Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Ok, good, glad we cleared up that confusion. I've barely worked with yarn, but I did look into it for a bit. Did you try my suggestion of taking out 1 or two strands? I think that one is made up of four strands, so pull out two and twist those as your wick, you want it pretty easy to pull through the coil.

Alternately, if you have any cotton balls laying around, try that. They really are easier to use.

Sent from my zombie defense stronghold using Tapatalk - now Free

Jonathan Rizo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Riverside, California, United States
Don't give up man, you're so close and we're all pulling for you hoping we help you just enough to get the flavor you're looking for. Try picking up a bag of organic cotton balls, cheap and easy to use. Don't just trash the stuff man, try until we all get it working for ya and if in the end you really are just done with it all (hoping it doesn't come to this for obvious reasons) just sell your stuff to someone. You'll get there man, hang in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OP, you dont know how many times i have sat here in my workroom, puffing away on a crummy gas-station disposable, trying to rebuild one of my atomizers, and failing. None of us arrived into this world as some kind of coil building genius. My socks wind up covered in bits of kanthal and mesh.

Just keep at it. It takes alot of patience. All of this hardware, esp the clones, comes equipped with alot of party quirks, and more often than not, ZERO instructions. That is why ECF is here.

FWIW, i bought a big spool of that very same yarn, Peaches n Creme. Tried it in my IgoL. Everything tasted 'watery'. Clean cotton balls do work pretty well in PT heads, and my IgoL.

Good Luck, Don't Give Up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xaviour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2014
South Haven Michigan
OP, you will get it. I was rebuilding pro tank heads and never seemed to get them right. I've now been working on an igo and found most of my problem was the cotton or yarn was to tight in the coil. It will expand in that coil and choke off the juice leading to burnt hits. Also I took the advice and got organic cotton balls from walgreens and boiled them. That yarn is probably bleached since it is so white and also may be contributing to a bad tasted if you didn't boil it. I think everyone says EURKA is the peaches and cream yarn that may not have dies or bleached. Just remember that juice has to flow.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Please tell me you got this by now.....once you get it down your gonna kisk yourself in the .... realising how easy this is....and the amount of kanthal that was wasted.

Don't have it yet. I'm up to build #42 with no success. I will never confuse any part of this with being easy. On the road today until 7pm. Don't be surprised if a pack of smokes is in the cards for today.

Jjshbetz11

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Ohio
Don't wanna tell ya you wasted your money but.....take in mind, I've never owned a kayfun styled device( tried a friends wasn't impressed, could of been build so don't beat me up) just buy a CHEAP dripper and go.from there! For the mean time, use whatever ya got, being protanks or analogs...then do what you have been doing and vape it period. It will tell you what you did wrong.... too many variables with tank types for a person first getting into it, point blank! A rda has a coil and a wick. Even if draw is tight or loose, AT BEGGINING, it will be an acceptable vape! Then once you get a basic build down, then you can fine tune your vape. Say ya get a cheapie 7$ drippet, then petfect your skills. The better drippers even clones takes that vape and multiplies it by four. I will pm you my number so you can get this happening. There is no reason you should have to go through this. You went to school of hard knocks or vape now its time to enjoy the vape rather than get frustrated

Jbmitchell

Jul 4, 2013
Texas
I wonder if there is anyone around you that can help you in person. I for one know how difficult it is to build my stuff. I always felt like I had to change my wicks too early but I will try to explain how I have built my hcigar kayfun with yarn.

What I did was wrap a 8-9 wrap of 30 gage Kanthal on a 1/16th drill bit
Once connected to the kayfun I inspect coil making sure that it's straight across like a "+" the middle of the "+" being the horizontal coil
Then I look to see if there is a good gap between the coil and the air hole about 2mm just hold it up to a light to see and that the legs aren't touching the blocks
Once that's done I grab a section of the yarn it's cheep so I waist I don't want to not have enough so about 4 inches of it
As you know the yarn is made with 4 stands that are braided together. Well I pull off one stand and use the other 3 as my wick.
On one end I will roll it between my thumb and index finger until it's nice and compact and pointy as to aid with treading through the coil
Once threaded through (I DO NOT double over) and half of my yarn section is on either side I would start looking to see how much wick I need
Damn this is hard for me to explain the wick would come down from the coil to the base then like a backwards L go to the left. Once I figured how much I needed after that I would trim the excess off and do it again to the other side.
Once it's trimmed mind you my wick NEVER would stay put so I drop a few(2-3) drops of ejuice per side. Just enough so that the wicks would be a little wet and would stay where I put them.
Then I screw on the base of the chimney watching to make sure the wicks didn't move much. They will and that's ok I would use something small like a needle to replace the wick.
Then once everything is in place and it looks good I will drop more juice on the wicks probably 2-3 on each side then test fire if everything looks good then screw on the top chimney and put it all back together.

Some times I would drop a could of drops after test fire and place top chimney on and vape like that as a test vape just once or twice
Hopefully this helps and remember why you are doing this. To get off and stay off of cigs. I know it's soo much easier to like a cig trust me there have been a few times I wanted to

airkaos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
somewhere
OP I have a Russian 91 and what I use is cotton. When am wicking I make sure the wick fills the coil but it is loose enough to move back and forwards without bunching up.
After that make sure the legs on the wick are pushed down, (not stuffed) and that they are over the little hole where the juice comes in to the atomizer chamber, like that I make sure that the juice hits the wick as soon as it comes in the chamber.
Hope that helps a little, we are all rooting for you.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Look back at post 16. I think you're still shorting your coils.

In the pictures of both your vertical and horizontal coils, you are running the lead from the negative post directly over the positive post. It doesn't take much of a nudge for it to short out, then you have one small piece of wire getting very hot.

In your vertical coil, run the lead from the negative post to the TOP of the coil, run the bottom side to the post that's connected to the same piece of metal the coil is sitting on; that way if it gets pushed down, you're only shorting out the short leg, not the whole coil.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
Cotton balls aren't an option. I work 12-14hrs per day. it takes me 30-60 min to wick a coil. I dont have the time for a daily wick change. Most say they get several days with yarn. I can really only rewick on weekends.

I use cotton and the wick I'm using in my IGO W has been there for a few days now. I'll change it out right now and time myself.

It took about 1 minute 45 seconds. You just take the old one out (not too difficult) pull a piece of cotton off of a cotton ball, roll up one end real small and stick it through the coil and pull it through the other side with a pair of tweasers. It's really easier to me than anything else I've used to wick with..

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Look back at post 16. I think you're still shorting your coils.

In the pictures of both your vertical and horizontal coils, you are running the lead from the negative post directly over the positive post. It doesn't take much of a nudge for it to short out, then you have one small piece of wire getting very hot.

In your vertical coil, run the lead from the negative post to the TOP of the coil, run the bottom side to the post that's connected to the same piece of metal the coil is sitting on; that way if it gets pushed down, you're only shorting out the short leg, not the whole coil.

Post 16 was 14 coils ago. I get the coils to fire but all I get is burnt taste and then i wreck the coil removing the wick

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
Post 16 was 14 coils ago. I get the coils to fire but all I get is burnt taste and then i wreck the coil removing the wick

Unless you're using silica and wrapping the wire directly on it, removing your wick shouldn't destroy the coil.. If it is then my guess is using too much wick, especially with cotton (yarn or balls) you want the wick to move freely with a very small amount of resistance from one side to the other in the coil when dry. If you use too much wick, the juice gets choked off at the edge of the coil and the wick burns in the middle where juice isn't getting to. Start with a small amount of wick, pull it back and forth, if it moves too easily pull that wick out and add some more (it shouldn't destroy your coil..)

I want you to get this right so bad. Right now I'm wishing I was somewhere near you I'd come try and help in person! I think we're all rooting for you man.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Unless you're using silica and wrapping the wire directly on it, removing your wick shouldn't destroy the coil.. If it is then my guess is using too much wick, especially with cotton (yarn or balls) you want the wick to move freely with a very small amount of resistance from one side to the other in the coil when dry. If you use too much wick, the juice gets choked off at the edge of the coil and the wick burns in the middle where juice isn't getting to. Start with a small amount of wick, pull it back and forth, if it moves too easily pull that wick out and add some more (it shouldn't destroy your coil..)

I want you to get this right so bad. Right now I'm wishing I was somewhere near you I'd come try and help in person! I think we're all rooting for you man.

The last 2 builds I have removed 2 of the 4 strands from the yarn and am still getting the burnt taste. If I look up 10 feet I can see the end of my rope. If I could reach it I would hang myself from it

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
The last 2 builds I have removed 2 of the 4 strands from the yarn and am still getting the burnt taste. If I look up 10 feet I can see the end of my rope. If I could reach it I would hang myself from it

have you tried moving it back and forth in the coil before juicing it up with only two strands? I don't know how small your coils are and haven't played with the cotton yarn yet so I really don't know how much of it would be needed.. But I do know that it should be able to slide from side to side before juicing it up with just a very little bit of resistance.. it will swell up when you put juice on it and fill the inside of the coil.

aage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
iceland
I would have flipped the coil over vertically ( i´m refering to the coil as shown at around 6:42 in the video) , that way , when you fasten the screws it will tighten and wrap the end of the coil around the screws when you fasten it. As shown when you fasten the screws the tails of the coil will try to escpape the screws and you have to hold it . I think its more easy the other way.

I'm just wondering WHY you decided to jump on a Vertical coil before learning the Basics of coil building???????
Already suggested you STOP using RIP as your guide and save his stuff for later once you are comfortable.

Relax and Watch/listen/copy

Note: Tried one myself for a day - Decided Vertical coils were not to my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread