Atomizer / Cartomizer for life....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
The silica fiber is this stuff, used to repair wood stove gaskets I believe... I wouldn't use fiberglass or the stuff that is in fiber optic cable.... (But that's just me!)

I think that fiberglass, fiber optic cable and silica are the same material, glass. Here High Temperature Insulation- Silica Rope they say:

"Silica cord is a special fiberglass ropes which contains more than 96% silicon dioxide, loss on Ignition <10%."

Maybe something that needs to be taken into account.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
HaHaHAHA you ....addict!
KY, I'm using 36ga Nichrome and to be honest I'd be lying if I told you what needle size. It doesn't really matter as long as the nichrome is held firmly in there with the threading needle tip. My needles are approximately 0.8mm in diameter I guess. Will measure in the am and let you know. About the silica, try it and let me know how it works please. I have to say that I find it hard to believe that anything can work better than my rig - even new attys doesn't get close... But if the silica works ill be first in line at the post office waiting for my parcel! :)

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
Would someone be willing to 'consider' creating one of these for me that I could purchase? Even with these excellent step-by-step instructions there's still absolutely no way I could do this.....

Y'know... considering my fading eyesight, I might be willing to pay for that as well. Working with really small stuff is NOT one of my strong points.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I think that fiberglass, fiber optic cable and silica are the same material, glass. Here High Temperature Insulation- Silica Rope they say:

"Silica cord is a special fiberglass ropes which contains more than 96% silicon dioxide, loss on Ignition <10%."

Maybe something that needs to be taken into account.
It does get confusing as even asbestos is silica based. There are lots of of rock-forming silicate minerals.
any of numerous insoluble often complex metal salts that contain silicon and oxygen in the anion, constitute the largest class of minerals, and are used in building materials (as cement, bricks, and glass)

The key though here is '96% silicon dioxide'. Most fiberglass is an E-Glass product made of alumino-borosilicate glass (what ever the hell that is).

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
HaHaHAHA you ....addict!
KY, I'm using 36ga Nichrome and to be honest I'd be lying if I told you what needle size. It doesn't really matter as long as the nichrome is held firmly in there with the threading needle tip. My needles are approximately 0.8mm in diameter I guess. Will measure in the am and let you know. About the silica, try it and let me know how it works please. I have to say that I find it hard to believe that anything can work better than my rig - even new attys doesn't get close... But if the silica works ill be first in line at the post office waiting for my parcel! :)

That helps - thanks. People have used fiberglass for wicks and said it creates a terrible taste. Since yours is in a sleeve, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I suspect silica will perform about the same as fiberglass if it's sleeved. I think I'll try silica with and without a sleeve to see if it makes a difference.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I'm surprised no one has jumped in with the brass/copper + e-liquid potential problem.

1111.jpg

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/97828-brass-juice.html

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
I have to agree WB, not sure what "they" say about brass, Cu and e-juice. All I know is the less metal comes in contact with the PG the better it tastes and holds it's flavour. I try and coat all internal metal parts with a thin layer of "glass" epoxy. The needles are off course highest grade stainless - considering it is usually used intravenously.... usually. Oxidised Cu will off course turn most things green - even pool water or blonde hair in pools with salt chlorinators. We also drink water from copper pipes.

extolrox

Jan 26, 2010
Reno NV
And here I was going to break light bulbs to get the wire out of them. A guy from the factory told me that thats what they use light bulb wire hmmm anyways I am new to this stuff and like the idea of doing RCA connectors always able to find a bunch of those too ad my brother in law stole my soldering iron got a 901 atty I would love to bring back to life.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
It does get confusing as even asbestos is silica based. There are lots of of rock-forming silicate minerals.

The key though here is '96% silicon dioxide'. Most fiberglass is an E-Glass product made of alumino-borosilicate glass (what ever the hell that is).

Well from MSDS from McAllister Mills. Fiberglass Textiles

Potential Health Effects:
Acute Inhalation: Mechanical irritation of the mouth, nose and throat
Mechanical irritation of the mouth, nose and throat

Skin Contact: Exposure to this product may cause temporary irritation to the
skin. Itching and possible inflammation are a mechanical reaction to the fibers
and are not damaging in the way that chemical irritants may be.

Eye Contact: Dust from this product may cause temporary mechanical irritation
to the eyes.

Ingestion: Ingestion of this product is unlikely. However ingestion may produce
gastro-intestinal irritation and disturbances.

Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Chronic respiratory or skin
conditions will not improve and may worsen with exposure to this product.

Carcinogenicity: NTP-n/a IARC-yes* OSHA-n/a
*Categorized as not classifiable relative to human carcinogenicity
Ingredient: Fibrous Glass

IARC: Group 3, not classifiable as carcinogenic to humans

OSHA: Not listed
and Silica Rope

Potential Health Effects:
Acute Inhalation: Dust from this product may cause mechanical irritation
of nose, throat and respiratory tract.

Skin Contact: Exposure to this product may cause temporary irritation to
the skin. Itching and possible inflammation are a mechanical reaction to
the fibers and are not damaging in the way that chemical irritants may be.

Eye Contact: Dust from this product may cause temporary mechanical
irritation to the eyes.

Ingestion: Ingestion of this product is unlikely. However ingestion may
produce gastro-intestinal irritation and disturbances.

Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Chronic respiratory or
skin conditions will not improve and may worsen with exposure to this
product.

Carcinogenicity: NTP-n/a IARC-n/a OSHA-n/a
Ingredient: Amorphous Silica
IARC: Group 3, not classifiable as carcinogenic to humans
OSHA: Not listed
Now I know that this is what is used in e-cigs and they both seem harmless enough. I'm just saying that if you have a problem with the fiberglass you may find that the silica rope may be something you may choose not to use for the same reasons.

For example if you believe that inhaling fiberglass can lead to cancer then the dust from the silica rope may act in the same way since it also seems to cause that mechanical irritation cited in both MSDS's. I have read that this is the reason that fiberglass "is belived" to cause cancer.

In the end it's a personal choice.

Also brass may contain lead which makes for easier machining. I'd stick to stainless steel.

Last edited:

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
What gauge/size syringe needles are you using? They're gonna think I'm a ...... addict when I try to buy them... :)

ok KY, I said I would get back to you. Here is what I used:

Syringe needle: I used a 21 gauge needle: OD = 0.81mm and ID 0.495mm
Nichrome: 36awg or 0.127mm diameter.

That means you have to use a threading needle of approximately OD = 0.40mm or so to make the tip firmly hold the Nichrome in position.

I just bought same size syringe needles and looked for threading needles that would snugly fit into them.... So far (about a 45 days with "3 beta testers") none of these push in connections have lost contact.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
That helps - thanks. People have used fiberglass for wicks and said it creates a terrible taste. Since yours is in a sleeve, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I suspect silica will perform about the same as fiberglass if it's sleeved. I think I'll try silica with and without a sleeve to see if it makes a difference.

KY and Bubo, I have experimented a bit with the fibreglass strands, silica strands and even cotton strands - all in the sleeve. At present I have to say I prefer using NO strands - just the silicon wire sheath. You are right, the fibreglass and silica both seem to give off a taste. Funny thing is that this sleeve I'm using doesn't, and I am quite sure it is also made of fibreglass.... And it absorbs the e-liquid very nicely.

I just wish I could get someone to make a porous silica wick - am quite sure that would solve all wicking problems - for good.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Here's an idea I played around with a bit but it fell by the way side. The idea came from this type of water filter. Basically it's clay mixed with flour or some other type of combustible material that burns off when the clay is fired leaving a porous clay. By using different amounts and sized flours you get different types of porous clay.

I had no way of firing the clay (ended up just burning it) and worst of all I had no e-liquid to at least test how good it wicked but with plain water it would creep up about half an inch almost instantly.

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
ok KY, I said I would get back to you. Here is what I used:

Syringe needle: I used a 21 gauge needle: OD = 0.81mm and ID 0.495mm
Nichrome: 36awg or 0.127mm diameter.

That means you have to use a threading needle of approximately OD = 0.40mm or so to make the tip firmly hold the Nichrome in position.

I just bought same size syringe needles and looked for threading needles that would snugly fit into them.... So far (about a 45 days with "3 beta testers") none of these push in connections have lost contact.

Thanks. I found some brass tubing in my garage about this size. I bought a variety pack of sewing needles today and found a size that sticks nicely in the tubing (with nichrome inserted). I'm on my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread