Aspire CF mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ECF, my name is Bill and I just purchased an Aspire CF mod (18650 type) and I am a bit confused on the wattage/voltage issue. The mod is rated at 30w max and uses battery voltage from 3.5 to 4.2v. My question is, if I use an rda with a dual coil and it will use say, 34 w but only about 3.7 v, (hypothetical figures) will I be able to go ahead with that setup even though the wattage is higher than 30 but the voltage being drawn is within the mods range or do I need to adhere to both wattage and voltage figures? Thanks to anyone who can answer this question for me, Bill

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
There appears to be some confusion about the CF Mod, most of which is due to vendors misinterpreting the device specs from Aspire.

The CF is a constant voltage regulated device. Its chip is programmed to provide 4.2v on every button press, regardless of what atomizer is attached and regardless of the charge state of the battery. The single button has a multicolored LED that lets you know the battery charge state so that you can tell when it's getting low.

It has both eGo and 510 threads, so you can use anything from an EVOD to any beastly atomizer you want, and there is no low resistance threshold. None that I can find.

This means that the device is similar to a mech in that if you build coils for it, you have to build for the battery. For that reason, don't just throw any el cheapo 18650 in it and build something around 0.10 ohms without the potential for fireworks.

Aspire provides no documentation in the box. The how-to-use is here:

Aspire CF MOD Battery - Aspire

Last edited:

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
How to Use Your Aspire CF Mod
Press the button 5 times in succession within 2 seconds. The LED will flash 3 times (both blue and orange lights) and the bezel will glow blue to indicate that the battery is on and ready to fire.

Press the button when you take a puff and release when you exhale.

The LED will stay blue as long as the voltage is between 3.5 volts and 4.2 volts. The LED will turn orange when the voltage drops under 3.5 volts.

To turn the battery off, press the button 5 times in succession within 2 seconds.

Safety features -

The Aspire CF mod is built with a short circuit detector that automatically shuts down the battery when a short circuit happens to the heating coils in the atomizer. The orange and blue LED lights will flash 3 times and the battery will switch to sleep mode.

You can lock your Aspire CF mod when it is not in use to prevent any accidental activation. To lock the battery, press the button 5 times in succession in 2 seconds. Both blue and orange LED lights will flash 3 times. Repeat this procedure or recharge to unlock the battery.

The Aspire CF mod protects itself from over-discharging the battery. When the battery power drops to 2.8 volts, the atomizer will shut down and the orange LED will flash 15 times.

Warning:

• Charge the battery completely before using.
  • Do not store the battery in a hot or humid environment.
  • Do not drop or puncture the battery.
  • Do not force the battery connection to other attachments.
  • Only charge the CF battery using the charger included in the kit. Incompatible chargers could damage the CF mod.
  • Always keep the battery dry and away from moisture.
  • Do not dismantle or expose the battery compartment.
  • If the indicator light displays ON continuously or the product becomes too hot, disconnect the battery from the cartridge immediately to break the electrical connection.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
By the way, I have two of these devices and really like the mod. It's nice to have a simple design like that because it provides a known quantity with every button press. Great device for out and about.
I have two also and really like the simplicity of them as well, and the protection features. :)

There appears to be some confusion about the CF Mod, most of which is due to vendors misinterpreting the device specs from Aspire.

The CF is a constant voltage regulated device. Its chip is programmed to provide 4.2v on every button press, regardless of what atomizer is attached and regardless of the charge state of the battery. The single button has a multicolored LED that lets you know the battery charge state so that you can tell when it's getting low.

It has both eGo and 510 threads, so you can use anything from an EVOD to any beastly atomizer you want, and there is no low resistance threshold. None that I can find.

This means that the device is similar to a mech in that if you build coils for it, you have to build for the battery. For that reason, don't just throw any el cheapo 18650 in it and build something around 0.10 ohms without the potential for fireworks.

Aspire provides no documentation in the box. The how-to-use is here:

Coastal Cowboy, thanks for the info you gave me man, now I'm ready to give this mod a go! The 30w thing is what threw me off and I'm using MXJO 30amp batteries with Tobeco Magma RDA's and the Goon 528 clones from FT. Looking forward to trying this bad boy out, thanks again, Bill

Last edited:
I have two also and really like the simplicity of them as well, and the protection features. :)
Bonskibon, Thanks to you also for the help with the Aspire CF and congrats on the analog freedom, my last one was 2/4/16. I have been wanting to try a mech for some time now and it was the safety features in the CF that told me to go for it now. Thanks again for your help, and continue on with leaving the analogs alone, Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonskibon
Glad to help a fellow reformed smoker. I'm sure from your intro in the New User forum that you know your way around an RBA deck, so vape on.

BTW, I can still run a bead. ;)
Hey Cowboy, It's cool to chat with a fellow vaper but a fellow welder too! I did high steel erection for 28 years and not to toot my own horn, I was a darn good welder who held many certs and even taught a welding class. If it weren't for this lousy emphysema I would most definitely still be up there doing it. I think I'm one of the few people who can actually say and mean 'I love my job'. Nice to meet you.

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I spent only two years full time, building semi-submersible and jack-up drilling rigs in shipyards from Port Arthur, TX to Pensacola, FL. I saved enough money to go to college, and took a part time job as a structural tubing welder while studying.

Six hours in class, six hours in the yard, six hours studying, four hours sleeping, start all over next day... Five years.

When I started vaping, all these ECF gurus started talking about Ohm's Law and I said... "Oh, yeah. I remember that." ;)

I still have a crackerbox and a MIG rig in the shop outside.

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
The CF is a constant voltage regulated device. Its chip is programmed to provide 4.2v on every button press, regardless of what atomizer is attached and regardless of the charge state of the battery.

I don't think this is true. The voltage decreases throughout the day until it reaches the cutoff.

I would love to find a tube mod (without all the screens, tc, etc) that would do that. The only tube mod that comes to mind would be the Wisemec Vicino where you can set the watts.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I don't think this is true. The voltage decreases throughout the day until it reaches the cutoff.

I would love to find a tube mod (without all the screens, tc, etc) that would do that. The only tube mod that comes to mind would be the Wisemec Vicino where you can set the watts.

That's not what Aspire's website says.

"Output Voltage: 4.2V full power output."

Back in the day of the ego pen-style battery products, the unit provided a constant 3.7v throughout the battery charge life. With the CF unit, It's like Aspire dialed a VV Spinner up to 4.2v and ripped off the knob.

Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The CF mod is not regulated 4.2v output, this has been asked & answered by Aspire CS & on their forum hundreds of times.

It isn't regulated, starts off at 4.2v falls until over discharge protection won't let it fire around 2.8v.

It can be proven by using an inline voltage meter or a multimeter / dvom to measure output voltage at the 510 with a full charged cell & then with a depleted cell.
positive probe on center pin, negative on surrounding threaded surface, press fire button.

The confusing tech specs " output voltage" - " 4.2v full power output " kinda tells you that.
If were a regulated 4.2v device just the regulation circuitry would consume a certain amount of voltage to function making it impossible to supply 4.2v to the delivery device.
That would be somewhere in the range of 4% - 6% ~ .168v - .252v just to power a regulation circuit. Meaning a maximum possible output of 4.03v- 3.94v.

To compensate for the loss caused by the power regulation circuitry + the loss v drop caused by the normal resistance of delivery device and still output 4.2v = it would also need a boost circuit.
There is no free lunch, boost circuitry consumes power to function also.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where 'Tina' an Aspire CS rep answered the question---> Aspire CF MOD Battery--released on Aspire website - Aspire New Products release Discussions on Aspire Forums
There are literally dozens of the same question with the same answer from Aspire.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The CF mod is not regulated 4.2v output, this has been asked & answered by Aspire CS & on their forum hundreds of times.

It isn't regulated, starts off at 4.2v falls until over discharge protection won't let it fire around 2.8v.

It can be proven by using an inline voltage meter or a multimeter / dvom to measure output voltage at the 510 with a full charged cell & then with a depleted cell.
positive probe on center pin, negative on surrounding threaded surface, press fire button.

The confusing tech specs " output voltage" - " 4.2v full power output " kinda tells you that.
If were a regulated 4.2v device just the regulation circuitry would consume a certain amount of voltage to function making it impossible to supply 4.2v to the delivery device.
That would be somewhere in the range of 4% - 6% ~ .168v - .252v just to power a regulation circuit. Meaning a maximum possible output of 4.03v- 3.94v.

To compensate for the loss caused by the power regulation circuitry + the loss v drop caused by the normal resistance of delivery device and still output 4.2v = it would also need a boost circuit.
There is no free lunch, boost circuitry consumes power to function also.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where 'Tina' an Aspire CS rep answered the question---> Aspire CF MOD Battery--released on Aspire website - Aspire New Products release Discussions on Aspire Forums
There are literally dozens of the same question with the same answer from Aspire.

Hah! So I was the one who was confused. Wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks!

I spent only two years full time, building semi-submersible and jack-up drilling rigs in shipyards from Port Arthur, TX to Pensacola, FL. I saved enough money to go to college, and took a part time job as a structural tubing welder while studying.

Six hours in class, six hours in the yard, six hours studying, four hours sleeping, start all over next day... Five years.

When I started vaping, all these ECF gurus started talking about Ohm's Law and I said... "Oh, yeah. I remember that." ;)

I still have a crackerbox and a MIG rig in the shop outside.
Hey Coastal, sorry for taking so long to get back but a lot of things have been going wrong the last few days. I too started in shipyards building tugboats (2 years) then got into fabricating, modifying machinery for a plastics company, then I found my niche, high steel erection and stayed with that for 28 years and loved every minute of it but I had to leave that due to a lung disease, (can't climb, can't do ironwork). Tried driving a semi for awhile but hated that so I just gave up and went on ssdi. Never had a chance at college, wife, kids, responsibility, you know. As far as the Ohm's law thing, I worked at it for awhile but seemed to me that just some basics and a lot of common sense will get you through. I'm lovin' the RDA thing, making my own coils, trying different things and such. I haven't blown myself up yet so I guess I'm doing something right. I just bought 2 Hadaly clones and waiting for them to get here. I hope hey are as good as I hear. Well that's about it for me, I didn't want to take too long getting back so as not to appear ignorant. You have a real good labor day and I hope we can gab again, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread