Aspire's Nautilus Nautilus Tank System -- The 2014 new AIR FLOW systerm coming very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
FWIW, I wound a single coil replacement for one of my Nautilus heads yesterday and it vaped pretty well, but needs some customization. It had a tendency to wick slowly at first and lean out and that was probably due to insufficient cotton in the coil or poor contact with the feeder wick in the head and needing more time to saturate. Inserting the coil was as easy as rebuilding a Kanger. If you wanted to do dual coils, there are two sets of slots in the fiber tube that the coils and wicks fit into at right angles to each other. I personally don't see a need for dual coils if a single micro coil is used and engineered properly. It's going to take a little trial and error to get the right feel for creating cotton wicking material in the right thickness to feed the coil optimally.

RipTripper videos were a great help with the Nautilus rebuild. I don't know it I would have tried it had he not done videos on the single and dual coil replacement that made me realize how easy it was to do.

The coil I wound read 1.5 ohms and had approximately 8 to 10 turns on the 1.8mm spindle. I say approximately because it was the first wind from a spool of 28ga Kanthal and I didn't notice at first that there were kinks in the lead end that was wrapped to secure the wire to the spool. I didn't want kinks in the leads coming off the coil itself. I had to unwrap a few turns from the right side and add on the left to extend that to a point where I could cut it off and have nice straight leads to feed down through the tube to the contact points.

I used an organic cotton wick pulled from organic cotton balls. I twisted it tightly at the ends to make it thread into the coil and it was an easy slip fit. I think it needed to be more snug with greater contact pressure. I'll try it again with more cotton in the coil. As with a new Aspire head, it required some break in time to achieve flavor. Don't give up if it doesn't have great flavor at first. If it produces a good cloud, it will break in and vape satisfactorily. Mine tasted a little metallic until I vaped it for a while. I heated the coil to a red hot glow for about 20 seconds with a micro torch to burn off impurities and anneal and set the wire before inserting in the head.

The Gizmo coil winder is definitely a good tool for coil winding. If you don't have a Hobby Lobby store nearby, Amazon sells it. The Deluxe version has 5 crank rods. The sizes are 18-gauge (1.22mm), 15-gauge (1.83mm), 10-gauge (3.25mm), 8-gauge (4.06mm) and 6-gauge (4.88mm). There's a wide gap between the two smallest and the 3 largest. I find 1.83mm to be a good size for micro coils for Kanger and Aspire heads. Some might call it a nano size. There's probably a need for a couple more rods in the 2.x mm range. It's so easy to wind that a rod could easily be made from copper wire and used for creating custom sized coils. You just need a straight piece of stiff wire with a couple or right angles bent in to make a handle for turning the shaft. A small clothes hanger might be just right.

Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Last edited:

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY

mjt

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
i mainly gave up on rebuilding things, i just don't have the time, maybe once a week i'll redo a rebuildable at my house but i'm talking about the heads being poor quality more than anything....i've been extremely disapointed with the unit because the heads have been so awful

I got my Nautilus on Saturday and have been using the 1.6 head since then. I was using a Viva Nova with 2.8 heads before, because I got burnt flavor quickly with the other heads.

After constant use on this Nautilus since Saturday. I have the thing pretty dialed in. I wasn't getting good flavor at first and then I got some burnt taste. I took the unit apart and reset the head in. Since then I've been running it at 3.2 on my device and I'm only using the two smaller air holes. When some gurgle kicks in I switch to bigger ones for a bit and go back to the smaller holes.

I've also tried the tipping it upside for second suggestion and that does seem to help a little.

I'm really sensitive to burnt taste and if I get much I'm really turned of quickly. The 1.6 head might be a little hot, but with these settings the Nautilus seems to be a winner for me so far and I'm really ..... So ...., I stick with stuff that leaks, wastes juice and burns heads quickly just to avoid that horrible burnt taste.

Try backing your battery down 3.2 and then try the two smaller air holes. That works for me. Once the head is broken in a bit, it works well. I use a 50/50 BWB liquid right now. Will be trying 100% PG and 100% VG soon.

Agree it's a great tank but the glass is so so THIN!
I went through glass after glass till I decided to grab a stainless tube Now it's great but I prefer the flavor a tad more w the glass I like BIG tanks so I don't have to refill.
Hence the kayfun and this one.

Day 6 on 3 different Nautilus...
I have NEVER found an ALL day e-liquid... and instead have (during each day) switched off and on
around to approximately 6-7 different e-liquids during the day....
But with these new Nautilus... wow... what a difference... the flavors are so outstanding more so than before
that any one of the 3 that I am now using... could easily be an ALL day vape for me... and I never thought I would find that treasure...

And... when it comes to clouds (I do mean vaporization) whew!!! The billowing coming out could make the SKY blink a time or two!
Each and every day it has been like this... nothing has change except to get better and better. I am impressed.
Aspire has done a very fine job...

And one of the reason is in that LITTLE contact pin on the bottom of the head that holds the coils...
If one notices what they've done they'll see two little holes cut through that contact pin... which actually... and truly
starts a vortex spinning underneath .... the two cross and intersected coils... that spin the vapor up the air shaft
to the users... ...this happening ... instead... of just some air hole... (single) at the bottom of a contact pin setting
flat against the contacting metal of the build below it... and getting only one single (hole) access to any air at all... no matter how much is
shoved towards it nor how many air holes are cut near the base around it... it can (the one hole contact pin) only take in as much air as that single hole allows, period.

That's the difference between the Aspire Nautilus... two holes contact pin on the sides vortex creations...
uses both intersected (crossed) coils to vaporize the e-liquid...
and the other wanna be one hole only contact pin... means only 1 (the bottom coil) is truly doing all the work... while blocking off a major portion of the other coil (which is running parallel instead of crossed) as the air goes by.

Sambuca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Albuquerque
Agree it's a great tank but the glass is so so THIN!
I went through glass after glass till I decided to grab a stainless tube Now it's great but I prefer the flavor a tad more w the glass I like BIG tanks so I don't have to refill.
Hence the kayfun and this one.

there is a new replacement tank for the nautilus. it's glass and steel:

Aspire Nautilus assy stainless steel tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread