bf to unscrew it. He is tough as .... and still sometimes even he has to use a pair of plyers. This is the best tank I've ever had but it's becoming a pain in my ....

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've been using the Aspire BVC heads for the the non-Nautilus models a lot recently, with generally very good results. They are a bit more size friendly, for smaller clearomizers like the Aspire ET (which still holds a not bad 3ml of juice), compared to the Nautilus Mini - though there is no airflow adjustment. They are less power hungry than the larger Nautilus BVC heads as well, which just works out better for me on most batteries I use, like the Innokin V3, or even a little 650mah eGo type battery.

I've been looking at trying out a Joyetech eGrip, which I understand can be modified to use the non-Nautilus BVC heads. Does anyone here know anything about that, and how well it works out? The eGrip normally comes with its own proprietary 1.5 ohm dual-coil head, which works pretty well, but the Aspire BVC heads are still considered better overall. I'm also still getting pretty good performance from the Innokin iClear 16 dual-coil heads (especially as regards vapor and flavor), but they just don't last as long as Aspire BVC heads, and have have the juice capacity of an Aspire ET, which is pretty significant.

I can use an Aspire BVC head for over a week without switching out the head. That saves me money, and cuts down on hassles. I can carry less backup gear with me, even on long trips. That sort of benefit is nearly priceless. Worry free, hassle free vaping is something I can't live without these days. I don't even bother with building my own coils these days, though the vape performance when I did was definitely better, but I was always had wick issues. That wasn't fun. I'm sure I could eventually do better, but these days, with these kind of heads (like the Aspire BVC heads), why bother?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread