Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
So Phil and Dimitris have both received their kayfun Prime tanks. Pictures etc on their Facebook pages. Both sound initially impressed. Dimitris says the middle setting on the Prime is around a standard kayfun Lite draw. And he can exactly copy his favourite setting from his Mini v3. Sounds really good. Comes with 6 different airflow settings I believe.
Cool! He also posted on his web page. Some photos too.

Taste Your Juice | Can I Taste Your Juice?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Become a popular reviewer.

Oh, that Phil. How silly of me. :yawn: Even I know Mr. Busardo-didn't notice the links.

I've got to check it out. Haven't been doing this long enough to know- any idea how long to market after SM sends out samples to reviewers? I can't imagine it'd be very long.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Oh, that Phil. How silly of me. :yawn: Even I know Mr. Busardo-didn't notice the links.

I've got to check it out. Haven't been doing this long enough to know- any idea how long to market after SM sends out samples to reviewers? I can't imagine it'd be very long.
Svoemesto was known for being a flirt. Teasers many weeks in advance. So not sure when they will release it. I believe the Prime was something devised a few years ago.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
A few years ago...that is a surprise. After all I've read about the 5, I thought they were renaming the Prime "Apology." As in, "Sorry MTL'ers, but you don't account for much in vape sales anymore, and we're expanding our market to capitalize with the 5 and 5s, but we're sorry we ignored you, so now here's something for our loyal base."

Anxious to see his review. The mini is great, but the pics of the wire capture on the deck, and exterior airflow adjust, in a smaller tank than the 5 make this look like a must-have for me.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
A few years ago...that is a surprise. After all I've read about the 5, I thought they were renaming the Prime "Apology." As in, "Sorry MTL'ers, but you don't account for much in vape sales anymore, and we're expanding our market to capitalize with the 5 and 5s, but we're sorry we ignored you, so now here's something for our loyal base."

Anxious to see his review. The mini is great, but the pics of the wire capture on the deck, and exterior airflow adjust, in a smaller tank than the 5 make this look like a must-have for me.
I'm an MTL all the way and the K5 works very well for that. But they had to be pressured to release that MTL kit to make it happen. The kit fixed everything for us tight air flow freaks.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I'm an MTL all the way and the K5 works very well for that. But they had to be pressured to release that MTL kit to make it happen. The kit fixed everything for us tight air flow freaks.

Yeah, that's what I hear. In fact, I was still thinking about getting it. But a lot of people weren't happy with it, I guess - even Phil said he felt - betrayed, I think? Still, it's just too big for me with the 5s and now Prime coming available - I switch flavors way too often to need that capacity. But it would be nice to have all that real estate on the deck on rebuild days.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Yeah, that's what I hear. In fact, I was still thinking about getting it. But a lot of people weren't happy with it, I guess - even Phil said he felt - betrayed, I think? Still, it's just too big for me with the 5s and now Prime coming available - I switch flavors way too often to need that capacity. But it would be nice to have all that real estate on the deck on rebuild days.
The K5 is an outstanding atty. I would disagree vehemently with anyone who says otherwise. It might not fit some people's profiles (like yours) but that's a different story. The K5 functions great. There were a small number who experienced leaks. Never could figure out why. You have to put shoulders on your wick but beyond that there was nothing hard about it. Great flavor and functionality. I happen to have a real small box mod and that is why I am interested in the Prime. So it will fit my profile better than the K5.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Then there are those who don't want to try new things. :)

Just asking as I am not willing atm to sit through an hour long review (won't do that til I have the cash to purchase) but from the sounds if it so far it's sounding like it's a tighter draw than the 5?

I like the open draw of the 5 as I'm more of a restricted lung person...

As you've sat through the reviews... Will this prime fit the more open draw personality types who like the wide open 5..

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just asking as I am not willing atm to sit through an hour long review (won't do that til I have the cash to purchase) but from the sounds if it so far it's sounding like it's a tighter draw than the 5?

I like the open draw of the 5 as I'm more of a restricted lung person...

As you've sat through the reviews... Will this prime fit the more open draw personality types who like the wide open 5..
No. The Prime will be a tight draw. Strictly MTL.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The K5 is an outstanding atty. I would disagree vehemently with anyone who says otherwise. It might not fit some people's profiles (like yours) but that's a different story. The K5 functions great. There were a small number who experienced leaks. Never could figure out why. You have to put shoulders on your wick but beyond that there was nothing hard about it. Great flavor and functionality. I happen to have a real small box mod and that is why I am interested in the Prime. So it will fit my profile better than the K5.

I never heard much complaining about quality (maybe there was some in this thread, but I haven't gone through all the pages). It seemed most of the noise was from people unhappy that it wasn't the Kayfun MTL (before the inserts) they'd come to expect. And didn't like having to purchase an MTL kit, given the cost of the tank.

But looking at the vape market, how can you blame a company for expanding its offerings to serve more vapers? SM makes a great product, and I hope they make enough money on everyone that they can continue to improve stuff for me.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I hope they make enough money on everyone that they can continue to improve stuff for me.

Yeah. I've been waiting for a very long time for a new and improved K4, but it doesn't look good. I love that open MTL draw that K4 offers (2.4 mm airhole) and the ~4 ml capacity, but hate the overall design. Looks like SM has abandoned that perfect (for me) airflow and is going wider and/or tighter. Nothing for us "in the middle" folks. I'm so sad. :(

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Yeah. I've been waiting for a very long time for a new and improved K4, but it doesn't look good. I love that open MTL draw that K4 offers (2.4 mm airhole) and the ~4 ml capacity, but hate the overall design. Looks like SM has abandoned that perfect (for me) airflow and is going wider and/or tighter. Nothing for us "in the middle" folks. I'm so sad. :(

Hmm- I never tried either tank, but I'd have thought that the K5, with all its settings and inserts, could've replicated (or come close) to one of their previous models, so that surprises me.

Makes me think: Since airflow is maybe the first criterion used to choose a tank (I'd never pick a wide open DTL, and cloud chasers won't choose a Nautilus 2), why isn't airflow measured, rated, and published for atty's? Everyone talks about the dia. of the chimney, but that isn't the only factor that determines the airflow. I mean, airflow isn't subjective- it is measurable. Attach a device, measure the resistance at each setting. Then, when an atty is released, they publish: "This device settings allow for airflow of (whatever the numbers would be) 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 lbs.", etc. Or "has a range of x to xx lbs." Seems the vape equip. manufacturers would welcome and promote a standard like this. I'd love it myself.

Just a thought. And the more I think about it, I'm sure it'll eventually come. As the industry and product development mature, standards will come. Might cut down on some posts in ecf, though - "how does the airflow compare..." And I guess a lot of equipment wouldn't be sold that otherwise would. A lot of hobbyist vapers probably have a graveyard of tanks that didn't have the right airflow for them.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hmm- I never tried either tank, but I'd have thought that the K5, with all its settings and inserts, could've replicated (or come close) to one of their previous models, so that surprises me.

Well, on paper, it doesn't really. Old Kayfuns (and most other older MTL tanks) had a standard <1.6-1.8 mm airhole. Then Kayfun introduced ~2.2 mm airflow hole on K4--that was my favorite. K5 jumped to ~3.2 mm--which was a huge change, IMO. The MTL inserts only go to up ~1.6 mm--too tight for me, unfortunately. So no, you can't replicate my ~2.2 mm sweet spot--you can only go very tight or very open. Why? I have no idea why there are no inserts in the 2-3mm range.

img_0819.jpg

Everyone talks about the dia. of the chimney, but that isn't the only factor that determines the airflow.

I don't look at the diameter of the chimney--that is less important to me. But I always look at the diameter of the airhole on the building deck--that is a determining factor for me. YMMV.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Well, on paper, it doesn't really. Old Kayfuns (and most other older MTL tanks) had a standard <1.6-1.8 mm airhole. Then Kayfun introduced ~2.2 mm airflow hole on K4--that was my favorite.

I don't look at the diameter of the chimney--that is less important to me. But I always look at the diameter of the airhole on the building deck--that is a determining factor for me. YMMV.

Oops- guess that's what I meant - the airhole (sorry, still a noob!:yawn:)

So what about the 5s? It says that it has settings for you:
upload_2017-9-16_9-50-36.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread