Attempt # 26--My quest to build one working coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
Here's what I decided to go with:

My heart is breaking reading about your difficulties Elendil. I have several kayfun clones and it will be worth it when you finally get it going.

In the photo you provided, with the wick ends protruding upward like rabbit ears, I would recommend you trim the wicks between 1/4 and 3/8 inch above the top of the threaded tube ("atomizing chamber" I think they call it).

Hang in there. You are so close to success!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
For a standard horizontal microcoil, it's the correct way. :)

Other than the fact that it's not technically a "micro" coil.

Elendil, you may want to remove 1 or possibly 2 strands of that yarn. It probably fills the coil nicely when dry, but once it expands(as cotton does when it's wet) it will choke the coil and it will burn.

superstardj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
Maggie Valley, NC
If the silica / yarn isn't wicking I'm telling you to try cotton...my first few builds I used silica wick and also didn't get good results...I would have to pull really hard and fast for a few seconds before I fired it each time otherwise it would taste burnt...I agree to cut the wick down to 1/4 inch or so above the rim, sometimes I am able to cut it off about even when I use cotton and it wicks just fine...

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
red heart yarn from wal mart. No dyes.
I am seeing that this yarn may be acrylic. Are you certain it is 100% cotton? And if so, did you boil it?

It may be a better idea to try organic 100% cotton balls.

That last build you showed with the wick ends sticking up above the "can" should have worked, provided you gently tucked the ends in next to the coil mounting block and over the juice channels. At that point, all you have to do is saturate the wick you just tucked in, assemble the device, fill it, draw through the mouthpiece without firing until you hear it gurgle, then vape it.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Red Heart Super Saver Chunky Yarn :

Chunky weight version
Care:
Machine wash
Tumble dry
Do not bleach
Do not iron
Do not dry clean
Great as a gift
Material: 100 percent acrylic

Red Heart LusterSheen Yarn:

Feel of cotton and the wash performance of acrylic
Perfect for lighter weight garments and accessories
Care:
Machine wash warm on gentle cycle
Tumble
Dry low
Do not bleach
Do not iron
May be dry cleaned with any solvent except trichloethylene
Imported
Great as a gift
Material: 100 percent acrylic

I'm thinking your Gross Taste is Melting Plastic :ohmy:

gzin44

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Glasford,Il
Absolutely get rid of acrylic. If you think this is hard don't buy a Kraken it took me several attempts to get the mesh and coil right and I can do these types in a few minutes. It just takes practice. The last pick where your yarn is sticking out of the top there is definately too thick of a wick. Also if you vape hard you are sure to get burnt taste as the wick can't pull the juice fast enough when it is that thick. As wrong as it sounds you wick when dry has to be loose in the coil. I had this problem when I first started and didn't believe it until I tried smaller diameter wick. Also its worse when using cotton and feeding it through the coil if you make it too thick. The cotton starts to burn and it tastes horrible. You can tell if you used too much cotton because it will be black the first day around the coil. Good luck and do not go back to smoking cancer sticks.

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
Elendil,

I would definitely try CVS organic cotton balls at this point.

Some tips that may be helpful:
Wash your hands well before you start. Unroll the cotton ball into a strip, it should be about 1.25-1.5 inches wide. Divide the strip in half lengthwise, then divide each half-strip in two again... you will have four quarter-strips. Place one of these quarter strips between your palms and gently start rolling them into cylinders... they will look like long white worms. Sized like this, these wicks this should work well with 5/64 or 3/32 contact coils. If they are too fat to work with your coils, then strip some fibers off of the worms, re-roll them between your palms and try again.

superstardj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
Maggie Valley, NC
Any update? Did you get it going? I'm pulling for you I do think if you grab some organic cotton balls you will have better luck, just about a week ago my cousin got a kayfun 3.1 clone and I got a russian 91% and we both started with wick / silica with burnt results and then switched to cotton with no issues. I think you are so close, let us know - once you get it going once it's easy to duplicate and the flavor will blow you away :). I'll always keep my aero tank around but the russian will be my goto for everyday use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Got the one from last night wicked. Got 2 decent hits and then completely burnt taste again.

Have built 3 more coils all with the same result. I thought this was supposed to improve flavor. I am pretty much at the end of my rope. I'm chucking all this equipment in the trash. Obviously either it is defective or I am. Either way, analogs were never this frustrating.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Got the one from last night wicked. Got 2 decent hits and then completely burnt taste again.

Have built 3 more coils all with the same result. I thought this was supposed to improve flavor. I am pretty much at the end of my rope. I'm chucking all this equipment in the trash. Obviously either it is defective or I am. Either way, analogs were never this frustrating.

Did you confirm the yarn is cotton and not acrylic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread