Aspire Triton!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
Jseah thanks so much for your reply. I thought they came with a Nickel coil as the 1.8 has blue insulators. I thought the blue was for Nickel coils.
You're not the only one to think that! A bunch of reviewers are confused as to why they used the color blue on those.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
Just as a FYI, you CAN build micro(compressed) coils and dry fire them for the Triton RTA, and you can easily rewick. The trick is to build a 2.5mm coil, mount it lined up with the juice holes. Now there's enough room to get some fine tweezers in there to compress more after dry firing if you need to, though if you have a coil jig or are just good at hand wrapping tight coils, all you usually need to do is just "strum" the coil with a screwdriver to get it firing evenly. There's actually room to do this with 3.5mm, but since the juice feed holes are only 2.5mm, you can't wick it properly (see below).

As for wicking, just wick through the juice holes, much like you would re-wick a Kanger Subtank OCC horizontal coil. Time to rewick, just grab an end and pull the old wick out, dry burn the coil, replace the wick. Another benefit of using a 2.5mm coil is better airflow compared to the recommended 3.5mm coil. As for wicking efficiency with a 2.5mm coil, it's just a hair behind the 3.5mm in practice, and a lot less fiddly or prone to leakage or gurgling than the larger coil/wick setup.

That said, I'm not very happy with my Triton, I have one of the leakers/gurglers with the SS coils (and the 1.8 MTL coil is torture for me to use). The SS head ended up in my Atlantis V1, where it works fine for a pre-built, and the Triton RBA, no matter how I build it, is lackluster in the flavor department. The Triton is joining the rest of my Island of Misfit Attys collection, never to be used again. I might end up picking up a pack of 0.4 coils to use in my Atlantis, but not likely, I'm pretty much a re-build only guy these days.

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
edit: I can't believe it I figured out what my problem is. I am sticking the bottles nozzle completely into the fill hole. thus pressurizing the tank causing it to leak! just tried filling it just above the hole and it did not leak! oops.
Actually, the easiest way is to tip the tank so one hole is higher than the other, and fill in the lower hole. Stop filling when the level reaches the top of the window (careful not to over fill. You want a slight air gap at the top). Get the tank upright, then push the fill cap on, then twist the upper ring to vape mode.

The reason I put the cap on before rotating to vape mode, is that it will "push" any excess juice in the upper level down into the tank.

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
On the spitting, flooding, and gurgling front, I sent an email to aspire to see if they are planning on making these coils work with 50/50 juice, and pointed out that with 1.8 coils, mouth-to-lungers usually don't do high VG. I wanted to see if they would admit that these coils only work with High VG- sure enough they sent me back:

"For the spitting problem, we suggest you to use high Vg proportion juice.

And if the tank sit aside for a few hours unused, the coil is soak up with too much juice, we suggest you to let the tank,the drip tip face to the floor,and swing the tank to let the extra e-juice out of the drip tip and use a clean paper to clean out the e-juice inside the drip tip and the place,which the drip tip sit , and start with a low wattage and then slowly turn up the wattage when you use it again. If not, the problem will happen."

So yeah...indeed these coils do over saturate as so many have speculated. And since they didn't respond to my question about changing this, I think it's safe to assume they aren't going to. Aspire is now dead to me.
The other thing to try to reduce spitting and popping, is to increase the power for a bit (don't be afraid to go above the recommend power setting on the coil). That will help create a caramelized coating on the wire and the cotton. The issue is that the coil isn't fully vaporizing the juice so it pops and spits because of lower power. I've had this issue with other tanks and coils, not just Aspire. Even with RDA setups.

It's just that with the BVC coils, it is a bit more pronounced because it acts like a chimney and directs any spitting or popping directly up the drip tip. But it will go away with use, or as I suggested above.

Reactions: spindle

Momato

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2014
Maryland
I was getting juice in my mouth so I closed the juice control alittle and it solved my problem
aac3d52d7bf0a870cfccf7b6e457f137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guzz

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Tempe, AZ
I tried the 1.8 ohm coil.... I hate it! Flavor is great but its like trying to suck a golf ball thru a garden hose. Looking at it the coil diameter is very small so no way you are going to a good lung hit from it.
The 1.8 isn't meant for lung hitting. It's for mouth-to-lung people, which there are still a quite a few out there.

Reactions: David Wolf

sfeltch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Hanover, Pa
I use the 1.8. Mouth-to-lung here. Had the Triton for going on 2 weeks now. No problem filling, no gurgle, no spitting. Flavor is on par with my juice. I'm liking it. Frankly I welcome a new tank that is capable of mouth-to-lung hits. Tried sub ohm. Wasnt for me. This atty is right down my alley.

Reactions: David Wolf

boandlkramer

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2014
Germany
It's so easy to forget to close that dang thing!

i was dry hitting and realized it was on the fill position. Interesting that correcting it fixed the problem.

I was getting juice in my mouth so I closed the juice control alittle and it solved my problem
aac3d52d7bf0a870cfccf7b6e457f137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: drysprocket

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
This tank is my nightmare. Aspire's rep responded to me on the their forums yesterday...yeah, they're not gonna fix this thing. So I've given up all hope on this tank, and am done with Aspire going forward.

Hopefully another company will make a new tank for 1.8 coils.

Dry, I'm with you. This tank is bomb! I hate to admit I bought four of the damn things. One is displayed in my "Don't-Use-Anymore" Collection and the other three are in a box with other junk.

My problem with tank was more that it was very fiddly for very little juice capacity. The other issue was that it was loud, of which most of that was the 1.8ohm coil. However, the same coil put in Atlantis 1 with a 7ml A-MOD tank works great. So my day-to-day setup for home use is the Triton 1.8ohm coil inside an Atlantis 1 base with an A-Mod tank and a delrin drip tip from EVC, and all that is run on an MVP 3.0 Pro at 11 watts with 50-50 juixw. Why use something big like that at 11 watts, because with a 4500mAh battery it runs forever?

I'm not dead on Aspire yet. To me the Atlantis 1 tank with an extension and the 1.8ohm coil are great products. But they screwed the pooch with the Atlantis 2, Triton, new Nautilus cotton coils, etc. I did, however, just order a Pegasus mod. I want to get away from anything with an internal battery, non-replacable battery. Don't ask me why. I just feel better knowing I can change the battery at will.

Reactions: drysprocket

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
I have the leak controlled mostly. had to learn how. overall this thing is very finicky but so are most clearos. as I said the vapor shark coils might be the only ones that give a reason not to rta. they last 6-8 weeks with heavy vaping at very high wattage. the very odd thing is it tends to use less juice at much higher wattage. you can push those tc coils at 90 watts! just put temp to 300f.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
This tank is my nightmare. Aspire's rep responded to me on the their forums yesterday...yeah, they're not gonna fix this thing. So I've given up all hope on this tank, and am done with Aspire going forward.

Hopefully another company will make a new tank for 1.8 coils.

Dry, just saw where a Triton 2 is forthcoming. Are you going to give it a shot? I probably won't. I've fallen in love with the Kabuki for the ProVari. In the last couple of weeks I've blown my vaping budget for the next 100 years!

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Dry, just saw where a Triton 2 is forthcoming. Are you going to give it a shot? I probably won't. I've fallen in love with the Kabuki for the ProVari. In the last couple of weeks I've blown my vaping budget for the next 100 years!

It will be a cold day in hell :) It looks like a good design, but I'm never buying another aspire product again out of principle alone. I mean, so many tanks have problems, but companies support it in some way. Aspire basically gave us all the finger and said good luck. So that's a big negative ghostrider.

And I keep hearing about that Kabuki. I'm sure it's great, but I still don't understand why it's so expensive. I might get one down the road if they price goes down.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
Dry, well I've made the switch to 100% ProVaris and Kabuki tanks, which of course do use Nautilus coils. I don't know how Zen does it, but if you thought Space Jam Eclipse was good before, you won't believe it in a Kabuki. You'll get way more taste and somehow consume a little less juice in the Kabuki. I doubt the price will go down. This isn't a cheap tank and it's made in the USA. Everything else, with the possible exception of a Kayfun, looks and feels like crap compared to the Kabuki. Buy one. You won't regret it.

PS And the Nautilus coils last way longer in a Kabuki than they ever did in a Nautilus tank. Don't understand that either, but it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread