Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
For now I've gone back to my KM3 and KF4's as my daily drivers- using the KF5 for occasional low Nic flavour lung hits... What I would truly love was if the svoemesto 'solution' was a new positive post, with thicker walls for less airflow- it would be absolutely amazing if they somehow managed to squeeze an airflow adjustment screw into it- so you then had 'rough' airflow adjustment on the outside and 'fine' tuning in the usual kayfun way [emoji4]
Good Idea... For those that want a tighter draw.

But, The air flow ring has slots in it. Why not just make a smaller slotted one to reduce air flow?

Time will tell what their solution will be.

Jim

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well, suffice it to say, that this Kayfun and I are gonna have some words with each other.

Apparently my 1.1 ohm build, at 10 watts, is not going to work with this atomizer.

So I will, unfortunately, have to leave it in the box until I can get my hands on a Radius...cuz I need more power...and I refuse to carry a Provari tube in anything other than 18350 mode.
Which means a Procyon is off the table.

I'm guessing I'll need to build this at 1.0 ohm, with a thicker wire (currently using 28g), and like 15-20 watts.
Doing that on a P3 in 18350 mode would kill the battery too fast.
Now, the air.
I don't know if those who own one already have noticed, but there are little dots engraved on the base, when you lift the airflow ring. They indicate which setting you're on.
Unlike the advertisements, and manuals, setting number one is WAY airier than a KFL. I mean...I tried it side by side with a KF4, and it's even. On setting 1.
Don't even get me started on setting 4. Cuz it's like 95% as wide open as my Plume Veil v1.5 dripper...which is about as airy as taking a breath...through your mouth with nothing in the way.

So...for now, this $115 toy will collect dust, until my custom Radius comes home to roost.
What a shame.

Build deck is nice. A little weird to work with, compared to the previous generations. Felt like trying to do a familiar task with my non-dominant hand. I got it done, but it was clumsy, and a little strange feeling.
Tucking the wicks, with the now-permanent congestion ring (similar to KF4) was kinda weird. I kept wanting to take the congestion ring off...hahaha

Once assembled, the juice control worked a little better, because I definitely tightened the top cap down onto the glass (more than I was comfortable with). Juice flow was still very tight, and I made sure to swap out the rings, and lube the new ones.

On top of all this, the whole damn thing kept wanting to unscrew from my P3, whenever I tried to open the juice control.
This is because they used forward threading for everything...and I'm blaming all the cry babies who whined about the KF4's reverse threading.
Yeah maybe not everyone is mechanically inclined like I am. But damn. The KF4 had that ONE thing done correctly, and now they've gone back to the wrong threading, all because people were too (lazy, stupid, apathetic, willing to complain, unwilling to pay attention to the manual) :insert description of choice:

Sorry to come across negatively.
The Kayfun 5 is a well built, and thought out machine.
It is, however, built for higher power...whether they outright admit that or not. Too many people complained about the KF4 not being airy enough (which means higher powered builds don't work as well). So SM made damn sure this model would have enough airflow...and in my OPINION, they went overboard.

My only hope is that they'll release a plug for the air ring.
I feel like I could plug one side, with it set on slot #1, and it would resemble the KFL they say it should.

And could this thing be any taller? I'm sure it's partially an optical illusion...because it's as tall as my KF4 w/P3 base, with a Steam Tuners Nano chimney and SM short tank.
2fbb8c5c4d1faffa3f3c838f73d9a78d.jpg

So, overall, I can't make any REAL conclusions about it...besides the mechanical and engineering gripes I have with it.
I can't speak on performance.
I haven't "broken it in" yet, and to be fair, I used a new (to me) flavor that I've never vaped before.

I will report back on performance, once I've got a familiar flavor in the build.

I will report back on the juice I used tonight, once I have it in a tank I think it will perform better with. Cuz this juice should be amazing, based on the smell, and the drop I put on my tongue. Educated guess.
e40a1ba50f9afb3da8f19527206dcdeb.jpg

Whoops! Wrote a novel!
See ya in the morning!

Let's hear more talk about the theories on lubing with eliquid vs other things...it's a subject I've never seen discussed, as everyone has their own ideas on what to use. I prefer to use the juice I'm about to vape.
Thanks for the review man. I'm hoping their airflow restriction answer comes out soon. Sounds like it will be WAY too airy for me from the start. I'm confident in their solution though and confident I'll love the two that I got after that! :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
For now I've gone back to my KM3 and KF4's as my daily drivers- using the KF5 for occasional low Nic flavour lung hits... What I would truly love was if the Svoemesto 'solution' was a new positive post, with thicker walls for less airflow- it would be absolutely amazing if they somehow managed to squeeze an airflow adjustment screw into it- so you then had 'rough' airflow adjustment on the outside and 'fine' tuning in the usual kayfun way [emoji4]
^ ^ This. Also hoping for the revised smaller center post.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Good Idea... For those that want a tighter draw.

But, The air flow ring has slots in it. Why not just make a smaller slotted one to reduce air flow?

Time will tell what their solution will be.

Jim
Sorry I didn't reply multiple to all.. Haha. But on this if they restrict all at the ring down to MTL, we might have the whistle or "whoosh" back. Would like to see a grub screw in center post or smaller center post bore here.

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I prefer a tighter draw too so if this thing is as airy as everyone says then SM is gonna have to cough up their solution quickly. How things have changed. Forever, the biggest complaint about Kayfuns was that it was never airy enough. :)
The main reason why I can't vape my 6 Kayfun Lites no more :( Entire 2013 till early 2014 I was using only them.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The main reason why I can't vape my 6 Kayfun Lites no more :( Entire 2013 till early 2014 I was using only them.
Back when the KFLs were released there was really NO atty that had a large airflow. I mean, that was pretty much it then. There wasn't even cloud chasing then either.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Back when the KFLs were released there was really NO atty that had a large airflow. I mean, that was pretty much it then. There wasn't even cloud chasing then either.
True. And there was no need for it, until 2014 happened.

Bhoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2015
London
My experience with subohm tanks and kayfun v4, etc tells me that kayfun are not sub tanks. Sure you can put a sub build in but it's meant for 1ohm ish builds. The build and caper chamber condensation build up is evident to this. On the other side there are proper rta tanks build for builds lower than 0.5 ohms that are brilliant. Steam crave supreme+ RDTA , griffin, avocado 24mm and aspire clieto all within my current in use collection do a brilliant job at 0.25 to 0.35ohms. I think people should realise that your buying a tank for a specific user and sub users is not one of them. For now I am hoping that a bell cap for the v5 is not released as my battles with shinyitis are so one side in my losses that I feel like David Moyes and Van Gaal combined. My advice to friends at the moment is mtl tanks = look at the v5 to start with for rta if the price is okay. For sub tanks then look at the newer 24 and 25mm tanks. On the flip side...last night friend brought around his mason 40mm RDA (do the builds for him, taught him wicking so far) and managed to do a quad twisted quad coil setup and he complained it was not enough...added 2 more then complains the vape is too intense. Removed 2 coils, back down to 4 and then says why did I put 6 to start with. I think new vapers are easily the most strangleable people I mix with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Geaney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Boston
I've been sitting here typing code since 5 am. Not so bad alternating between a Magma dripper and a KFL+. Pleasure is where you find it. My favorite, to this point is the V3 Mini, but I still love the 4 and the Lite Plus. I vape different tanks depending on my mood, the juice, and how much/what I'm drinking. Looking forward to getting a 5.

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
From what I'm reading here, K5 air flow will be perfect for me. On my KF4's, I find the 4s kit just a smidge too open. Simply removing the the air flow grub screw on the standard tube did the trick for me.
I do understand the desire for wide open airflow. Certain high VG liquids just perform better at high wattages and direct lung hits. I'm just personally not a big fan of that style of vaping. If that's your thing, that's great.
MTL vaping for me, is very similar to how I smoked cigarettes. It keeps that sensation, which keeps me from smoking.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
About oring lub, I'm one that has never lubed an oring ever. Maybe on new rings, I put some juice on them, but that's it. I have never had any issues and have some tanks that are many years old with no problems. With every tank I have had, I probably replace the oring once per year and on some tanks I have never replaced the orings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
About oring lub, I'm one that has never lubed an oring ever. Maybe on new rings, I put some juice on them, but that's it. I have never had any issues and have some tanks that are many years old with no problems. With every tank I have had, I probably replace the oring once per year and on some tanks I have never replaced the orings.

There it is. I have never replaced an O-ring yet on anything. Even on the gears from 2012 which are still in use. Lubing, not only makes the ops easier - it gives it longevity as well.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
There it is. I have never replaced an O-ring yet on anything. Even on the gears from 2012 which are still in use. Lubing, not only makes the ops easier - it gives it longevity as well.
Very few I have replaced and am not even sure they had to, it's just that I had tons of orings, so I replaced a few. Still have 100 orings spare, so replacing a few makes me feel I'm not wasting them

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Very few I have replaced and am not even sure they had to, it's just that I had tons of orings, so I replaced a few. Still have 100 orings spare, so replacing a few makes me feel I'm not wasting them

Know what you mean. I'm about ready to start using my ko gen do for coasters. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread