Aspire Has just released the new Plato Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
OK, got my Plato today. Overall, I really like it! Love the form factor, the looks, flavor and vapor are good.

However, I noticed that when my battery got to about half full, I was getting considerable voltage drop and the vape became very weak. I remembered reading somewhere that the new firmware addressed this issue so I went ahead and installed it.

I put the same battery back in (it was at 3.7v) and the vape was a bit stronger than before, but then I put a fully charged battery in and <BOOM> I was getting massively better hits. The display was still saying the device was delivering the same voltage (4.12v) when it obviously was NOT.

Is this just me (or my batteries)? If not, has anyone found a solution for this massive voltage drop?? This is totally unacceptable in a device these days IMO.

For reference, I am vaping the .4ohm coil at 40 watts.

I started out with the new firmware, so I don't know what the old firmware was like. I use the .4ohm coils at 50 watts and don't have a problems with voltage drop. My unit has been working great. :thumb:

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
I'm not a TC guy so I couldn't care less that they removed it. ;)

However, I was only vaping on the Plato for about 2 hours before the battery sag was too much to take...this is ridiculous IMO. My Kanger MiniBox puts out the same voltage for almost 4 hours on the same battery.

Anyways, I suspect that new batteries might help...but I'm guessing not much if this is a common issue with the Plato. :(

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
I started out with the new firmware, so I don't know what the old firmware was like. I use the .4ohm coils at 50 watts and don't have a problems with voltage drop. My unit has been working great. :thumb:

Well, this is encouraging! New batteries are on order. ;)

EDIT: What batteries are you using??

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Can't directly compare as I'm using the 1.8 BVC coil and tootling along at 8W. I'm only going through about 2 ml of juice a day, about the same as before. I haven't noticed any real drop in performance as the battery discharges down, but with the low wattage I'm hardly draining it. Just for convenience I'll swap out batteries once a day, alternating between the Aspire battery and a Samsung 2,500 mA INR. Performance seems the same to me between the two. I guess I'll see how the Aspire battery holds up over time.

My reported voltage at 8W stays at ~3.8V throughout the day. Again, I'm not stressing this device at all, and can offer no opinion on subohm performance, but for low wattage use it's been behaving well.

I do note that the battery indicator on the unit is a bit inaccurate. It will appear to be at perhaps 1/4 full, but shows up as closer to 50% on my Nitecore charger. At least I don't worry about getting through a day on one battery for my use.

The only other change I've made is using a syringe with a blunt tip needle for fill. I can fill with a dropper, but have to go slow to avoid any drips. With the syringe, I just load 2 ml and inject it straight through the top fill hole with no fuss or mess. More a time saver for me.

Reactions: Hyperspace

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
I'm not a TC guy so I couldn't care less that they removed it. ;)

However, I was only vaping on the Plato for about 2 hours before the battery sag was too much to take...this is ridiculous IMO. My Kanger MiniBox puts out the same voltage for almost 4 hours on the same battery.

Anyways, I suspect that new batteries might help...but I'm guessing not much if this is a common issue with the Plato. :(
My performance notes on the battery were done in standard regulated wattage mode (not bypass or TC) on the 0.4 ohm coils as I did not yet have TC coils. I noted about same use time as you. Tried brand new HE4 battery and it gave me a bit more life but no more than 1/2 hr to 45 min.

Found it a light device with interesting construction, very poor capacity & battery life using the 0.4ohm coils that you had to constantly refill as the wicking channels are so high on the coil, a pain and messy to fill and it irritated me that any spillage immediately ran behind the tank could not easily be cleaned without draining, Disassembling, reassembling, and refilling risking yet another spill so the alternative was to leave it there and try to wipe it up occasionally while it tended to slowly leach from the device.

It was just easier to use Nebox under TC which is my preferred style. Plato was an interesting device, and could have been a real winner if it had a proper tank capacity/coil design, but poor execution on the tank/coil system, lack of TC coil Availability for a TC Mod and no provisions for "passthru" vaping while usb charging killed it for me. It requires much more maintenance than need be.

Even Egrip II w/ a proper anti spitback drip tip is cheaper, works in TC, has a no muss, no fuss ss notch coil system that performs well in and out of TC and while capacity & battery life (6hr on 0.25ohm notch) are an issue, I still think it performs way better than Plato IMHO and it can be vaped while charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsheik
I got my Plato about a week ago, and so far I'm really enjoying it. Except for one thing - it's LOUD! Every time I take a draw I get a loud whistle/wheeze sound. I've tried adjust the air flow at the bottom but that doesn't seem to help. Plus, there's an electronic buzz/hum while the display is on. And then there's the button click. It doesn't click much when I depress it, but it does when I release it. Most of the day the sounds don't bother me, but I've stopped using it while watching TV or movies because it's so annoying. Is this happening with anyone else? I'm using the 1.8 ohm coil, for the record.

Also, does anyone have any advise for resolving a flooded coil? My usual methods aren't working for this. I don't know what I'm doing, but I get a flooded coil at the same time every single night. With my nautis it's a quick and easy fix. But with the Plato I just have to let it sit overnight. It's usually ok by morning.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
I got my Plato about a week ago, and so far I'm really enjoying it. Except for one thing - it's LOUD! Every time I take a draw I get a loud whistle/wheeze sound. I've tried adjust the air flow at the bottom but that doesn't seem to help. Plus, there's an electronic buzz/hum while the display is on. And then there's the button click. It doesn't click much when I depress it, but it does when I release it. Most of the day the sounds don't bother me, but I've stopped using it while watching TV or movies because it's so annoying. Is this happening with anyone else? I'm using the 1.8 ohm coil, for the record.

Also, does anyone have any advise for resolving a flooded coil? My usual methods aren't working for this. I don't know what I'm doing, but I get a flooded coil at the same time every single night. With my nautis it's a quick and easy fix. But with the Plato I just have to let it sit overnight. It's usually ok by morning.

You must have exceptional hearing or a bad unit because mine doesn't make any noises other than air going through the AFC. I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coil yet so I can't comment if it floods or not. I use the .4ohm coil and haven't experienced any flooding.

Reactions: Eskie
You must have exceptional hearing or a bad unit because mine doesn't make any noises other than air going through the AFC. I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coil yet so I can't comment if it floods or not. I use the .4ohm coil and haven't experienced any flooding.

The flooding is definitely my own fault. It happens with all my tanks, and only late at night while I'm reading my iPad. I'm drawing too hard, or not hard enough, or chain vaping or something. I'm not really paying attention to what I'm doing at the time. So it's not the Plato's fault! I just don't know how to clear it when it happens.

I have wondered if I have a faulty unit based on the electronic hum. I thought I read another comment somewhere here on ECF about it, but I've searched and can't find it now. I can only hear it when I hold it up close to my face, which I usually do when I'm on the computer. Once the display goes off the humming stops.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
The flooding is definitely my own fault. It happens with all my tanks, and only late at night while I'm reading my iPad. I'm drawing too hard, or not hard enough, or chain vaping or something. I'm not really paying attention to what I'm doing at the time. So it's not the Plato's fault! I just don't know how to clear it when it happens.

I have wondered if I have a faulty unit based on the electronic hum. I thought I read another comment somewhere here on ECF about it, but I've searched and can't find it now. I can only hear it when I hold it up close to my face, which I usually do when I'm on the computer. Once the display goes off the humming stops.

How old is your Plato? Maybe the humming will go away with time. Or if it's really annoying maybe you could exchange it if it's under 30 days old.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
I got it about a week ago. I haven't done the firmware update yet. I thought maybe that might help. Or maybe not. I'll have to look into the return policy. It was an online purchase, so there's the return shipping cost.

The update might help. You should try it. Aspire's update is kind of goofy. It might fail on you a couple of times but eventually it works.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I've had my Plato about a month now and the more I use it, the more I like it. I've only used the 1.8 Ohm coils, since I am basically a MTL vaper. I did have some flooding right after refilling a few times. That has stopped since I have switched to laying the unit on it's side while refilling as opposed to holding it upright. I love how light weight it is. I kind of bought it on a whim and was afraid I would regret the purchase, but I am happy it's in my arsenal.

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan
I've had my Plato about a month now and the more I use it, the more I like it. I've only used the 1.8 Ohm coils, since I am basically a MTL vaper. I did have some flooding right after refilling a few times. That has stopped since I have switched to laying the unit on it's side while refilling as opposed to holding it upright. I love how light weight it is. I kind of bought it on a whim and was afraid I would regret the purchase, but I am happy it's in my arsenal.

I refill my on side side too with no leaking whatsoever. I even use a standard juice bottle to fill it. I noticed some users complained about leaking when fill but all I can figure is they are holding the mod upright. Some users say they have to use a syringe but I feel that's not necessary unless that what you like to use.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I refill my on side side too with no leaking whatsoever. I even use a standard juice bottle to fill it. I noticed some users complained about leaking when fill but all I can figure is they are holding the mod upright. Some users say they have to use a syringe but I feel that's not necessary unless that what you like to use.
Yep, I just use the droppers from my bottles to refill. I go slow and I only make a tiny mess around the opening which I clean up with a tissue.

Reactions: Hyperspace

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yep, I just use the droppers from my bottles to refill. I go slow and I only make a tiny mess around the opening which I clean up with a tissue.

Pretty much the same experience with mine. For my own convenience as I'm not all that patient, I've started to just use a syringe with a blunt tip needle. The needle fits down the hole and I have no cleanup work after. But if I didn't have that, the dropper would be fine.

I've had mine for a few weeks and have to say it's been a very nice performer. I'm using the 1.8 coil at 7.5W and am happy as anything, with battery life close to 2 days. After fumbling a bit at the beginning, I can change coils and wash the tank and chimney in less than 5 minutes. So far it's a very low maintenance item, and am very happy with my decision to get it.

Angus337

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2015
Ive been enjoying the Plato with the sub ohm coil. Also usin the cleito with the air flow about half open and find the Plato almost as good.

There are a couple of minor issues
  • Filling can be a pain with some dripped bottles
  • You have to fill up before the tank is empty, otherwise you will get dry hits. Also a pain when changing flavours as you have to manually drain the tank which is t easy to do.
  • The plugs can come loose when taking the cover off, leading to leakage inside the battery compartment.
Yesterday however I had a full tank of juice leak on to the kitchen table after leaving it overnight. Dismantled it and couldn't find any obvious reason.
Cleaning it properly when it's completely flooded is also a real pain as its really messy and almost impossible to clean the bottom section where the coil screws in.
Vaped about half a tank this evening and then put it down for about an hour and the rest of the tank has leaked out again.
Getting fed up with this now and suspect the Plato will join the nebox in the bottom draw.

Reactions: Tpat591

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Ive been enjoying the Plato with the sub ohm coil. Also usin the cleito with the air flow about half open and find the Plato almost as good.

• You have to fill up before the tank is empty, otherwise you will get dry hits. Also a pain when changing flavours as you have to manually drain the tank which is t easy to do.
  • The plugs can come loose when taking the cover off, leading to leakage inside the battery compartment.
Yesterday however I had a full tank of juice leak on to the kitchen table after leaving it overnight. Dismantled it and couldn't find any obvious reason.
Cleaning it properly when it's completely flooded is also a real pain as its really messy and almost impossible to clean the bottom section where the coil screws in.
Vaped about half a tank this evening and then put it down for about an hour and the rest of the tank has leaked out again.
Getting fed up with this now and suspect the Plato will join the nebox in the bottom draw.
See your coming to the same conclusion I did long ago.
  • Egrip II is pretty good flavor on the notch coil but spits like crazy and an anti spit drip tip is a must. Limited capacity & battery life are issues.
  • Early reviews of Cupti agree coil flooding is a huge problem.
  • I just got my pre-ordered Summa the other day. Interesting unit seems like a real performer. Not crazy about the Board as it is crude & certainly not a DNA75, but it is better than Plato and it does work in TC quite well. No coil flooding and decent capacity. Unit is built like a tank, weighty and pretty sharp looking. Coil availability & pricing are an issue right now, but hopefully that will change as it comes to market.

Last edited:

Hyperspace

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Michigan

Strange, I haven't had any leaking issues or the plugs coming loose.

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread