Atlantis and Sub Tank Mini Owners --- Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal

This thread is intended for owners of BOTH the Aspire Atlantis and the Kanger Sub tank and their thoughts and observations of them.

I have had my Atlantis for about 3 weeks, it was my first sub ohm tank. I love it, but I am not happy with Aspires usage of silica wicking material - Nor am I happy with an average coil life of 20-30 ml (1-3 days). Yes, I have rewicked and rebuilt several and it improves the flavor and lifespan, but its a PITA to do!

So I ordered and received my Sub Tank Mini today. The flavor is actually better using the same juice in each tank with a new coil in each as well for comparison. I will have to see how the Kanger coils last now, although they appear to be slightly easier to rebuild and definitely easier to rewick!

My other observation is that even at the same wattage the Sub Tank Mini gets much hotter at the drip tip and the vapor is as well. Not a little hotter, a lot! Have any of you experienced this? What could be causing this? This has me stumped as they are .5 ohm coils in each and the same wattage setting on my regulated box. Anyone have a possible explanation for this phenomena?

Let us all hear your experiences and comparisons between these two great tanks. Which do you prefer and why?

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I find the atlantis is great at blowing clouds and works very well at higher wattages. I'd assume so because the nr-r-nr wire it uses.

Subtank works very well at lower wattages (I actually use mine on my zombi mod)

Could be because atlantis is a vertical coil vs the horizontal coil in the subtank, etc.

I find the subtank has great flavor, and can chuck a decent cloud, but the atlantis, on a box, can chuck a big cloud. I dont get enough flavor out of it myself.

my 2 cents anyways

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
I like the subtank over Atlantis. I have found that you need to dial the Subtank down. I personally don't push it over 26W. I have the Subtank Mini on order and assume it will be on part with or most likely better than the 25mm Subtank. The Joytech Delta 2 blows them both away.

What advantage does the Delta 2 have over the Atlantis and the Subs?

I find the atlantis is great at blowing clouds and works very well at higher wattages. I'd assume so because the nr-r-nr wire it uses.

Subtank works very well at lower wattages (I actually use mine on my zombi mod)

Could be because atlantis is a vertical coil vs the horizontal coil in the subtank, etc.

I find the subtank has great flavor, and can chuck a decent cloud, but the atlantis, on a box, can chuck a big cloud. I dont get enough flavor out of it myself.
my 2 cents anyways

Have you tried re-wicking a stock Atlantis coil with cotton? Much much more flavor!

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
I purchased an Atlantis roughly a month ago, and used it up until the Subtank Mini was released.

I usually run 75vg/25pg ratio DIY liquid at 6mg.

My opinion on the Atlantis:
-Can be pushed to 30-35w with airflow wide open and produces great clouds, but lacks flavor.
-Dialing it down to 20-22w and using the second to last airhole (Not the slot, rather the larger of the two round holes), produces a dense vape, with better flavor.
(I've not rebuilt any Atlantis coils, so re-wicking with cotton may produce better flavor at the higher wattages.)

vs. The Subtank
-Cannot be pushed as high at the Atlantis, I usually run mine around 20-22W (.5Ohm coils). Great flavor, noticeably less vapor than the Atlantis when running wide open.
-Dial down the airflow and keep it in the 18-20w range(.5Ohm coils), major flavor, very warm and dense vapor.
-I prefer the .5 coils over the 1.2s, I seem to experience noticeably more spitting/minor flooding using the 1.2 coils around 22-24w. (This may be user error, I have yet to find a wattage range I like on the 1.2s.)
-I do not use the standard stainless tip that comes with the Subtank, so I cannot speak to the tip getting uncomfortably warm. I've come too close to chipping teeth with metal tips, and prefer acrylic/delrin.

I now rebuild the Subtank mini at .6Ohms using dual strand twisted 28G kanthal, and vape around 26w. The flavor is outstanding, and the vapor production is at least on par with the Atlantis coils. The wicking is very forgiving for folks who are not experienced RTA builders. This is the first tank I've managed to wick without a dry hit/flooding. The first time I tried to wick the coil, it worked like a charm!

If I had to choose between the two on stock coils, I would have to give it to the Subtank for flavor, juice capacity, and overall quality.

(Edited for spelling.)

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
I have both tanks and the flavor on the mini is definitely the better of the two. I initially I was digging the Mini over the Atlantis but the hot vape is starting to wear on me. That and it's like being force fed with the Mini, just hold the button and bam! Very intense tank, lots of flavor but it's like vaping on the hot end of a Roman candle:evil:

Keep in mind I've got this dialed way back to 15watts with either OCC coil, anything over 20 watts is just to much for me. Might be my imagination but it seems like the rba is just a bit milder vape experience.

With the Atalntis the vape is cooler more relaxed and less intense. I run it anywhere between 25-30watts and really enjoy it. I go back and forth between the two and enjoy them both find myself enjoying the Atlantis more lately.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I only vape two favors from ITC vapse, mach 10 and berserker. They both taste quite different from one tank to the next. I'm fine with all the different flavor experiences.

I have 2 N minis, an Atlantis, an egrip, and yesterday I got a Kanger mini and set up the rba so limited experience with that. I use them all, like them all. All have pluses and minuses. My bias, I prefer to vape at low watts, around 8-10. I can do that with the egrip and the N minis. My only power is a IPV 2s so it's 3.6 minimum volts won't let me fire the Atlantis and kanger mini as low as I would like. I'll get that fixed. The flavor king ironically is the Egrip at low watts with RBA option but it tends to leak with pocket carry. I'll use it more when I have solved that. I don't have a leaking problem with the Egrip replacable heads. I'm new to rebuiding. All day I prefer the N minis but the coils tend to gunk up faster than I would like and restrict the air flow. I have yet to buy anything that I don't use but. How can I get the Kaner mini to be as mellow as the N minis. What wire do I get for that one to run it at low watts?

None of them is perfect. My all day vapse are the n minis. My beef with those is the air flow and vapor production get restricted quicker than I'd like. The rba on the egrip at low watts makes the best flavor of the bunch but I haven't learned how to keep it from leaking so carry is limited. My experience with coils on the Atlantis is they last forever. The kanger is new to me. Theh stock coil appears to be .6 so my

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
I purchased an Atlantis roughly a month ago, and used it up until the Subtank Mini was released.

I usually run 75vg/25pg ratio DIY liquid at 6mg.

My opinion on the Atlantis:
-Can be pushed to 30-35w with airflow wide open and produces great clouds, but lacks flavor.
-Dialing it down to 20-22w and using the second to last airhole (Not the slot, rather the larger of the two round holes), produces a dense vape, with better flavor.
(I've not rebuilt any Atlantis coils, so re-wicking with cotton may produce better flavor at the higher wattages.)

vs. The Subtank
-Cannot be pushed as high at the Atlantis, I usually run mine around 20-22W (.5Ohm coils). Great flavor, noticeably less vapor than the Atlantis when running wide open.
-Dial down the airflow and keep it in the 18-20w range(.5Ohm coils), major flavor, very warm and dense vapor.
-I prefer the .5 coils over the 1.2s, I seem to experience noticeably more spitting/minor flooding using the 1.2 coils around 22-24w. (This may be user error, I have yet to find a wattage range I like on the 1.2s.)
-I do not use the standard stainless tip that comes with the Subtank, so I cannot speak to the tip getting uncomfortably warm. I've come too close to chipping teeth with metal tips, and prefer acrylic/delrin.

I now rebuild the Subtank mini at .6Ohms using dual strand twisted 28G kanthal, and vape around 26w. The flavor is outstanding, and the vapor production is at least on par with the Atlantis coils. The wicking is very forgiving for folks who are not experienced RTA builders. This is the first tank I've managed to wick without a dry hit/flooding. The first time I tried to wick the coil, it worked like a charm!

If I had to choose between the two on stock coils, I would have to give it to the Subtank for flavor, juice capacity, and overall quality.

(Edited for spelling.)

Nice write up! Thanks for the input!

When you have a chance would you post an image of that stranded coil build? I'd really like to see that, and I'm sure I'm not alone!

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
Nice write up! Thanks for the input!

When you have a chance would you post an image of that stranded coil build? I'd really like to see that, and I'm sure I'm not alone!

Unfortunately, all I've got at the moment is my cell, so forgive the image quality. I will get some proper shots later on this evening when I rebuild.
I took a couple quick shots during a re-wick.
WP_20150208_13_27_22_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20150208_13_37_15_Pro__highres.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread