Atomizer / Cartomizer for life....

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Thanks. I found some brass tubing in my garage about this size. I bought a variety pack of sewing needles today and found a size that sticks nicely in the tubing (with nichrome inserted). I'm on my way...

Great news!

Keep us updated on the progress please.

Would be nice to see a pic or two when you are done!

Good luck KYFlyer67, you won't look back - I promise.

Pic6.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Last edited:

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
So KY, how's it goin there?

I've disassembled a dead 510 and cleaned the battery connector and shell. I've cut the center tube and the short syringe (the syringe is a small brass tube in my case). I soldered the short syringe to the center tube. I just finished partially gluing the center tube/syringe into the battery connector. Now I'm waiting for glue to dry and will proceed in a few minutes. I can almost taste the vapor...

Oh, and of course I'm taking pics as I go.

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
I wonder if the braided tube, as opposed to strands has better wicking?

So l3oertjie, where can I find braided tubes like you're using? I've searched but not found. And by the way, how do you pronounce that name of yours??

Ya know, it occurred to me, since this design puts the nichrome coil right at the top, it could double as a good wind-proof cigarette lighter :) :) :) Of course if your light your cigarettes with a PV, you need mental treatment.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
I had to look it up... Educated guess: l3oertjie is really Boertjie from South Africa.... I'm guessing Afrikaans?
(My wife is Dutch so the "...jie" got me thinking.. :) - How'd I do?)

100% Bubo - not bad for an Englishman! To us Boers in South Africa all English speaking people are Englishmen.... hahaha, just kidding. (Even grew up on a farm)

Yes, my home language is Afrikaans but am completely bilingual off course.

KY, Boertjie is pronounced as: (ˈbʊətʃɪ) refer to this:
Dictionary.com
or just: 'boorki" the "oo" as in boomerang and you have to get the "r: right too - like the Scottish - with a nice roll.... hehehe

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
So l3oertjie, where can I find braided tubes like you're using? I've searched but not found. And by the way, how do you pronounce that name of yours??

Ya know, it occurred to me, since this design puts the nichrome coil right at the top, it could double as a good wind-proof cigarette lighter :) :) :) Of course if your light your cigarettes with a PV, you need mental treatment.

Mental treatment - for sure.....

I got the fibreglass sleeves from silicon wiring used on heater elements in the air-conditioning industry.

Basically if you search for a supplier of "silicon wiring" in your area they should be able to help - just make sure the sleeve is not silicon rubber coated as well.
Also found this link - looks quite interesting: Davlyn Manufacturing Co., Inc. - Knitted Fiberglass Rope

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Thanks l3oertjie. I was able to connect a nichrome wire with the sewing needles and make it glow with an eGo battery - I think that's a good sign. I just need to drill out the little air holes, cut the plug needles and do a little insulating and she's done. But it's back to work for me for now...

WE WANT PICS! WE WANT PICS! Show us your baby!

Just watch out KY, I found that a glowing nichrome element actually burns the liquid (and wick) and causes a foul taste before long. It also reduces the life of the wick. If the temperature on the Nichrome element is made to be just below glowing temperature it works like bomb - a smoke bomb!

I have yet to find a new "out of the box" atty that can perform like this thing....

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... Just watch out KY, I found that a glowing nichrome element actually burns the liquid (and wick) and causes a foul taste before long. It also reduces the life of the wick. If the temperature on the Nichrome element is made to be just below glowing temperature it works like bomb....
So how do you avoid the red glow? I often do a 'dry burn' on aging, gunked up atties to squeeze a little more life out of them or get rid rid of off flavors. Basically running the atty (no liquid) till the coil glows red from end to end.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
With this atty no need to dry burn.... All you do is remove the outer sleeve, expose the coil and brush with small brush under running warm water. Eezy peezy! They clean real easy. I wash mine every second day. Haven't had one coil or wick break yet. 3 months of heavy use. This is one of the benefits I never highlighted. Apologies.
The carbon from liquid burn is brushed off quite easily.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
So how do you avoid the red glow? I often do a 'dry burn' on aging, gunked up atties to squeeze a little more life out of them or get rid rid of off flavors. Basically running the atty (no liquid) till the coil glows red from end to end.
Avoid glowing coil by increasing the length of the nichrome wire - make one more turn around the wick.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
I understand that, the whole idea is to have consistent 'like new performance', with easy cleaning and coil replacement costing just pennies.

It's the 'red glow is bad' that I don't understand, and what you do to avoid it. If I build a 2Ω coil and it glows, it's no good?

I found that it is real difficult to make the coil glow red if the wick is properly saturated with juice. However, if the resistance is too low it tends to burn the wick and eventually destroys it. I have experimented a bit and found a 2ohm coil with wet wick works great. Good taste, great TH and the wick lasts. Just be careful not to overtighten the coiling. This seems to prevent easy juice flow to the heat source

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Well I got my nichrome on the way. So I'll soon be able to do some real world testing.
Avoid glowing coil by increasing the length of the nichrome wire - make one more turn around the wick.
But are you saying that I can't choose the heat/watts/ohms I want, as increasing the length obviously changes the ohms and the 'hit'? If I make a 2.5Ω coil that works, but I want more 'punch' (throat hit) what's the alternative? And if the same 2.5Ω coil doesn't glow on a 3.7V battery and now does on a 4.2V PT I can expect diminished performance?

Note not being argumentative, just sorting some thoughts. I really like your system ( theoretically for now).

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Well I got my nichrome on the way. So I'll soon be able to do some real world testing.

But are you saying that I can't choose the heat/watts/ohms I want, as increasing the length obviously changes the ohms and the 'hit'? If I make a 2.5Ω coil that works, but I want more 'punch' (throat hit) what's the alternative? And if the same 2.5Ω coil doesn't glow on a 3.7V battery and now does on a 4.2V PT I can expect diminished performance?

Note not being argumentative, just sorting some thoughts. I really like your system ( theoretically for now).

Being argumentative can only add value! Willy, you can play with the ohms/Watts to your hearts desire. It is so easy to change the coil to find what works best for you and delivers the punch. I think the extra 0.5V would make a significant difference in heat output aka Watts. All you need to ensure is that the coils is always properly wetted with juice. Should make for areal good vaping experience!

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
OK folks, I've completed a "Cartomizer for Life". Wow. It performs as advertised! Great vapor production and TH; easy coil change out; lasts a long time between e-liquid refills. This was my first try and I didn't build it nearly as cleanly as l3oertjie. Still, it performs like a champ! My build was slightly different than l3oertjie's: I used tiny brass tubes instead of syringes; I used silica strands (because that's what I have) instead of braided tubes - I plan to try braided tubes as soon as I can find some; I didn't coat the parts in epoxy & thread, mostly because I was in a hurry to get the prototype completed; I did use some high-temp tape to keep the tubes from shorting together; I drilled 2 holes instead of 4 - draw is easy so I don't think I need the other 2; I attached a blank cartridge with no filler of course - I cut it slightly so the plastic didn't get too close to the nichrome coil.

I will probably use these DIY cartomizers exclusively in favor of stock 510's as soon as I get a couple more built - they're that good!

Here's a description of the pics:

pic1 - Brass center tube soldered to tiny nichrome holder tube.
pic2 - Backside of 510 atomizer connector after center tube has been epoxied in.
pic3 - Connector with all 3 tubes glued and soldered in. As you can see, the work is a bit hurried and sloppy. Hopefully I'll do better on the 2nd build.
pic4 - Top view looking down the barrels of all 3 tubes.
pic5 - I used a tiny drill bit to wrap the nichrome around silica strands.

I have 2 more pics but the limit per post is 5. I'll put the next 2 in my next post.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 516
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 512
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 562
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg