Aspire Nautilus Coils: BVC vs BDC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I see no reason why if the bdc coils fit why the bvc wouldn't the only thing they changed was the inside the housing and threading are the same

The earlier model BDC heads for the earlier model Aspire clearomizers/glassomizers (like the ET & ET-S) are shorter and not as wide as the BVC head that fits in either of the two Aspire Nautilus models. The threading is also different, as well as the seal arrangement. However, it sounds like MissBlue has a Davide model tank that could take the BDC heads that would fit in a full sized Nautilus. In that case, the Nautilus BVC head (which fits either Nautilus, but not earlier Aspire models) should fit her Davide full-size tank. Supposedly a BVC head is coming out in a month or so that will fit the older (non-Nautilus) clearomizers, but I've seen no official word of that on Aspire's website. It may just be a rumor, or it may be coming from some other source than Aspire - which means it may not work as well.

maraud

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
The iClear 16 is fast becoming my favorite, though it isn't terribly beautiful and it only holds about 1.6ml of juice (in a high juice burning DC design at that!).

The iClear 16 was my first tank and I still use them though not often. My daily tank is one of my Nautilus'. One potentially overlooked benefit on the top coil design is that they "travel well". I can't take a bottom coil on a plane without it leaking (pressure change) unless I make sure it stays upside down so the air can get out without pushing out the juice. I don't have that issue on the top coil. BTW I'm not advocating vaping on a plane (I don't) but it's nice to not have to empty my tanks between 1.5 hour hops.

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
Thanks billybc ... i already have the Anyvape Davide tank, the regular size, not the mini - and it DOES take the Aspire BDC coils. I have some for it , they just suck, LOL. Since the new BVC ones are supposed to be better will get some for this tank, IF they will fit it. :D

Sounds like jjcordone has the pertinent info ... you got a link for that by any chance, jjcordone? I can go look around on ebay of course, would be easier with the link though. :D

I still haven't seen anything anywhere, except on this ebay listing.
Here's the link from ebay. The seller has ended the listing, but that could be just ebay complaining to him about selling preorders.
Aspire BVC Coils not for The Nautilus for The Other BDC Tanks 1 6 Ohm Preorder | eBay

maraud

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
If I am reading correctly , the BVC has a mesh screen that doesn't allow you to see the coil. On the BDC can see the coil. Additionally the box on BVC is marked BVC.
Hope this helps.

Exactly correct, you cannot see the coils on the BVC. I ordered a set of 1.6Ohm BVC late last week and to be honest I don't see what the fuss is about.I works just as well as my BDC Nautilus coils. The flavor is slightly different, but I haven't decided if different = better yet. The only thing I did notice as a plus as it took ZERO time to prime where the BDCs I always let set a few min before first use to make sure I don't get a dry hit.

Last edited:

trio1989

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2014
north lincolnshire
i found that with the new bvc coils i have a definite wicking issue i take 3-5 draws and get a dry hit then takes about 10 mins before i can take another 3-5 draws.. although i am basing this on the 1.8 BVC stock coils i got with my mini nautilus i vape at 50/50 ratio.. do you think this is just because they are the stock calls and are a bit old?

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
i found that with the new bvc coils i have a definite wicking issue i take 3-5 draws and get a dry hit then takes about 10 mins before i can take another 3-5 draws.. although i am basing this on the 1.8 BVC stock coils i got with my mini nautilus i vape at 50/50 ratio.. do you think this is just because they are the stock calls and are a bit old?

I thought I'd respond after spending a few days with my first mini tank, the Nautilus Mini, I also bought at the same time 3 of these BDC Clearos (Aspire CE5-S BDC Clearomizers), for use with my new batteries, the 850 mAh Spinner 2, and the Aspire CF VV 650 mAh. I got these new bats and Clearos for pocket carry. The mini tank is for around the house.

All my Aspire atties are the 1.8 ohm versions, the tank uses the new BVC 2 hole punched, the Clearos have the 4 holes BDC's.
My favorite juices are Virgin Vapors "absolute" line, NO alcohol used, 100% VG.

So my first experience with the Nautilus Mini tank, with the 100% VG, was not very good wicking, meaning dry hits. I did learn it makes sense to prep the atty with a few drops of juice, then inserting, then waiting 15 minutes to let the juice wick. With this juice I was getting a lot of dry hits, which I felt tasted almost like alcohol, just what a dry burn tastes like to me. I played with voltage and air holes. Had to wait too long between vapes for juice to wick back in.

I then decided to ditch the 100% VG, as thinning it with distilled water did not seem like a good test. I cleaned the Mini tank, replaced the BVC with new one, and filled it with Joes Flavorz "Banana Mango", a 50/50% mix, as I had been using this ejuice with the Aspire CE5-S BDC Clearomizers I got at the same time. These metal covered Clearos are the ones I thought would be good for pocket carry. Using the same battery setup as on the Mini, these dual coils, give a nice full flavored Vape using the same 50/50 juice. So back to the Mini tank and it's BVC ATTYS, it seems as if they need a day or two of break-in, not sure why, but now with the same 50/50 juice, they seem to Vape much better now then at first. Since the Clearos only have two air holes built-in, I tried to match that on the Mini, which draw wise is the 2nd to smallest hole, keeping the voltage the same on the batteries, low at about 3.8. They settings between the tank and the Clearos is very close now to compare. They both hold about the same amount of juice, approx. 2.0 ml. The Mini tank of course offers the adjustable air flow control which is great to have. But I have to say for my lower voltage, high flavor, needs the BDC attys in the non-adjustable Clearos for pocket carry are GREAT. I just pick it up and hit it, great flavor all the time. I'm determined to stick with the Mini tank for home vaping, and continue to play with the air and volt settings. I don't see any great difference between BDC and BVC, except the vertical coils, ceramic or not, maybe they last longer, but the dual coils did not need any real break in time like the verticals did for me.

My next move, is I ordered 6 sample 100% VG from Virgin Vapors, I'm going to drip these on some old 510 attys to see what I like, then order the flavors I like in a 50/50 mix. My conclusion as many have written about, is 100% VG DEPENDING on brand, can be difficult for the atty to keep up with feeding a BVC. If I wait a few minuted between vapes, it's just ok, waiting the same amount of time on the 4 hole BDC, get a great Vape. The only thing I have yet to try is 100 VG, in the Clearos, to see if the dual coils could keep up. In the end I believe most of these attys were designed for 50/50 juices, and the flow/feed these juices deliver.

I've now moved up from all the old 2009 cartos, 901, 510, etc attys, dripping now and then using 808 ecig thin batteries, as well as my now old, version #1 GGTS mech mod. All this new stuff in the past few years, now seems like a great middle ground of vaping, not as small as an 808, but those tiny bats never really gave me a satisfying Vape or NIC delivery. I'm thinking of buying either a "Crown2"' or "Kick2" to get some more life out of my GGTS. Now that I've discovered VV, and better yet VW, as well as air control, the unregulated GGTS is showing her age. Just ordered the Innokin iTaste VV (V3), to try variable wattage.

That's my mini review of these attys so far.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I got some iTaste v3s a few weeks ago. I like them a lot and now use them regularly. I like the variable voltage/wattage feature so much I will probably get a Kick 2 or Sigelei Kick for my recently purchased Smok Prospect e-pipe (which I really like the size of compared to an iTaste v3). The iTaste v3 800mah battery doesn't give me a lot of vape time when using a Mini Nautilus BVC at the higher voltages it seems to prefer. I also use high VG juices, which I dilute with about 5-10% of distilled water. I really didn't like the results I was getting with that on an Aspire ET-S BDC, but it worked pretty well on the Nautilus Mini BVC compared to any other iTaste v3 toppers I've tried. I also liked the Kanger EVOD & T2, iClear 16 and Mini Davide (when using genuine Kanger heads). They all have their pluses and minuses, including the Mini Nautilus with BVC. None of them is perfect, which I'm a little annoyed with.

I recently got an Ehpro Kayfun Lite Plus V2 RBT, which I plan to use with some undiluted Pipe Sauce I just got (Long Bottom Leaf & Shire Malt). I'll be trying that juice in the Aspire Nautilus Mini and ET-S as well, just to see how the thicker juice runs in those. The Kayfun is enormous compared to any other clearomizer or tank I own, so I feel like I may still use the Nautilus Mini a lot on that e-pipe when I go out. The e-pipe works very well with Smok e-pipe extensions for using higher mah batteries. The Kayfun is my first foray into using an RBA, and the e-pipe is my first mod of any sort. Even though I've been vaping for over 3 years, I've found myself checking out a lot of new (to me) gear recently. That's mainly just because I'm dropping down to 6mg of nicotine (and hopefully 3mg soon). My old gear wasn't good enough to get the most out of my juice with such a low nicotine level.

I got a pipe style drip tip for my e-pipe recently. It fits well on the Kayfun RBT, but is a bit loose in the Nautilus Mini. A disappointment, but I mainly got the bent e-pipe drip tip for use when lying down at home. Does Aspire make a better fitting, curved pipe style drip tip specifically for the Nautilus tanks?

Trexwyo

Jul 19, 2014
Wyoming
I'm disappointed in the Nautilus BVC coils. At first I thought I found the answer to better flavor than the BDC setup in the 5ml Nautilus tank. First of all I'm a chain vaper. And for the first several hours the flavor is the best I've had from the Nautilus. Wow this is great. Then it seems like after a day or so, they start going higher resistance and plugging up making he draw or vape and lot harder and almost impossible to get a good hit after the second or third day until a new coil is installed. Well 10 days later I've going through five coil heads. At first I was hitting the 1.8 ohm coil with 8 watts for 1 second, 6 watts for 1 second and then the remaining wattage at 5.2 watts for a maximum of 10 secs. This has worked out great using the BDC heads giving longer coil life in the past on a Joytech Evic mod in Automatic Variable Wattage mode. At higher wattage's they go high resistance and plug up even faster it seems. Dry burn attempts to clean the coil was of no help, nor was any of the other standard coil cleaning tips I've read. After going through a a few BVC replacement heads I tried higher wattage in direct wattage mode and lower wattage in direct wattage mode all with the same results. going through replacement coils every other day is NOT going to do it for me. I've tried 50/50 pg, and 60/40pg juices. So the BVC coils is a fail in my opinion.

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
I've been using the BVCs for about two months now, and I haven't had any problems. For me, it was the answer to my frustrating 5mil Nautilus situation.
I run either 50/50 or 25/75 PG/VG, so I run some pretty thick mixtures through them.
I did, however, buy SS replacement tanks for the Nautilus. I can crank them down super tight...not sure if that has anything to do with the performance, or not.
They work so well for me, that they're pretty much all I use these days.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Does anyone know if these new Aspire BVC coils fit the Anyvape Davide tank? The older Aspire BDC coils fit it just fine, so am thinking these will too, just wanted to see if anyone knows for sure.

The NON-Nautilus BVC's (someone called them the "BDC fitment-BVC's") will fit the Davide.

$7.90/5-pack:

http://www.3avape.com/aspire-bvc-replacement-coil-heads-5pk-p-156.html

ASPIRE BVC COILS FOR BDC TANKS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AyEJmHfGzw&app=desktop

I got some iTaste v3s a few weeks ago. I like them a lot and now use them regularly. I like the variable voltage/wattage feature so much I will probably get a Kick 2 or Sigelei Kick for my recently purchased Smok Prospect e-pipe (which I really like the size of compared to an iTaste v3). The iTaste v3 800mah battery doesn't give me a lot of vape time when using a Mini Nautilus BVC at the higher voltages it seems to prefer.

May be time for an MVP2. Same as the VV V3...but 2600 mAh.

Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape

MVP thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...up-into-next-generation-101.html#post14103035

Last edited:

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
I had a problem with "Dry Hits" with this BVC.
What seemed to be happening was:
I vape thick VG juice...
When I take ...long slow lazy hits ..
The atomizer was burning juice faster than the wick can supply juice.
"Running lean..." Dry Hit!

I had that problem with one of my thick juices I just primed it more often. Helped it wick up good to go

ProV P3T3

Sep 3, 2014
707 Nor Cal
The flavor with th BVC on the Aspire Nautilus tanks is a big improvement over the BDC. I purchased the Nautilus mini which came with the BVC and I love it. This setup was much better than the Kanger Pro Tank 3, I was using before. Coils last much longer and the taste is great....no more burnt taste! All of my friends with the original Nautilus have changed to the BVC. I definitely recommend these coils....it's an upgrade for sure.

Koil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2011
In a house...
I gotta ask, as I don't see it mentioned much, but are you guys adjusting your air flow accordingly? Not trying to point out the obvious, or be a smartass, but just in case some of you don't know; if you're getting dry hits, you need to close off your air flow for a tighter draw, so that you're pulling more juice into the head. The opposite is true if you're gurgling....open the air flow up a little, as your putting too much pressure and drawing in more juice than the coil can burn off.

As a side note, I still don't see how some people are able to vape at 9-10 (or higher) wattage on a regular 1.6-2.0ohm head....does it not burn or scorch your juice like crazy? Maybe it's just the stuff I vape, but if I get into that ballpark of wattage, my clear / yellow juices turn very dark very fast.

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
Well, I know in my case, the heads that came with the tank were worthless. I adjusted the thing every which way I could think of...and primed it, removed part of the filler material, adjusted voltage and wattage...just couldn't get rid of that awful flavor.
The new BDC heads I bought were better, but still not very good.
Personally, I have had zero problems since switching to the BVCs.
Now, my Nautilus tanks perform almost as well as my RDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread