Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Try reading @irisev post above, he had the same problem. I can't see in the pic but can you see your wick in two of the jf holes?
Yeah, I saw @irisev post, and it gave me great hope, as it sounds like he was having the same issue, so I swapped the deck o-ring, no change, so then I swapped every o-ring on it, and still no change.

That pic was a bit zoomed out, was just for the pretty factor of the Atty. Here is a bit zoomed in on the tank, can kind of see the wick pushed about 1/2 up the juice channel in it.

lb4vEpr.jpg

As another baseline to test. Since I bought this tank (actually two as the GF is running one) I have followed this guy's single coil build style (except 2.5 Ni80). It pounds out huge hits and doesn't leak. So much so we went to a 50/50 juice recently to reduce the clouds. If problems persist I'd say its not the wicking.

Thanks. Yeah, I watched Daniel's review before I got the tank, and in my troubleshooting, built a 3.5mm spaced SS316 coil just like his, and mimicked wicking style, to emulate his exact build, that's the build I have in now.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
You might want to try rayon for the wick. Seems you tried everything else. I got my gold mini a few days a go, other then the finish, it looks identical to my silver one, and two black ones. Yeah, I've tried a few single coil RTA's, and the Merlin Mini is my favorite. It's not perfect, but it feeds my Wismec Notch coil fine with 80vg juice. I mostly use rayon these days, as I and many feel it feeds and wicks better, amongst other pluses. If there is too much cotton down there, it may just be blocking your juice. Worth trying! Good luck!

Reactions: Heartsdelight

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
You might want to try rayon for the wick. Seems you tried everything else. I got my gold mini a few days a go, other then the finish, it looks identical to my silver one, and two black ones. Yeah, I've tried a few single coil RTA's, and the Merlin Mini is my favorite. It's not perfect, but it feeds my Wismec Notch coil fine with 80vg juice. I mostly use rayon these days, as I and many feel it feeds and wicks better, amongst other pluses. If there is too much cotton down there, it may just be blocking your juice. Worth trying! Good luck!
I unfortunately do not have any rayon left. Never really cared for it, so I didn't buy the lifetime supply from Sally's. I'll try a lot less cotton, as my last wicking attept yesterday was an absurd amount of cotton just to try to pack the channel so full it wouldn't get pulled out of place by the negative pressure build up from closing the top cap. I'll also try to make a video to show you guys what I mean by negative pressure.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
I unfortunately do not have any rayon left. Never really cared for it, so I didn't buy the lifetime supply from Sally's. I'll try a lot less cotton, as my last wicking attept yesterday was an absurd amount of cotton just to try to pack the channel so full it wouldn't get pulled out of place by the negative pressure build up from closing the top cap. I'll also try to make a video to show you guys what I mean by negative pressure.
Dan! What's shakin' brother. Good to see you back.
Did your wick ports just happen to line up like that or did you turn the top counter-clockwise to see them? There's no real jfc.
Also, I know the negative pressure when you put on the topcap as you can see juice going to the ports.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Dan! What's shakin' brother. Good to see you back.
Did your wick ports just happen to line up like that or did you turn the top counter-clockwise to see them? There's no real jfc.
Also, I know the negative pressure when you put on the topcap as you can see juice going to the ports.
Hey, not much man, been saving some $$$ not browsing these vaping threads everyday, haha. This merlin mini is the first RTA I bought since my kayfun 5 last year. Good to see you're still around, how's it going?

The juice ports just happen to line up like that on the single coil deck in mine. Haven't tried the dual coil deck, but IIRC they didn't line up, it shipped with the dual coil in it. I noticed there isn't really jfc, or shut off, I guess I should say. Been using it with the tank fully secured down to the base.

Normally if I were having negative pressure issues I would just flip the atty as I'm tightening down the top cap, to burp it, and all is well, but that doesn't seem to be an option on this one. I even went so far as to fill it, flip it over, take off the base, and put it back on, and still no luck.

Going to try less cotton in the juice channels next, maybe taper my wick so only a portion goes down there, and the rest sits on top, I believe you mentioned that early in this thread.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Try snug in the coil, fluff up the ends & cut to the deck then gently tuck in the wick holes. I personally love rayon, one wick can go for 100ml of eliquid. Check out the rayon thread @JeremyR here at ECF. Yes there's a learning curve but so worth it. To eliminate the rayon taste with a new wick just drip & fire the coils a few times. & you're good to go. Don't give up.

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
@ThunderDan I feel your pain. I've been playing around a bit more with my tank swapping between single and dual coil decks. Since doing that and going back to single coil, the problem is back!! [emoji35] This time, trying yet another o ring didn't sort it. And yes I've tried every wicking technique I can think of inc tight loose, shorter, longer, tailed, all with generic organic, kgd and bacon v2. Also various VG juices.

My only conclusion is in agreement of what you said.. A tolerance issue. In my case, likely with the single coil deck.

Shame cos when it works, it works really well.

Either i will try buying another merlin mini, and try and nail down what the issue is with my existing tank by swapping around parts, or just give up and order an Obs engine nano when FT is back from their new years break.

PS got an Obs engine (dual coil) and it rocks!

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Woo! Still using the MT's? Lol!
Lol, naw, haven't used those in quite some time. Good recall though. Mainly just been vaping the kayfun 5 with that restricted lung hit type vape.

@ThunderDan I feel your pain. I've been playing around a bit more with my tank swapping between single and dual coil decks. Since doing that and going back to single coil, the problem is back!! [emoji35] This time, trying yet another o ring didn't sort it. And yes I've tried every wicking technique I can think of inc tight loose, shorter, longer, tailed, all with generic organic, kgd and bacon v2. Also various VG juices.

My only conclusion is in agreement of what you said.. A tolerance issue. In my case, likely with the single coil deck.

Shame cos when it works, it works really well.

Either i will try buying another merlin mini, and try and nail down what the issue is with my existing tank by swapping around parts, or just give up and order an Obs engine nano when FT is back from their new years break.

PS got an Obs engine (dual coil) and it rocks!

So far, for me at least, tapering the wick did help, still have the negative pressure build up that I am surprised more people aren't complaining about, unless its just a QC issue with ours.

I dunno, I'm tempted to contact the vendor and see if they will replace it for me, but I don't know how good vapordna support is, I'm guessing they would just tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Lol, naw, haven't used those in quite some time. Good recall though. Mainly just been vaping the kayfun 5 with that restricted lung hit type vape.

So far, for me at least, tapering the wick did help, still have the negative pressure build up that I am surprised more people aren't complaining about, unless its just a QC issue with ours.

I dunno, I'm tempted to contact the vendor and see if they will replace it for me, but I don't know how good vapordna support is, I'm guessing they would just tell me I'm doing it wrong.
Vapordna has great customer service. I had ordered 2 Merlin Mini's & the jfc wasn't lining up right on one of them & they sent me a return label & if u call them after u send they can check the tracking & send out a replacement before they receive the one you sent back.

Reactions: Houndstooth

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Vapordna has great customer service. I had ordered 2 Merlin Mini's & the jfc wasn't lining up right on one of them & they sent me a return label & if u call them after u send they can check the tracking & send out a replacement before they receive the one you sent back.
Cool, good to know. Maybe I'll contact them if the issue persists. I'll try the dual coil deck, if that's good, then maybe it's just something off with my single coil deck, and see how they want to pursue it.

Mandro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Tamworth UK
Cool, good to know. Maybe I'll contact them if the issue persists. I'll try the dual coil deck, if that's good, then maybe it's just something off with my single coil deck, and see how they want to pursue it.

I'm a MTL vaper and bought mine mainly for the single coil deck.
When I received it, I swapped the dual deck for the single deck and found that it didn't work as expected.
After investigating I found that the single deck wasn't screwing right down due to a slightly bent centre pin. This was causing the deck to screw in at an angle and not seat properly.
I gently straightened the pin and re assembled. The threads where a little tight at first and needed "working in".
It's now working flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread