Aspire Nautilus Coils: BVC vs BDC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I still don't see how some people are able to vape at 9-10 (or higher) wattage on a regular 1.6-2.0ohm head....does it not burn or scorch your juice like crazy? Maybe it's just the stuff I vape, but if I get into that ballpark of wattage, my clear / yellow juices turn very dark very fast.

If you're talkin' the BDC heads...I agree.

For the BVC heads...I've found I like them best at 11-14 Watts. :shock:

jb0nez

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Kaneohe
I'm also something of an intermittent chain vaper and take long drags.
I had nothing but trouble with the Nautilus 5ml initially and continue to have trouble. First I used my old Smoktech Epower 18650 regulated mod . The included BDC 1.6ohm burnt and hurt (yes I let the tank prime). Then I put it on my new Smoktech Bolt unregulated mech mod. Same thing. (Using 3400 mAh ICR protected batteries - somewhat of a noob, didn't know with mech mods supposed to use IMR/unprotected).

So I put the BDC 1.8ohm in. On the Epower 18650, very little vapor. On the Bolt, great flavor, sipped juice, easy on battery, for about 15 mls then less and less until nothing. I looked inside and could see the two coils CAKED in carbon. Tried to clean with alcohol, dry burn, etc, nothing got carbon off. Verified all items were legit and even contacted Aspire. They told me to use 70PG or higher; my juice is 80PG/20VG. Also offered me a code for a 5-pack of BVC coils, only had to pay shipping from China. (Still waiting on those).

Fast forward after research, considering that maybe my atomizers are being underpowered, and buying a new mod just so I could use the Aspire Nautilus. Got a Sigelei 20w VW mod, 5-pack 1.8ohm BVC, and efest IMR 3100mAh 20A continuous discharge battery. First head, same problem...Found around 9.5w the sweet spot, but went as high as 12 and as low as 8. The Sigelei reported the resistance as 1.8ohm. Over two-three days (and about as many refills) resistance climbed to 2.1ohm as flavor and vapor decreased. Finally was just producing small clouds of flavorless vapor, after maybe running 15ml tops through it of 80pg/20vg. Aspire tech support offered me a code for a new Nautilus 5ml, again still waiting on delivery.

So after just 3 days of use, popped a new BVC in and all is well at 9.5w, have run 5ml through it. Will see if it also increases over time, still at 1.8ohm.

When it works it's awesome. But changing atomizers every 3 days ain't gonna fly. Have a 5 pack coming of each BDC and BVC for some side by side comparisons and longevity tests.

Edit: 5mls in and already it's gone from 1.8 to 1.9ohm resistance as reported by the Sigelei 20W.
This is just totally unacceptable, my trusty cheap smoktech carto's in a tank last 3+ weeks and still report 1.7ohm

Edit2: Now at 2ohm

I'm disappointed in the Nautilus BVC coils. At first I thought I found the answer to better flavor than the BDC setup in the 5ml Nautilus tank. First of all I'm a chain vaper. And for the first several hours the flavor is the best I've had from the Nautilus. Wow this is great. Then it seems like after a day or so, they start going higher resistance and plugging up making he draw or vape and lot harder and almost impossible to get a good hit after the second or third day until a new coil is installed. Well 10 days later I've going through five coil heads. At first I was hitting the 1.8 ohm coil with 8 watts for 1 second, 6 watts for 1 second and then the remaining wattage at 5.2 watts for a maximum of 10 secs. This has worked out great using the BDC heads giving longer coil life in the past on a Joytech Evic mod in Automatic Variable Wattage mode. At higher wattage's they go high resistance and plug up even faster it seems. Dry burn attempts to clean the coil was of no help, nor was any of the other standard coil cleaning tips I've read. After going through a a few BVC replacement heads I tried higher wattage in direct wattage mode and lower wattage in direct wattage mode all with the same results. going through replacement coils every other day is NOT going to do it for me. I've tried 50/50 pg, and 60/40pg juices. So the BVC coils is a fail in my opinion.

Last edited:

sstarrx3

Sep 23, 2014
North Carolina
I started using the new BVC coils that replace the BDC coils for the Aspire CE5-s clearomizers. What I am finding is while the vapor production and flavor are superior toe the BDC coils..they tend to gurgle probably do to the 4 holes in the atmizer as apposed to the 2 holes in the BDC. I think too much juice gets inside the atomizer. You can definitley vape at higher Wattage. With BDC anything over 8 watts and you get burnt. My itaste vv v3.0 goes up to 11.0 watts and I can vape my 100% VG juice with no burnt taste.

BostonSean

Oct 20, 2014
Stoughton, MA
I haven't yet tried the BDC coils that came with my Nautilus but the BVC's seem pretty awesome so far. I'm vaping at between 9-11 ohms and have so far run 50/50 and 35/65 (PG/VG) through it and I prefer the heavier VG. No flooding, and no dry hits with either ratio. I use the smallest diameter air flow hole. These are the 1.8 ohm and it's bumped .1 ohm in like 2 days of fairly constant vaping. Time will tell how long they last but they def perform extremely well.

Last edited:
Lovin the BVC coils. They are so easy to rebuild, too. I find you have to use a lot higher wattage than you would expect for a 1.6 ohm coil and if you don't you get the gurgles and the flooding. Last one I rebuilt ended up at 1.8 ohm and at 12 watts, it's just ducky. Had to put the air flow down to the second biggest to get it just right though, and that's rare for me. I usually like it opened up as much as possible.

jb0nez

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Kaneohe
Can't compare with the regular ones, not even sure what that refers to, but I can say my nautiluses at about 10ml a day start to losr flavor about 5-7 days later but last many more weeks. I'll change about every two weeks, or more if I change flavors or feel like it. I have a huge stock of them. They can handle massive watts with ease BTW.
Before ordering it though I suggest you Google for and read the forum thread about the Nautilus not really being being full stainless steel but rather having a chromed brass chimney...

I'm thinking about getting a nautilus mini... I'm wondering how long these coils tend to last compared to the regular aspire bvc coils. I have a K1 clearo on an aspire CF G-power battery at 4.2 volts and 1.6 ohm coils at the moment. They usually last me 5-6 days....

George Ogilvie

Nov 1, 2014
Greenwich, CT
I have pretty much the same question as above. Does anyone here know if the Nautilus BVC fits in as a replacement on an Aspire ET-S BDC? I find the Aspire ET-S BDC tends to run a little hot. I'm using the1.8 ohm ones with high VG juice (slightly diluted with distilled water), but have not tried the 2.2 ohm ones yet. Switching to the 2.2 ohm replacement coil assemblies might give me a cooler vape, but I'm not sure I'm willing to lose much in vapor with the switch. Flavors are muted too, so going up to 2.2 ohms may help with that as well. If I have a vv/vw battery, does the ohms rating on the atomizer matter much?

There two different types of BVC coils, Nautilus and other.

Last edited:

George Ogilvie

Nov 1, 2014
Greenwich, CT
Can't compare with the regular ones, not even sure what that refers to, but I can say my nautiluses at about 10ml a day start to losr flavor about 5-7 days later but last many more weeks. I'll change about every two weeks, or more if I change flavors or feel like it. I have a huge stock of them. They can handle massive watts with ease BTW.
Before ordering it though I suggest you Google for and read the forum thread about the Nautilus not really being being full stainless steel but rather having a chromed brass chimney...

From what I understand coil life should be measured in how many ml you vape, % PG/VG, liquid color. If you get 140 ml per coil, I would consider that GREAT. I vape approx. 2 ml a day, if I can get the same coil mileage as you that would equal about 70 DAYS. Holy S**T.

Ottobon

Feb 12, 2013
United States
I know we aren't supposed to talk about "health issues" as such, or so i've heard but i wanted to post this and hopefully it doesn't count as a violation as its not a severe issue but a issue for some people none the less

My issue with many older Tank systems (mainly ones with "wick" systems) is that i would get light headed using them in comparison to standard Pen type E-cigs, like Vuse, Blu, V2, etc etc that you can buy at most gas stations.

I recently upgraded to a Nautilus mini, the tank itself came with a BVC head and a replacement. I changed the clearomizer early and the replacement was junk but luckily the original BVC head is still good after almost a week of use. Then i went and bought some new clearomizers (heads?) not knowing the difference and ended up with older BDC style heads.

What i have noticed is that if you somebody like me who can get sort of light-headed on Tank systems, the BDC heads are not the best option, but for whatever reason the BVC head gives a clear hit that makes it a much cheaper alternative in the long run then Pen type vapes like V2 E-cigs.

So yeah, basically just ignore the fact BDCs ever existed, and get yourself the BVCs if your using Nautilus. Also keep in mind that it seems for whatever reason the replacement head that comes with the tank usually seems to be garbage, no idea why.

Hoping once i receive my BVC replacement heads they work as well as the current one i have that i am still using on the tanks, because BDC are junk IMO. Being dizzy and light-headed just isn't fun.

If i run the BDC heads on a smaller air hole setting (2nd smallest seems to work on Naut-Mini) then they are almost workable(edit, no there not f these), but all the same if i can run 4.0 V with maximum air setting on BVC head and feel fine at 12 to 18mg nicotine, but i have to run 2nd air setting and 3.6-3.8V just to feel "ok but not great" (edit: terrible, do not want) on BDC then i still stand by my statement the BDC heads are junk. Honestly i don't think they should even be allowed to sell them anymore. And i have no idea why nobody else seems to have these issues with dizzyness/light-headedness.

Any suggestions as to why i get light-headed with BDC/older tank systems? I feel sort of bad having thrown money at a set of 5 of them when really what i wanted was the BVC heads.

Last edited:

g3n3r1c

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
outside the box
fwiw...

After killing a 2 month old wick on my genny I tried a naughty..
My oh my what a wretched taste on the BDC, I made sure it was primed and all, but I could only get 1-2 pulls before it would dry hit, gurgle, and spit. yuck...

I gutted the atty head and re-built it with 10 wraps of 30 gauge kanthal and some cotton in a BVC setup @ 2.2 ohms..
This is working well, good flavor/vapor, no dry hit, it did gurgle and spit a bit right after a fill and prime, but after letting it sit for a few minutes it's been vaping like a champ all day.. well worth taking it off someone elses hands to play around with. I may even retire the genny for a while :p

Brian Bavington

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
brooksville fl
I am new to vaping but in the short time I use a tesla with a nauty mini on it I have been knowing to call my nautilus a hole lot of names watched videos posted findings tried to rebuild atomizers had 2 work for short time left post on aspire website plus a few here this is how I see it I better get this in here I vape high vg at 18 nic about 6 /9 mi a day queen 4 at the time between 7 /9,5 watts some atomizer last not 10 mils and the next one may go 70 or more before loseing flavor never had one not vap at 9.95 for a pack of 5 its not that bad not for the vap and flavour when I want real cloud vap and flavor I use my unregulated mod and driper then I can vape 20 mi on .3 ohm build a day no problem but the juice cost goes up and becouse I run 3 % nic on the driper got to have drip juice and nauty juice still les than 3 pack a day cigs so it is what it is in the shot time I been vapeing I feal a lot better BDC COIL BVC I tried bdc twice first and last time .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread