Not open for further replies.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Emus - nice job on your first attempt! You guys make it look simple. :thumb:

Ok for curiosity's sake, what's the parts list one would need?

switch
threaded pot (is that even the correct name for that piece?)
wiring ( what gauge?)
battery holder

Anything else? And remember, this is coming from a total noob at this stuff. Anyone mind throwing out some links to parts you used so I'll know I'm looking at the right ones?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I found it useful when I first made it, and thought others might get something out of it. Useful for seeing what happens when you go from a 3 ohm carto to a 2.5 ohm one. Or what happens when you move your 510 atty from that 3.7 volt mod to a 5V passthru. Mostly useful for comparison.

Voltage sag is indeed a big issue...
So modest.

Ralph is one of the early pioneers here who also helped demystify actual loaded volts with his gizmo.

Test Set :: Overview: Atty Test Set picture by Ralph_T_62 - Photobucket

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009

switch
wiring ( what gauge?)
battery holder

Anything else? And remember, this is coming from a total noob at this stuff. Anyone mind throwing out some links to parts you used so I'll know I'm looking at the right ones?

510 atty connector: I robbed one out of an old 510 batt. I soldered it to Altoids to prevent leaks and provide solid connection to ground.

Switch: 3 Amp switch from Ebay. I modded switch such that it touches batt positive post. Soldered Aluminum angle to Altoids to secure switch. Switch reliability is extremely important. My switch has a proven reliability history in a DIY PT. I've had more luck w/ the box style switches.

Only one wire needed: From atty center post to fuse.

Fuse: 3 amp fuse soldered to 3 amp switch. Heat shrink tape covers exposed positive terminals.

Batt holder: cut copper pipe and soldered to Altoids.

Spring soldered to Altoids.

Wire: Robbed from old PC power supply.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
So modest.

Ralph is one of the early pioneers here who also helped demystify actual loaded volts with his gizmo.

Test Set :: Overview: Atty Test Set picture by Ralph_T_62 - Photobucket

Willie, you are way too kind. I don't use that set very often anymore. Forgot those pics were still there.

I did build a dummy load though, using 1 ohm wire wound resistors. So, I can go from .5 ohms up to 4.5 ohms load simulation. Used it to plot performance curves of the 14500 and AA NiMh, and the NiZn (1.6 V) batteries. Those NiZn batts looked real promising, but in the end, poor quality control (cell capacity variance) and the lack of an independent channel charger. Three of them in series put out real nice, but inevitably one cell was the weak one of the bunch, and would be driven negative before you knew what was happening. Hard to charge 3 batteries, when the chargers only charged in pairs (series). I bench charged them for awhile, but gave up on them. The Nickel-Zinc technology is going to be great for the hybrid cars though, clean, recyclable, green......

Geez, now you got me rattling on and on. :laugh::facepalm:

ETA: Two 1 ohm resistors in parallel is how I got the half ohm increment.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

switch
wiring ( what gauge?)
battery holder

I don't make mods but I know that madvapes sells all kinds of parts and even build it yourself kits.

Mod Kits

Might look around for some ideas of for some harder to find parts.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
510 atty connector: I robbed one out of an old 510 batt. I soldered it to Altoids to prevent leaks and provide solid connection to ground.

Switch: 3 Amp switch from Ebay. I modded switch such that it touches batt positive post. Soldered Aluminum angle to Altoids to secure switch. Switch reliability is extremely important. My switch has a proven reliability history in a DIY PT. I've had more luck w/ the box style switches.

Only one wire needed: From atty center post to fuse.

Fuse: 3 amp fuse soldered to 3 amp switch. Heat shrink tape covers exposed positive terminals.

Batt holder: cut copper pipe and soldered to Altoids.

Spring soldered to Altoids.

Wire: Robbed from old PC power supply.

You done real good! I really like all of that extra space in there, lets the user decide how many extra batteries, or juce, or cartos to carry.

I tried soldering to the tin several times, but it seemed to jack up the finish on the exterior of the box. I usually wire the ring and the center conductor now. Cant trust a physical connection where tin is involved. Your solder solves that issue.

Now is I could only find a decent clear coat. I want a mostly clear aerosol with almost a rubber texture, to keep the damn things from slipping out of the shirt pocket.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
You done real good! I really like all of that extra space in there, lets the user decide how many extra batteries, or juce, or cartos to carry.

I tried soldering to the tin several times, but it seemed to jack up the finish on the exterior of the box. I usually wire the ring and the center conductor now. Cant trust a physical connection where tin is involved. Your solder solves that issue.

Now is I could only find a decent clear coat. I want a mostly clear aerosol with almost a rubber texture, to keep the damn things from slipping out of the shirt pocket.

I expected the solder to mess up the exterior finish but it didn't.

I like to sand metal before soldering. I melt a pile of solder on Altoids first. Pre-solder it's mate.

I try to heat quickly w/ iron tip in puddle of solder.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

I expected the solder to mess up the exterior finish but it didn't.

I like to sand metal before soldering. I melt a pile of solder on Altoids first. Pre-solder it's mate.

I try to heat quickly w/ iron tip in puddle of solder.

Nice. Just try and make sure that the solder bonds to both parts, and most importantly that the parts do not shift while it's cooling, otherwise you will end up with a "cold solder" joint... poor conductivity. Final connection should be almost mirror like (discounting flux puddles). If it looks grainy or crystalline, its most likely a cold joint.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I need to get on better terms with my local Radio Shack and Batteries Plus+ shops. And Zoid, that pre-made kit might not be a bad Idea just to get my feet wet.

One thing I've been wondering about (and please tell me if I'm getting in over my head at this point ) is I have several 3.7v batts as most of us probably do, and I also have a regulated 5v device. I don't have a vv, so it would be nice to have a mod thats in-between, say for example 4.2v. Is the device voltage in these home-made mods set solely by the battery used? And if so is there any point as you move up in voltage that you need to take more precautions (i.e. protection circuits or something like that- remember I'm a noob lol) Thanks again for the great info guys.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I need to get on better terms with my local Radio Shack and Batteries Plus+ shops. And Zoid, that pre-made kit might not be a bad Idea just to get my feet wet.

One thing I've been wondering about (and please tell me if I'm getting in over my head at this point ) is I have several 3.7v batts as most of us probably do, and I also have a regulated 5v device. I don't have a vv, so it would be nice to have a mod thats in-between, say for example 4.2v. Is the device voltage in these home-made mods set solely by the battery used? And if so is there any point as you move up in voltage that you need to take more precautions (i.e. protection circuits or something like that- remember I'm a noob lol) Thanks again for the great info guys.

I recommend a fuse w/ any mod. A collapsing battery spring is my favorite fuse but not sure where to buy.

If you want 4.2 volts you can make a VVPV regulator mod and use a fixed resistor in place of potentiometer.

Total batt voltage must exceed output voltage by a specified amount.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I used Madvapes 10506 5 amp regulator kit to make VV Altoids mod.
I used a 10 amp fuse because I didn't have a 5 amp.
I used MV 10117 300g switch which is kinda hard to press but good for pocket.
They have a 100g switch FWIR.
18350 batts.
Performance is excellent and Altoids tin makes an excellent heat sink.

Attachments

• 0 Altoids VV (8).jpg
    0 Altoids VV (8).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 0 Altoids VV (4).jpg
    0 Altoids VV (4).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 0 Altoids VV (2).jpg
    0 Altoids VV (2).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 30

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I used Madvapes 10506 5 amp regulator kit to make VV Altoids mod.
I used a 10 amp fuse because I didn't have a 5 amp.
I used MV 10117 300g switch which is kinda hard to press but good for pocket.
They have a 100g switch FWIR.
18350 batts.
Performance is excellent and Altoids tin makes an excellent heat sink.

Sweet looking mod. Ralph might have started something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread