atmizoo by atmizone - General Discussion for current and upcoming Projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
So are we getting close enough for an ETA on the Guppy and the Bayou tank yet? Would love any more information (videos) you could provide. My custom roller is utterly brilliant and will certainly be my all day every day mod until such a time i get the guppy. I tend to vape very little during the day and would like the smaller form factor along with the reliability of a tank and carto. Thank you for your time.

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
So are we getting close enough for an ETA on the Guppy and the Bayou tank yet? Would love any more information (videos) you could provide. My custom roller is utterly brilliant and will certainly be my all day every day mod until such a time i get the guppy. I tend to vape very little during the day and would like the smaller form factor along with the reliability of a tank and carto. Thank you for your time.

We are very close, targeting a release within the next couple weeks, if possible. There will be an announcement here a few days before the event :)

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
New contest up and running until December 1st, 2013:

#CaptureYourAtmizoo Photo Contest

We are asking you for your most unique, artistic, funny, or lifestyle photos of your Atmizoo device.

The capture may include you, or any theme that you like. It just needs to include an Atmizoo device in *any* way.

Mark each photo with the hashtag #captureyouratmizoo and #atmizoo and upload it via your Instagram app.

The two winners will be the users with the two highest ranked photographs.

The prize is a €200 gift coupon for each of the two winners.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
We are very close, targeting a release within the next couple weeks, if possible. There will be an announcement here a few days before the event :)

Brilliant - Thank you for the update. Any idea on prices for each? Ballpark? Also I presume the buttons will work with the roller?

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
In terms of pricing, the Guppy will fall between the Dingo and the Roller. On the high end of the pricing scale will be versions with technically demanding finishes that are much more difficult / expensive to produce and in limited quantities.

In terms of function, it's hard to make any comparisons with other mods since the Guppy is special in every way.

The design principle of the device is a blend of functional and formal simplicity, based on the fact that most of the elements required for consistent, top performance are actually the same ones that make a mod easy to use. With the Guppy, we have brought these elements together for the first time, in a form-factor made for 16340 batteries. The result is a high-performance, simple, pocket-friendly device made to bring out the most of high-drain, low-internal-resistance 16340 batteries. If you use fixed-length 18350 mods frequently, you may fall in love with this one, since 18350s are very close to 16340s in performance.

The new switch is a heavy rework of our existing design, with beefier contacts and parts that are very easy to handle (no flying ball bearings this time). It is a fully sealed, very durable unit that will be used in all our upcoming uni-tube mods.

More details soon!

PS: The buttons will not be a good match for the Roller / Dingo, since their profile and diameter is smaller.

Last edited:

coco.bun

Verified Member
6435c47a-686c-4d06-a5dc-6b0b8927b88f_zps0a93e2e2.jpg

love mine...I think Dieter Rams would appreciate the design too :). Can't wait for more products to come out (the guppy teasers on facebook are killing me!).

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
The Guppy is now officially a completed project. The first Guppy SS-M release is scheduled for Thursday, November 7, 1900 GMT. Yep, that's tomorrow.

Detailed information about our new mini-mech can be found here, while this post is a small introduction to the uni-tube concept behind the Guppy.

The Bayou 510d-type tank was also released rather quietly yesterday - the Bayou is a totally fresh design that addresses the most common issues associated with conventional tanks. It was designed as a perfect match for the Guppy, but its minimal style allows it to sit comfortably on pretty much anything.

Dmorr123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
suburbs of Phila
Hi Theops,

I have a question about my roller. I bought my roller almost a year ago used from the classifieds here and I noticed that I'm missing the reinforcement ring. What is the benefit of having it? I also noticed I keep getting little black spots on the hex contacts that would not come off without using some kind of polish and I see that the plating is starting to wear off. Are the little black spots scorch marks from me not making a good contact with the button? Thanks

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
Hi Theops,

I have a question about my roller. I bought my roller almost a year ago used from the classifieds here and I noticed that I'm missing the reinforcement ring. What is the benefit of having it? I also noticed I keep getting little black spots on the hex contacts that would not come off without using some kind of polish and I see that the plating is starting to wear off. Are the little black spots scorch marks from me not making a good contact with the button? Thanks

It's an absolutely integral component!

If the ring is not in-place, the whole switch assembly will just float in the housing - this will cause bad contact with the atomizer, bad contact with the battery, ugly friction when pressing the button and bad force distribution on the contacts.

You guessed correctly, the black spots are scorch marks due to contact overheating. Bad force distribution on the contacts, leaked juice or dirt will result in bad contact = arcing and overheating. Without the reinforcement ring, you will easily get leaked juice into the switch.

For this reason, even with the ring on, it's very important to keep the inner tube fully screwed against the switch housing and only use the cap for inserting batteries. The 'switch assembly - switch housing - inner tube' part of the device should always be assembled well and never separated with an atomizer mounted on the device: Roller / Dingo: 10 Tips to Keep in Mind | atmizoo vaping modware

There should be a liquid-sealing grommet under the connector - that rubber ring will only do its job if the switch is sandwiched tightly between the inner tube and the connector, and for that, you need the reinforcement ring.

If you get a new switch assembly, write a note asking for a spare reinforcement ring! Then, once you get the contacts of this switch re-plated, you'll have two fully operational assemblies! The plating cost should be quite low - just take the contacts to a jeweller's, ask for a thick layer of pure silver and you'll be all set.

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
wow it looks great :) Any ETA on the 18650 guppy?

A 18500+ version is already in production, but until the first final pieces are ready, it will be hard to give an ETA. Once it appears here, you'll know its release is close. Depending on the reception of the 18500, a full 18650 version might be added to the schedule.

The 18500 will get at least one extension, despite the fact that we've developed a distaste towards all kinds of redundant tubing. They are OK for adding flexibility cheaply, but they are a compromise for everything else - purity, simplicity, performance. In fact, this is the reason that our small-form-factor device is a pure 16340. 16340s are so similar to 18350s that the next logical jump is the well-balanced 18500-form-factor. Uni-tubes were made for one purpose: no design compromises!

Oh, by the way, this one won't be called a Guppy! We tend to refer to projects with funny names during development, but then they tend to get stuck even after a project is over. Luckily this doesn't have a nickname (yet) :p

Last edited:

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Theops - can you help me out with a dilemma i have. I have been waiting and looking out for the guppy since my custom roller arrived. I have a fair few quality mods but it is my all day everyday device. My kayfun lite usually sits on top, but i have just recently got an origien dripper which i have been testing out on it (will post a pic soon). Anyway funds are a little tight at the moment so i have not ordered a guppy yet. I was hoping you could sway me even more so to pick one up. Besides form factor is there any benefit of getting/using a guppy over a roller? Obviously i would get the Bayou as well to go with it but i am also worried i could not go back to cartomizers. I have a Diver - will this sit well in the (small) Bayou? Will there be a review popping up soon? as in have you sent a device out to anyone? I have no doubt over build quality at all, it would just be nice to see it sit in comparison to some other mods or just hear someone talk it over. Thank you for any help you can give.

Dmorr123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
suburbs of Phila
Thank you for the quick response. I'll be ordering my new switch along with a couple other things within the next week and yes, I thought the switch was supposed to be smoother. I f I made it a nice tight connection the switch always had that ugly friction so I backed it off a little and just dealt with it. I was always on the fence about getting a new switch and this just confirms it. Thank you

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
Theops - can you help me out with a dilemma i have. I have been waiting and looking out for the guppy since my custom roller arrived. I have a fair few quality mods but it is my all day everyday device. My kayfun lite usually sits on top, but i have just recently got an origien dripper which i have been testing out on it (will post a pic soon). Anyway funds are a little tight at the moment so i have not ordered a guppy yet. I was hoping you could sway me even more so to pick one up. Besides form factor is there any benefit of getting/using a guppy over a roller? Obviously i would get the Bayou as well to go with it but i am also worried i could not go back to cartomizers. I have a Diver - will this sit well in the (small) Bayou? Will there be a review popping up soon? as in have you sent a device out to anyone? I have no doubt over build quality at all, it would just be nice to see it sit in comparison to some other mods or just hear someone talk it over. Thank you for any help you can give.

The whole concept of uni-tubes screams "niche", especially the 16340 Guppy. Niche not in terms of its value or looks, but strictly in terms of purpose.

Look at the facts:

1) It's a 19.5mm diameter, 63mm long, ~50g device.
2) It's super low-voltage-drop, easy to use, but strictly 16340.

The device was designed to be as portable and simple as possible. Compared to a Roller or Dingo in 18350 mode, it feels just tiny.

The tradeoff is that it works with 16340 batteries (strictly original, low-internal-resistance IMR), a form factor few people are familiar with. 16340s are very comparable to 18350s and 14500s, which means that sub-ohm resistances are a bad, bad idea. Some people still use 18350s and 14500s for SLR vaping, but just because they do doesn't mean that they should.

In all other cases, a quality, low-internal-resistance 16340 IMR will pleasantly vaporise around 1.0-1.5 ml of juice, almost the same as a 18350. (The volt-drop difference between a 18350 AW IMR and its 16340 counterpart is max 0.05V with a 2 Ohm resistance and 0.1V with a 1 Ohm resistance, almost insignificant). Also, the lower capacity of the 16340s/18350s/14500s is not a problem if you carry a couple batteries with you.

So, in the end, the answer is simple:

- If you like mechanical mods for whatever reason other than SLR vaping, and want something easy-to-use, easy-to-carry with loads of performance, then the Guppy is a good candidate if you have something to put on top. It's the kind of mod that you'll throw in your pocket during a night out without getting any weird looks - wives, mums and co-workers actually seem to like it a lot "compared to the other stuff".

There are plenty of sub-20mm atomizers out there that will look great on it, as well as a few 510d type rebuildables that can be used with the Bayou to get a seamless look.

The Diver will work fine with the Bayou, but top-filling it in any tank that has a top/side-refill system might be a bit challenging.

I guess reviews will start to appear soon, but, as usual, you'll get a more objective opinion from people who had it in their hands for a while, or at least from reviewers who share first impressions & experiences over time.

SodaSmall.jpg

Last edited:

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
The whole concept of uni-tubes screams "niche", especially the 16340 Guppy. Niche not in terms of its value or looks, but strictly in terms of purpose.

Look at the facts:

1) It's a 19.5mm diameter, 63mm long, ~50g device.
2) It's super low-voltage-drop, easy to use, but strictly 16340.

The device was designed to be as portable and simple as possible. Compared to a Roller or Dingo in 18350 mode, it feels just tiny.

The tradeoff is that it works with 16340 batteries (strictly original, low-internal-resistance IMR), a form factor few people are familiar with. 16340s are very comparable to 18350s and 14500s, which means that sub-ohm resistances are a bad, bad idea. Some people still use 18350s and 14500s for SLR vaping, but just because they do doesn't mean that they should.

In all other cases, a quality, low-internal-resistance 16340 IMR will pleasantly vaporise around 1.0-1.5 ml of juice, almost the same as a 18350. (The volt-drop difference between a 18350 AW IMR and its 16340 counterpart is max 0.05V with a 2 Ohm resistance and 0.1V with a 1 Ohm resistance, almost insignificant). Also, the lower capacity of the 16340s/18350s/14500s is not a problem if you carry a couple batteries with you.

So, in the end, the answer is simple:

- If you like mechanical mods for whatever reason other than SLR vaping, and want something easy-to-use, easy-to-carry with loads of performance, then the Guppy is a good candidate if you have something to put on top. It's the kind of mod that you'll throw in your pocket during a night out without getting any weird looks - wives, mums and co-workers actually seem to like it a lot "compared to the other stuff".

There are plenty of sub-20mm atomizers out there that will look great on it, as well as a few 510d type rebuildables that can be used with the Bayou to get a seamless look.

The Diver will work fine with the Bayou, but top-filling it in any tank that has a top/side-refill system might be a bit challenging.

I guess reviews will start to appear soon, but, as usual, you'll get a more objective opinion from people who had it in their hands for a while, or at least from reviewers who share first impressions & experiences over time.

View attachment 270765

Wow! Thank you for your speedy and lengthy/detailed response there Theops. I like the part about being more acceptable/pleasing by the wife and others. I have only converted 1 of my social circle friends to vaping so i am still the 'odd' one when we are out for a few drinks. I sat a big exam last week and i have decided to put it to fate - If i pass ill buy it now, if i fail ill get it for Christmas. Im thinking another reason to pick it up is to experience the ice matte version, so hopefully this will be out soon. I take it the possibility of a hybrid rba is in the makings??

P.s. Nice pic

theops

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
Athens, GR
www.atmizoo.com
I have 2 Rollers. 1 I got in the classys and one I bought new. The old one has a nice smooth button press but I have to press hard to get it to fire. The new one's button press feels like it's rubbing on something and kind of clicky. Is there a solution for either of these problems?

Have you disassembled them to take a look?

The old one probably needs maintenance & perhaps re-plating: Roller / Dingo: Notes on Maintenance | atmizoo vaping modware

The new one might be rubbing against its own delrin washer, or the locking system might be too stiff. To soften the locking system, you can compress the ball bearing spring a bit with your fingers so that about 50% of the ball disappears in the Axle hole when you look at it from the side. Such issues are easy to de-bug by assembling the switch in the housing only with the Axle + spring on, and adding the remaining parts gradually. Was this unit purchased from atmizoo.com?

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Have you disassembled them to take a look?

The old one probably needs maintenance & perhaps re-plating: Roller / Dingo: Notes on Maintenance | atmizoo vaping modware

The new one might be rubbing against its own delrin washer, or the locking system might be too stiff. To soften the locking system, you can compress the ball bearing spring a bit with your fingers so that about 50% of the ball disappears in the Axle hole when you look at it from the side. Such issues are easy to de-bug by assembling the switch in the housing only with the Axle + spring on, and adding the remaining parts gradually. Was this unit purchased from atmizoo.com?

I have disassembled the old one several times and cleaned it real good, not that it looked like it needed it but the button is still hard to push. If I don't push it hard enough it misfires. I'm afraid that by pressing the button so hard I'm going to break something. I don't think it needs replating yet because I'm only getting a .3v drop in power with a LR carto, same as with my new one.

I haven't disassembled the new one. I bought this one from atmizoo and have only had it a couple weeks but the button felt scratchy from the start. Where is this Delrin washer that you mentioned? I tried pressing the ball bearing into the spring but the spring was out of the hole when I tried that. It was a no go. I can try it again with the spring in the hole.

curisu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
San Francisco
I have disassembled the old one several times and cleaned it real good, not that it looked like it needed it but the button is still hard to push. If I don't push it hard enough it misfires. I'm afraid that by pressing the button so hard I'm going to break something. I don't think it needs replating yet because I'm only getting a .3v drop in power with a LR carto, same as with my new one.

I haven't disassembled the new one. I bought this one from atmizoo and have only had it a couple weeks but the button felt scratchy from the start. Where is this Delrin washer that you mentioned? I tried pressing the ball bearing into the spring but the spring was out of the hole when I tried that. It was a no go. I can try it again with the spring in the hole.

one thing i found on my dingo was that if the atomizer was tightened to much, it pushed the floating button down a bit and caused the shaft of the button and the pins to grind. do you still get the crunchy throw if you press it with no atomizer attached?

i tuned it a bit by a 1/2 turn tighter on the positive pin and my throw returned to "stock" silky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread