Atomizer + Battery Watts Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
OMG, Ralph, your chart is awesome! Just* what I've been looking for for quite some time.

* No, it's more than that. I was simply hoping to find out the resistance of the various atomizers and perform the watts = volts(squared) / ohms calculations myself.​

Now all I need to do is find out the actual voltage of the standard e-cig batteries, e.g., I've read that a 510 batt is less than 3.7V, more like 3.2 ... whereas the Kr8 batt is at least a true 3.7V. Certainly consistent with my subjective experience.

Your chart must be placed in the ECF Library! <-- Is there a moderator listening?

Thanks Don.

It can be useful if you know the ohms of your atty. The atty market has spawned many different models and even within those models, several different versions. So, for instance, it is impossible to say that a 510 should be 2.3 ohms. You might have one that is 2.8 ohms.

Best thing to do is test your atty's with a meter to determine resistance (ohms) then look it up on the chart to get an idea of the heat it will output with the batteries you use.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
If you need to check a different ohm than the chart plug your numbers into V^2/R. ex. 3.7^2/1.5=9.1266666666666666666666666666667W
I know the equation, but I thought it would be nice to have it all in one chart. Rather than wait for Ralph (who may not still have the original spreadsheet lying around), I made my own. Obviously I've borrowed heavily from his layout. :oops:

wattage.png

I simplified it to three voltages per battery configuration - minimum, nominal, and maximum. The magenta and light gray cells are overpowered (>13W) and underpowered (<2.5W) respectively. If anybody would like the actual spreadsheet file to play with, you can download it here in ODS, XLS, and XHTML formats. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I know the equation, but I thought it would be nice to have it all in one chart. Rather than wait for Ralph (who may not still have the original spreadsheet lying around), I made my own. Obviously I've borrowed heavily from his layout. :oops:

wattage.png

I simplified it to three voltages per battery configuration - minimum, nominal, and maximum. The magenta and light gray cells are overpowered (>13W) and underpowered (<2.5W) respectively. If anybody would like the actual spreadsheet file to play with, you can download it here in ODS, XLS, and XHTML formats. Enjoy.

Very nicely done candre!

My biggest stumbling block in making the chart "wider" was trying to get it from Excel 2007 to .jpg. I was doing a screen capture and ran out of room on the screen. How did you get it into a picture format?

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Very nicely done candre!

My biggest stumbling block in making the chart "wider" was trying to get it from Excel 2007 to .jpg. I was doing a screen capture and ran out of room on the screen. How did you get it into a picture format?

I cheated :D

I took two screenshots - one of the right side and one of the left side. Then I cut out the two half-charts and lined them up in GIMP.

I went back and mirrored the horizontal voltage header on the right hand side of the chart. Now you can still see it when you scroll to the far side of the chart. I've updated the source files as well as the image in my previous post.

Last edited:

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I cheated :D

I took two screenshots - one of the right side and one of the left side. Then I cut out the two half-charts and lined them up in GIMP.

Sweet. I am a GIMP advocate. I just don't have much time to play with it...

But anyway, back on topic. You did an excellent job of expanding and clarifying the chart I had.

I wish we could make a definitive listing of all attys and their expected resistance. However, the market has blossomed with new versions of all these different attys, making it difficult to keep up. The majority of users don't have a Digital Multimeter, or know how to use one, so getting reliable reports from field users is also very difficult.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
I wish we could make a definitive listing of all attys and their expected resistance.
I'm afraid that is probably beyond our abilities. It is nearly impossible to tell exactly who made your atty just by looking at it. All you have to go on is what the supplier you bought it from says, and even they might not know for sure. Add to that the fact that there is a decent amount of variance between (or even within) batches, and you'd probably go mad trying to pin them all down. Heck, I can't even get together a complete list of which attys are thread-compatible, and there are only 6 types!

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I'm not to good at voltaga, watts and ohms but what I gather from all of this is the lower the resistence in the atomizer (lower ohms) the more power your 3.7 and 6.0 volt mode will have.

LR atomizers would be the best
Regular atomizers would be next
HR atomizers would be last

Of course the LR atomizers used on a high volt battery probably would not last as long.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
the lower the resistence in the atomizer (lower ohms) the more power your 3.7 and 6.0 volt mode will have.
Exactly.

LR atomizers would be the best
Regular atomizers would be next
HR atomizers would be last
Not best, just highest power output. Anything beyond 13W is too hot. You'll start burning the juice, not to mention the atty. The "sweet spot" for most people is somewhere between 6-12W.

booker

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2010
London
Heya - what is the meaning of light coloured values?

Thanks!

btw. great work people!

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks guys. :)

I had kinda hoped this thread had died. :laugh: I guess Everlast stumbled on it yesterday and revived it from a whole years rest. :laugh: Not a problem though. :) I wish that I still had this spreadsheet somewhere. I think it was lost in the crash of Oct 2010 (hard drive). I will hunt for it, but not sure how I could share it here on ECF. I don't think there is a mechanism for uploading anything but pics here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread