Atomizer + Battery Watts Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I was trying to decipher which atty does what with which battery configurations. In "vape World", we have a tendency to speak in terms of Volts and Atty type. This makes it very difficult to compare these combinations directly. One common measurement that can be determined is the amount of watts (heat).

So, I made a spreadsheet. Down the left column, you find your battery configuration. Across the top you find your atomizer, (or similar ohms to your atty). Where the two intersect is how many watts your combo makes.

If someone else has already done this, please point me to it. Also, I certainly don't have knowledge of all attys out there. So if you know the resistance (ohms) of an atty that isn't listed, please let me know.

Cheers

Atty-Batt-Watts-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Really nice looking chart! I think your 510 range may be a little on the low side though, I thought it was more like 2.5-3.. but my meter is cheap so I don't have any real data to offer.. I just never heard anyone say the resistance was so low.

I used a test set designed to measure atty ohms. Out of 5 stock, unused Joye 510 attys, four read 2.3 and one of them read 2.2. So, I need to move the 510's one column to the right (the 2.3 ohm column). Once I am able to revise and repost I will make it clear that this has been done.

Edit: Chart has been corrected to show 510 Standard atty at 2.3 ohms instead of 2.2.

Last edited:

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Nice work Ralph....looks like it took hours to compile....:)

This needs to be stuck.....:)

PS. A couple of minor corrections, Dual 3v Lith-Ion cells are 6.6 fully charged with a nominal voltage of 3v each . Dual LifePo4's are 7.2v fully charged with a nominal voltage of 3.2v each.

Cisco...

Thanks for the kudos and additional data points. The chart has been updated.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
You usually have great posts. This chart though will just further confuse those new to the game. What does '510 Std' going to mean to someone who just bought the highly recommended 'famous 510 from a major manufacturer'. There are so many 510 clones floating around, we need NAMES/BRANDS, not a generic number. The same can be said for '510 disposables', which ones? The one's the Widow sells?

With your Single 3.7V Li-ion listings why even bother posting watts up to 4.2V? Are there any batteries that can hit an atty even at 3.9V? Again confusion for those new folks struggling to understand what's really going on.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
You usually have great posts. This chart though will just further confuse those new to the game. What does '510 Std' going to mean to someone who just bought the highly recommended 'famous 510 from a major manufacturer'. There are so many 510 clones floating around, we need NAMES/BRANDS, not a generic number. The same can be said for '510 disposables', which ones? The one's the Widow sells?

With your Single 3.7V Li-ion listings why even bother posting watts up to 4.2V? Are there any batteries that can hit an atty even at 3.9V? Again confusion for those new folks struggling to understand what's really going on.

Quite right on several points, especially the disposables, they are all over the map. I will probably remove those. And yes, none of the batteries can provide 4.2V with a 2.3 ohm load. I can get only 4.0 volts out of a 18650 battery loaded down with a 2.3 ohm 510 atty.

And yes it would be nice to have a comprehensive listing of atomizers, revisions of atomizers, their clones, and how many ohms each. It would also be nice to have the amps listed next to the watts so that you can determine what size components would be required for a mod, etc. Of course this would require a HUGE spreadsheet.

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to edit the original post as the edit button is gone. I believe that you can only edit the most recent posing you have made in a thread.

jlmanno

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ralph T, thank you for the chart! I immediately checked some of my different atty's both type and ohm's. Wow what a difference I noticed using the chart and matching atty's(ohm's) to different batteries(voltages) and finding that the 10 watt area is truly a sweet spot for me. I'm not that familiar but know electrical basic's so the chart was very easy to use! Thanks again and Happy vaping!h

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Ralph T, thank you for the chart! I immediately checked some of my different atty's both type and ohm's. Wow what a difference I noticed using the chart and matching atty's(ohm's) to different batteries(voltages) and finding that the 10 watt area is truly a sweet spot for me. I'm not that familiar but know electrical basic's so the chart was very easy to use! Thanks again and Happy vaping!h

Glad you found it useful.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I need a course in Electricity 101.

Do I have this right? Using identical batteries and two different atomizers, the atomizer with lower ohms will produce higher wattage.

Is there a preferred or ideal range of watts for vaping? I know a 100 watt bulb produces more heat and light than one with a 60 watt bulb but which is "better" depends on the application.

As for editing, just repost it further down the thread if you have more changes to make.

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
I think the prefered range for wattage for vaping is 'As high as won't fry the juice or cause your lung to eject out your rear orfice'.

Unfortunatley at the much higher wattages, juice flow demands go up. However, current juice delivery methods (cartridges) were only designed for 4-5 watts of power, it looks like. They've never been validated or designed for higher than standard 3.7v. So as long as juice delivery can keep up with vaporization power of the atomizers, you should just get more vapor, and better throat hit.

Judging from vapor guys and a ton of other people around the board, it looks like the 'sweet spot' for vapor production among current atomizers is around 8-10W.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I need a course in Electricity 101.

Do I have this right? Using identical batteries and two different atomizers, the atomizer with lower ohms will produce higher wattage.

That is exactly right... Because more current (amperes or amps) will flow if there is less resistance (ohms). Unfortunately, the battery is drained faster as a result. :(

Also, as others have pointed out, a battery delivers less voltage when under LOAD. This is caused by the internal resistance of the battery coming into play. I plan on doing some testing soon to determine just how much less this is. I do remember that a typical 18650 (about the largest battery we vapers use) delivers about .2 less volts under load. I think a 10440 would drop even more. Hopefully I can do some testing this weekend. Anyway, 4.2 volts for a fully charged 3.7 volt lithium is pretty unrealistic. I suspect 4.0 volts under load is more likely.

I would also agree with Vapinginjapan that 8-10 or watts seems pretty close to the sweet spot. Most people that have tried it seem to think that 5V is the holy grail of vaping. This looks about right on a 510 or an 808 Carto.

I found this Electronics 101 listing of definitions. Might be useful if you want to know more.

Last edited:

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The chart has been updated to reflect several different things.

1. The 510 Std atty shown in the chart is now 510 Joy. Thats what I have, and they read 2.3 ohms.

2. The voltage ranges are smaller now, reflecting that a "loaded" battery, (one that is actually being used), puts out less voltage. I did some serious testing on the 3.7 volt lithiums and the 3.0 volt LiFePo4's.

Best I could get out of a 18650, charged to 4.2V, was 4.0 volts (with a 3 ohm load). So, in the left columns, Red is the approximate voltage your fully charged batteries will put out while actually heating your atomizer. Green is the nominal voltage of the battery.

Best I could get out of (2) RCR-123A LiFePo4 batteries was 6.32 volts under load. Right out of the charger, each measured 3.85V (7.7 for both).

3. The range for the standard 3.0 volt Lithium Ion batteries is a guess at this point since I don't have the batteries or charger to support a true test.

4. Removed the 510 disposable. Not much quality control with those attys and the variance was too large.

Caveats:
1. Actual ohms on atomizers will vary depending on manufacturer. Knock offs will probably have a different resistance. Measure your attys with a cheap DMM (Digital Multimeter) to find out where yours are at.

2. Size, capacity, brand and charger will all effect your batteries performance to some extent. Once again a DMM comes in handy for measuring this.

Cheers

Last edited:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Fantastic chart, thanx! My m401 attys register 3.4 to 3.5 ohms resistance with my cheapo multi-meter.

So 8 to 10 watts is the sweet spot... ok then, i'll shoot for that.

I think the m401 could produce hotter vapor than it does. The slightly higher resistance level explains why its slightly cooler. I need one more volt is all :)

Oh... here's a product idea... hmmm this could be fun to build...

* a custom USB wall adaptor
* with a knob to alter the DC voltage to taste (so to speak)
* with a passthru gizmo with an ecig batt/atty adapter on the end
* with a manual button

Does such a thing exist for sale anywhere?

Or better yet, a custom USB wall adapter passthru gizmo with "logic" in it to deliver 8 to 10 watts regardless of the load put on it (within some limits of course). So use whatever atty you like, it adjusts to it automagically.

Does such a thing exist for sale anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread