ATTN San Diego members - A ban is in the works - SD County board meeting held on 11/5/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you may or may not be made aware, on 11/5/2013 San Diego County Board of Supervisors has prompted to have the Chief Administrative Officers to include e-cigarettes in the tobacco policy. I watched the meeting online and as expected, the two board members that instructed the CAOs to review the policy used the same horrible, misguided, and proven false rhetoric. (makes kids smoke, we don't know whats in them, its not a proven cessation device, it normalizes smoking, how can establishments tell if its a real or e cig, etc). It is imperative that you contact the CAOs and present them with the facts. Its a difficult fight that we have going against the anti-tobacco special interest groups (American Lung Association, etc) that are funded by the pharmaceutical companies that produce suicide inducing Chantix and the like. The COA home page that has a link to their email is County of San Diego: Chief Administrative Office

Below is a copy of the email that I sent them:

I am writing you today to speak in opposition to any further e-cigarette restrictions until at least the FDA releases their findings and proposals which are due to come out over the next few months. To date, several independent studies have been done showing that emissions from e-cigarettes pose no threat to public health. The original FDA study from 2009 is out dated and technology and the availability of e-cigarettes and their components have greatly increased. The FDA studied foreign manufactured items specifically from China that may have contained contaminants and as evidenced from the past, China has a history of quality control issues and countless recalls have occurred due to lead and other chemicals found in crayons and toys. Since 2009, US manufactured e-liquids have become the #1 source for the domestic e-cigarette market, and the manufactures of these liquids are transparent with their ingredient lists. The majority of e-liquids are made of: USP Grade Vegetable Glycerin, USP Grade Propylene Glycol, USP grade food flavorings. There has been a lot of confusion with the media misrepresenting propylene glycol as an anti-freeze ingredient. Ethylene glycol is what is used in anti-freeze. Propylene glycol has been approved by the FDA to be used in inhaled medications, it is also the main ingredient in artificial food flavorings. Propylene glycol is consumed by every American almost on a daily level. Its in candies, baked goods, sports drinks, sodas. If you have a bottle of liquid water enhancer such as Mio or Crystal light handy, read the ingredients. Vegetable glycerin is used to create the "vapor" feeling and or visual. Vegetable glycerin is a safe and harmless compound and is the main ingredient in theatrical fog machines that are used everywhere from Disneyland rides, concerts, theaters, and even in homes during Halloween. The optional ingredient nicotine, is not a carcinogen. It has similar effects on the body as caffeine. Yes, it can be addictive, but so is caffeine. Just think of starting your morning off with out a cup of coffee, do you get headaches, cranky/irritable? Both caffeine and nicotine in large doses are deadly. The stigma with nicotine is because its visualized with tobacco cigarettes and the over 4000 harmful chemicals they contain.

Another concern was that establishments would not be able to distinguish between someone smoking a tobacco cigarette or someone using an e-cigarette. As you and I now know (thanks to ending a 15 year addiction to tobacoo cigarettes), you can smell a lit cigarette from hundreds of feet away. If you are in a closed room with a tobacco cigarette their is no escaping the smell. E-cigarettes on the other hand produce little to no smell at all and while some that do emit an odor, its usually sweet or fruity. No where near as offensive as someone's perfume, cologne, body spray etc. Also, I have been to many restaurants and bars that have no vaping policies and I'm fine with that. As a business owner that is their choice.

E-cigarettes are already age restricted in California to 18 and up and the fear that children are going to start using ecigs and then real cigs is that ,just fear. The CDC study that said minor use is on the rise included parts of the country where their is no age restriction on the devices, it also noted that the overwhelming majority of minors that TRIED and ecig where already regular tobacco cigarette users. A new study by the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, in Oklahoma City polled 1300 college freshman that were tobacco cigarette smokers and only 1 stated their first "smoking" product was an e-cigarette. If you think that the flavors will entice children to use and e-cigarette, then why do you not target alcoholic beverages? Walk into any liquor or grocery store and you will usually find vodka available in cotton candy, strawberry, blueberry, just about every fruit out there and even "fruit loops children cereal" flavored vodka, wine coolers, and ciders. Alcohol can lead to a life long addiction and especially with experimenting children can lead to alcohol poisoning or even worse drunk driving and according to SADD, 72% of minors have used alcohol. MJ use was also much higher.

I have so much more to say, but I will respect your time. I implore you do solid research before making any further recommendations. I left out my personal testimony on how e-cigs have helped myself, family, and friends as I wanted to share the common misconceptions instead. I represent no special interest groups other than myself.

recommended studies:
Learn About Electronic Cigarettes

Last edited:
what exactly does 'to include e-cigarettes in the tobacco policy' translate to?
no vaping where smoking is prohibited, i.e. public places, government buildings, etc.?
just wondering
thanks!

Exactly. You will be treated and forced to vape in smoking sections. Prohibited in all indoor public areas, parks, etc.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
No one is forced to vape anywhere. One can choose not to. You didn't include how vaping does not look like smoking in your letter. It does. That is the single issue which can not be argued/educated away. A smoker sees someone vaping and they will light up. A non smoker sees someone vaping in a restaurant or shop and they will think it is smoking and inform a manager.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
It is California...didn't they try to ban black cars a while ago? The same state that will crush a car that's modified without CARB legal parts and produces less emissions than stock. I love the state, just don't know what they are thinking sometimes.

I'm 5 years away from moving back to Socal, I hope it's not going to be a place I hate by then.

Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread