Status
Not open for further replies.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
I'm not sure if most posters here are enthusiasts... I myself at least do care a great deal about how long this stuff lasts. I would rather have one boring pen style that just works consistently for a good long time than buy a new toy every month. The only reason I'd buy a new e-cig, aside from my old one breaking, would be if I learned of a new one that vaped better and more consistently.

you are in a minority.. and having been around this forum (and many others) for a long time i am sure..

mind u the enthusiast phase is pretty normal.. for most it lasts for xxxx time then the real life just wanting something that works phase sets in..

the forum addiction is connected to the enthusiast phase.. when one wears off so does the other.. which is why forums are dominated by "enthusiasts" its in the nature of things..

i am a part time "enthusiast".. i kinda move from one thing to the other..

over the last ten years my "enthusiasms" have included.. PC gaming.. forum software.. power boats.. digital photography.. 4 x 4 trucks.. sat-nav stuff.. PC hardware.. e cigs... plus a few others

i am never active in more than one "enthusiasm" at any one time.. the common denominator seems to be forums..

enter trog100 into google and many thousands of entries appear 99 % of them forum activity.. a ten year f-cking history of what i have been into.. kinda frightening..

if i have one permanent addiction on top of nicotine.. its bloody forums.. he he

i recon i know about them by now..

trog

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
I've got a long-standing forum addiction myself and my opinion is that the people who post the most in forums (meaning the names you tend to see the most) are the enthusiasts. It may look like most people are enthusiasts because those people are posting 20 times as much as everyone else.

There are also plenty of regular joe and jane shmoes who come to ask the advice of the enthusiasts. You don't see them as much cause they just come when they have questions, rather than to talk about the topic for the fun of it.

On top of that, this forum is especially likely to have more than its share of the regular people, since info on e-cigs is scarce, so pretty much the only way to find the answers to questions about them is right here. And that's even simple questions that any regular person would have, like how good are e-cigs and where should I buy them -- answers that would be common knowledge and readily available elsewhere for most other topics.

Last edited:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
And that's even simple questions that any regular person would have, like how good are e-cigs and where should I buy them -- answers that would be common knowledge and readily available elsewhere for most other topics.

a few years ago a customer went to his local shop.. ask the relatively knowledgeable shopkeeper what would be the best xxxxx for him.. the guy from his limited stock said i recon this xxxxx would do for u.. the customer trusted the local shopkeeper and went away happy..

now we have a world of internet choice.. a whole range of much of a muchness products.. and no one knows what to buy...

a simple question like what is the best e cig for me will get ten different answers.. the asker will learn very little..

because for every piece of good information posted in any forum there is nine pieces of mis-information.. the result is a modern day tower of babel.. every voice drowns out every other voice..

e cigs aint that complicated.. most of whats needed to know has been said a thousand times over.. mostly it just disappears off the front page driven out of sight by loads of mindless babel..

the odd thing gets a sticky.. but the forum owner really wants the babel.. it generates traffic..

some people use forums as a source of valid information.. most just use them as a pass time.. somewhere to chat and read..

how to make friends and influence people.. he he he

trog

Last edited:

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
You still haven't told us your basis for saying the insulators can't take boiling water.

Boiling because of "Yes, we can!"? :D I fear You will be betrayed :rolleyes:

I don't know the water supply quality in the U.S. but if it's not distilled, dirt particles from it will fill up the metal swam atomizer feed surely. I've stated this already in other "boiling" threads. Every housewife knows that. Get a cheap handy steam cleaner from ebay and ethanol and you're fine.

Last edited:

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
That's good to know, if it's true, but I asked about this:

Great :rolleyes: . And melt the heater cables isolation which can only take 70°C not 100°C of boiling water...

And regarding clogging, I think requiring distilled water is going a bit overboard, since the point of this is to clean atomizers that have already been clogged up with the thick gunk of boiling e-liquid. (one week's use: some atomizer pictures.. close up.. - ECigScrewdriver). Do you recommend against subjecting atomizers to e-liquid as well? What do you do, steam yours on? E-liquid is far from "distilled", after all.

That's disregarding all the people who say they boil their atomizers regularly and have only noted that it prolongs the atomizers' life spans.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Ugh. gotta love annoying people who just post fact-free crap and then can't leave it alone.

"Masters of Electronic Science with >25 years of professionell experience" says "Please read about thermodynamics basics" Uhhh, like conduction? What is the thermal conductivity (k) of copper, Dr Expert( about 4W/cm) ? How about nichrome, about 0.13W/cm? Do you still need help? General Conduction Theory in Heat Transfer
Please go ahead and do the math, let us know how hot those copper "heater" supply wires are, right at the junction, after a 20 second CLEAN cycle. or after 10 5 second puffs, ok?

IE
The "heater" (atomizer coil) wires are connected DIRECTLY to the atomizer wire. Which heats up to several hundred degrees. Heat conducts VERY well down a copper wire. To say the insulation will melt off at 70 deg is stupid. It might get softer, sure. Melt off and short out? lol.

A dozen people boil their atomizers regularly, and they still work fine.
Quantitative vs Qualitative, Dr Dolittle. Go read about that. That's also why you have to do your own math, I don't need to.

By the way, bees can fly.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
I searched Google for methods of cleaning room humidifiers, cause I think e-cigs pretty much work the same way, and found people recommending white vinegar. I think Frankie recommended boiling in vinegar. Only with the humidifiers, no one mentioned boiling, just vigorous shaking.

I think the whole boiling thing might work slightly only because the water or whatever other liquid you're using gets agitated by the bubbles. The heat may help as well, but I think agitation is key here, along with vinegar.

My M401 atomizer performance was falling off recently. I wanted to just drop it in a bottle with some vinegar and shake, but the M401 atomizer has vital parts exposed and I didn't want it knocking against the sides of the bottle during vigorous shaking, lest it get damaged.

I concocted a little contraption you can see in the attached photos. It's a slightly modified bottle cap. The M401 atomizer fits right in the top, I put my finger over it, then shake vigorously. The atomizer stays stationary while the vinegar swishes all around it. It seems to have worked nicely. With a flashlight I can see that all the black gunk is gone from the actual heating coil, and it's performing a lot better.

For a pen-style atomizer, nothing is exposed cause of the tube they're attached to, so when I need to clean that I may just drop it in a bottle and shake.

PS. I shake with plain water after all that, to rinse off any remaining vinegar before vaping.

Attachments

• bottlecap.jpg
    bottlecap.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 24
  • bottlecap2.jpg
    bottlecap2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread