Augvape Merlin Mini By Roxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Received mine this morning for Xmas. Just got a SS 1ohm 3mm coil in, 2mm airflow pin, 23W...vaping superb.

Flavour is on par with the kayfun mini v3, airflow is better and easier to fill, smaller in height. Looks great on the vapedroid.

I have never enjoyed the cheaper attys, they always seem to lack something. This thing is superb though. Very happy!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more, was truly blown away with the build quality and how clean it was out of the package. Still through it in the sonic cleaner though. The only place I can level any criticism toward is with the device I received one of the threads the hex screws go into on my dual coil build deck were completely stripped out. Tried multiple spare hex screws. It really blows and makes the dual coil deck basically unusable. I attribute this to an isolated incident though confined to my individual device as a result of a faulty device that slipped past QC. I have already contacted vapordna and they told me to just come back to their shop, since I purchased it there, and that if they couldn't remedy the issue they'd replace it for a new device. It's just annoying because I live over an hour away from their shop so it's basically an all day thing to go there and come back...well closer to 4 hours round trip after everything is said and done, but still. Hopefully the issues are resolved this time around and I won't have to drive all the way out there for a third time lol

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
I have this same problem, if I use less wick it floods a bit upon filling and creating the seal. but then I get a few good "toots" and the vape loses it's saturation.

If I use medium amount of cotton I get less or no flooding , and same issue.

If I use dense cotton no flooding on fill, and semi dry after a few hits.

It's not that I ever get a DRY hit from it. it's just not a saturated vape like I enjoy.

I'll try the dual coil deck, but I too was wanting a good single coil RTA
What wattages are both of you running your single coil decks at and what resistances do your builds come out to? I'm fairly certain the issue lies in your build and not the device, since I know for a fact from firsthand experience, that the single coil deck can provide tremendous vapor as well as flavor production without the restricting screw installed if the build and wicking are on point.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Definitely single coil. Nothing wrong with dual deck at all, as it's a great machined deck, but the single vapes just as well like you said. Plus, I've gone back to single coil with zero regrets. With Bellus and Boreas as the exception.
I used to love the flavor my bellus would consistently produce, but I just could never figure out how to get it to where it wouldn't leak all over the place fairly often, so my hand was forced and I was left with no choice, but to put her in the drawer of shame.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
2ebd2053493807afe3def9c7a16b991a.jpg

[emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]
Is that the new sigelei 223 plus or wtvr they ended up calling it? How do you like it? She's definitely a looker

Reactions: Heartsdelight

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
What wattages are both of you running your single coil decks at and what resistances do your builds come out to? I'm fairly certain the issue lies in your build and not the device, since I know for a fact from firsthand experience, that the single coil deck can provide tremendous vapor as well as flavor production without the restricting screw installed if the build and wicking are on point.

I've tried 3.0mm and 3.5mm, both with 24g and 26g ss316l. Various different number of wraps between 5 and like 9, with final resistances between like 0.4 and 0.8ohm.

Tried various wick lengths and thicknesses of wick.

Someone on reddit complained of a similar issue and mentioned he thought it was some kinda 'vacuum issue'. Maybe a dodgy o ring, so I tried swapping out all o rings.

Tried all of the above but never managed to work it out. Strange right?

O yea, tried all of the above mostly with cotton bacon v2. Could that be the prob? I have some Kendo on order and plan to give it a go with that.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I've tried 3.0mm and 3.5mm, both with 24g and 26g ss316l. Various different number of wraps between 5 and like 9, with final resistances between like 0.4 and 0.8ohm.

Tried various wick lengths and thicknesses of wick.

Someone on reddit complained of a similar issue and mentioned he thought it was some kinda 'vacuum issue'. Maybe a dodgy o ring, so I tried swapping out all o rings.

Tried all of the above but never managed to work it out. Strange right?

O yea, tried all of the above mostly with cotton bacon v2. Could that be the prob? I have some Kendo on order and plan to give it a go with that.
Did you try a 26/32g or 28*2/32g Clapton? That's what I threw in mine 5 or 6 wraps .88 ohms. Nice thick vapor, great flavor, but I use rayon.

Raizo III

Jan 14, 2017
I've solved my wicking 'issue'.

Since I got this tank, I've been trying to get it to vape in a specific manner - ie single coil, lots of vapour and ofcourse good flavour.

I started out with single a 3.0mm ID coil, and took out the airflow restrictor. The vapour it produced was just too lean for me.
So I thought maybe a bigger coil (3.5mm) would do the trick. This configuration works for the first few pulls on a freshly filled tank, then again the vapour production would just wither down. Found it to be pretty unsatisfying. I kept on having to open the top fill mid tank, watch it bubble away as the liquid would fully saturate the wick, close it up again then carry on vaping. Again for the next 2 or 3 hits, great vapour/flavour, then it'd whither away again [emoji35]

I figured that the issue was down to me not wicking the thing properly. So I tried everything I could think of or that I read about to improve the wicking. But the wick just wouldn't absorb enough juice for that sweet spot hit.

Today I conceded and thought I'd give the dual deck a try instead.

And now I conclude (from my experience) .. This tank in single coil mode is just not designed to chuck dense clouds with no air restriction. Ie for me, single coil mode is more matched to restricted airflow / MTL mode.

For unrestricted mode, it's got to be the dual coil deck. Kinda makes sense though, the dual coil deck provides for a significantly increased amount of wicking hole area (4 as opposed to 2)...

Now I'm loving it!

I guess it turns out that there isn't any issue with my tank, which for the past few days I though there was. Rather I was trying to get it to do something that it's not designed to do!

I haven't yet tried a single coil with the air restrictor - wondering how that would compare with my good ol serpent mini...

So, I'm still on the hunt for a single coil, cloud chucking, flavour machine. That'll have to wait a few weeks though - I've got an Obs engine on order...

I like the mage gta (single coil). Air pockets doesnt bother me, nor does it give me any dry hits as long as you wick it right. Flavor is on par w the merlin mini, which also depends on your build, but the airflow is way wayyyy smoother. Im using the merlin mini more tho for its aesthetics.

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
The dual coil deck certainly works, a bit too well! Lol. A couple of days with it and my 3mg juices = nic overload! 

After reading @Heartsdelight advice of trying a clapton coil in the single coil deck as a possible solution to my wicking issue, I thought what the heck, why not.

Now, when swapping out the dual coil deck for the single, I realised that when I previously swapped out all the black o rings (thinking the problem was a vacuum issue) there was one I had not changed - the one located on the bottom of the deck. I had overlooked this one because I had left the deck screwed in. So, I decided to change it. And hey presto!! Single coil clouds bro! 
No more anaemic hits after just a couple of hits. I'm now seeing good bubbles without having to open up the top fill. Ie it's wicking good now.

Seems like the problem actually was a vacuum issue. Something like a situation where rather than the tank's vacuum sucking in juice into the wicks, a leak (due to the bad o ring) would instead allow air to be sucked in??

Strange though cos the 'bad' o ring doesn't look bad at least to my naked eye. Maybe a tolerance issue with its size or something.

You can see in the pic below the culprit o ring along with me pointing to where it's located on the dual deck (same thing applies to the single coil deck):

IMG_20170120_193905.jpg

@pappasmurfsharem I suggest u try changing all ur o rings.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
The dual coil deck certainly works, a bit too well! Lol. A couple of days with it and my 3mg juices = nic overload! 

After reading @Heartsdelight advice of trying a clapton coil in the single coil deck as a possible solution to my wicking issue, I thought what the heck, why not.

Now, when swapping out the dual coil deck for the single, I realised that when I previously swapped out all the black o rings (thinking the problem was a vacuum issue) there was one I had not changed - the one located on the bottom of the deck. I had overlooked this one because I had left the deck screwed in. So, I decided to change it. And hey presto!! Single coil clouds bro! 
No more anaemic hits after just a couple of hits. I'm now seeing good bubbles without having to open up the top fill. Ie it's wicking good now.

Seems like the problem actually was a vacuum issue. Something like a situation where rather than the tank's vacuum sucking in juice into the wicks, a leak (due to the bad o ring) would instead allow air to be sucked in??

Strange though cos the 'bad' o ring doesn't look bad at least to my naked eye. Maybe a tolerance issue with its size or something.

You can see in the pic below the culprit o ring along with me pointing to where it's located on the dual deck (same thing applies to the single coil deck):

View attachment 629745

@pappasmurfsharem I suggest u try changing all ur o rings.
:thumbs: Glad everything's working like it should!

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
The Merlin Mini looks and sounds like an awesome rta but I don't know how I could get by with it holding only 2 ml of juice. Why don't they sell an extension and glass to make it 4 ml like Steamcrave. Because they don't include this I ordered a Supreme Lite and a Supreme Limited Edition instead.
They were going to, but for whatever reason, they sadly are not, at least that's what they told me. They are rolling out the Merlin 22 next.
Can't beat Steamcrave for quality that u can feel & tons of options!

budd77

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
They were going to, but for whatever reason, they sadly are not, at least that's what they told me. They are rolling out the Merlin 22 next.
Can't beat Steamcrave for quality that u can feel & tons of options!
After I made my first post I read that somewhere else. It's unfortunate because I really want a 24 mm rta not a 23 or 25. I think a 4 ml Merlin mini would be a way better rta than the new Merlin.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
1IsTNYg.jpg

First post I made in a while, and its kind of ironic being an augvape product that brought me back.

Just got in the gold plated merlin mini over the weekend, and I think it looks great. I just wish I could get it to vape as good as it looks.

The RTA with single coil deck just does not want to wick for me. Tried 3.0mm, and 3.5mm ID spaced SS316 coils, and various amounts and types of cotton. Seems to be a negative pressure issue after tightening down the top cap. As I'm tightening it down I can see the pressure pushing my wick up slightly, and it never bubbles after vaping. After a couple hits, with TC on, the vape will be anemic, and with TC off, result in dry, unsaturated vapor. If I loosen the top cap, it'll start to bubble and wick, but as soon as I tighten it back down, wicking stops.

I had another experienced vapor take a look at it today, and give wicking it a try, just to make sure I'm not crazy, and he found the same thing.

I really want to like this tank, because when the wicks are saturated, its great.

For fun, and troubleshooting purposes, I did exchange out all the o-rings, hoping that would solve it, but no luck.

The gold plated ones are pretty new iirc, and mine is high serial number, 37,000 something. Wondering if augvape somehow messed up their tolerances, I just got a bad one, or two experienced builders can't figure out what should be an easy to build tank.

Reactions: Eskie

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I can't help myself but laugh at people fussing over a 1mm difference in an atomizer. There's so many other options out there. Most companies just make different copies of each other.

There are people, like me, who are MTL vapers who enjoy a smaller tank since they don't burn through much juice.

One thing people miss is that with short atomizers you get a much closer experience in terms of flavour and temperature to a dripper. The longer the atomizer chimney, the cooler the vape and the less flavourful it comes out.

Reactions: MMW

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
1IsTNYg.jpg

First post I made in a while, and its kind of ironic being an augvape product that brought me back.

Just got in the gold plated merlin mini over the weekend, and I think it looks great. I just wish I could get it to vape as good as it looks.

The RTA with single coil deck just does not want to wick for me. Tried 3.0mm, and 3.5mm ID spaced SS316 coils, and various amounts and types of cotton. Seems to be a negative pressure issue after tightening down the top cap. As I'm tightening it down I can see the pressure pushing my wick up slightly, and it never bubbles after vaping. After a couple hits, with TC on, the vape will be anemic, and with TC off, result in dry, unsaturated vapor. If I loosen the top cap, it'll start to bubble and wick, but as soon as I tighten it back down, wicking stops.

I had another experienced vapor take a look at it today, and give wicking it a try, just to make sure I'm not crazy, and he found the same thing.

I really want to like this tank, because when the wicks are saturated, its great.

For fun, and troubleshooting purposes, I did exchange out all the o-rings, hoping that would solve it, but no luck.

The gold plated ones are pretty new iirc, and mine is high serial number, 37,000 something. Wondering if augvape somehow messed up their tolerances, I just got a bad one, or two experienced builders can't figure out what should be an easy to build tank.
Try reading @irisev post above, he had the same problem. I can't see in the pic but can you see your wick in two of the jf holes?

Houndstooth

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2016
Cape Ann, MA
1IsTNYg.jpg

As another baseline to test. Since I bought this tank (actually two as the GF is running one) I have followed this guy's single coil build style (except 2.5 Ni80). I close juice the juice ports. It pounds out huge hits and doesn't leak. So much so we went to a 50/50 juice recently to reduce the clouds. If problems persist I'd say its not the wicking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread