Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
That makes me feel great.

I just tried to build a horizontal coil. I couldn't get it attached to the posts without wrecking it.
Well, I get the feeling that is pretty standard for most... to get it on the second or third try. Since you've tried 27+ times, I assume you have pretty good patience, but you may have poor manual dexterity. I mean absolutely no offense at all by this, but its really not very difficult to attach the coil legs without destroying the coil once you've watched a few videos of others doing it. You just carefully wrap the wire halfway around the screw, hold it in place with one hand and tighten down the screw with a small screwdriver with the other hand. Some folks just have shaky un-coordinated fingers which makes things like threading a needle very difficult. If this is not you, and you feel like you have just as steady hands as the next person, I suggest you watch a bunch of rebuilding tutorial videos, keep calm, go slow, and keep trying. Honestly, if the coil looks good, it should fire just fine.

Oh yeah, and skip the chimney coil. They are definitely more advanced and tricky to get working properly (including wicking). The kayfun is meant to be built horizontal.

Before you go back to smokes, have you tried something that doesn't require rebuilding like a carto tank or clearomizer?

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'm just wondering WHY you decided to jump on a Vertical coil before learning the Basics of coil building???????
Already suggested you STOP using RIP as your guide and save his stuff for later once you are comfortable.

Relax and Watch/listen/copy

Note: Tried one myself for a day - Decided Vertical coils were not to my liking.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'm just wondering WHY you decided to jump on a Vertical coil before learning the Basics of coil building???????
Already suggested you STOP using RIP as your guide and save his stuff for later once you are comfortable.
I just want to add that it doesn't have to be a microcoil either. A normal spaced coil will work just fine and may be easier.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Do you have a syringe needle fits inside the coil? It makes it a lot easier to have something inside the coil when you are attaching it and adjusting height.

I don't have the coordination or the third hand to hold the syringe or drill bit and tighten the screw

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
Your using the coil winding wire gizmo. Keep the coil on the mandrel while you tighten the leads. This of course only works in horizontal orientation. It will help maintain the coil's integrity while you tighten down the leads. Once tightened pull the coil up while still in the mandrel to rise it 1-2mm above the airhole.

Chiku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I understand about the horizontal could. But Even on the pro tanks, I was unable to get the wick threaded through the coil. I just could not do it. I do not know why. It just never worked.

Using cotton right? When I roll the end I make one end quite thin to thread it thru. If that didn't work, maybe try using a small piece of wire folded in half, push thru the coil, put the cotton in the loop and pull thru. Like a sewing needle threader.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
I have another coil built right now that fires fine and is at 1.4ohm. I have been trying to wick it for half an hour and can't get it. Silica or yarn doesn't matter. the ends won't stay on the shelf above the channels even after saturated with juice. I've probable wasted 2ml of juice just trying to wick this thing.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have another coil built right now that fires fine and is at 1.4ohm. I have been trying to wick it for half an hour and can't get it. Silica or yarn doesn't matter. the ends won't stay on the shelf above the channels even after saturated with juice. I've probable wasted 2ml of juice just trying to wick this thing.

Wicks to long?
They should be right at the back edge of the channels - I prefer cotton Ball - no twisted thread memory
Silica is a bit rigid - has to be tucked after the chimney is installed.

Are you using Peaches and Cream yarn? Seems to be the only trusted yarn around here.

Wetting to fit to deck - no more than 2-3 drops

superstardj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
Maggie Valley, NC
Ok with the cotton, after you push it through the coil fold both ends up to make a v, screw the cylinder part of the chimney on and over the two parts of cotton, at this point you will have the cotton sticking up over the chimney like || - leave about 1/4 inch and cut the excess off so you only have a little sticking up past the top of the cylinder, very gently push the two prices of cotton down towards each juice well. Don't stuff it just gently place it down with a screwdriver, screw the second chimney piece on, reassemble and fill. This is what I do and it wicks perfect each time. Remember with the cotton, less is more even though it would seem like a bunch would be better but having more makes the wicking slower or not work at all therefore making it burn.

superstardj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
Maggie Valley, NC
Looks like your using way too much wick sill IMO, just to compare when I use cotton it might be 2 inches long max, prob about 1.5 or so it should come out of the coil and go down and touch the juice well and maybe have an additional .2 inch no more or the wick whatever material you are using is going to absorb the juice too much and not get to the coil therefore burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread