Status
Not open for further replies.

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
Something tingled my spidey senses when I got the first K5 in the mail this week, and I just chocked it up to getting good vape mail.

When the second one showed up today, I got the same tingle...and then I realized what it was. See, my sister is visiting, and she still smokes. She'd left her pack of coffin nails on the table where I sat down to open the package. The box for the K5 is about the same size as a pack of Marlboro's in the US!

For some reason, opening the K5 makes my small mind want to look for a plastic strip to peel back and unwrap. Lol!

Bricca

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2015
Massachusetts
It just showed up a little bit ago! Hope yours shakes loose soon!
Thanks!! As soon as it clears the Jamaica NY center, usps usually will post a date for delivery. Hopefully by next Thursday/Friday.
I have one from from Origin and its a stellar tank! Even with the rather pedestrian kanthal builds I've tried so far, 1.1-1.4ohms, the flavor has been outstanding! At times it seems a little harsher than the previous Kayfun versions but I think that may have as much to do with wicking/juice flow control than anything else. Last attempt, less lengthy wick tails, seems to be working well.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Something tingled my spidey senses when I got the first K5 in the mail this week, and I just chocked it up to getting good vape mail.

When the second one showed up today, I got the same tingle...and then I realized what it was. See, my sister is visiting, and she still smokes. She'd left her pack of coffin nails on the table where I sat down to open the package. The box for the K5 is about the same size as a pack of Marlboro's in the US!

For some reason, opening the K5 makes my small mind want to look for a plastic strip to peel back and unwrap. Lol!
That was part of the habit too. Along with snapping out that foil piece that sat on tip of the filters. :)

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
*should've

Combination of "should" and "have"

It's never "should of"

[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]
#BeingARascal
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Thank you! The world desperately needs more friendly spelling and grammar enforcers!

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
If SM doesn't come up with that cheap fix for airflow reduction I'm going to get some precision stainless steel tubing from McMaster Carr and slip a little pipe into that air hole. They have a wide range of tiny precision tubing and I'm pretty sure I can come up with the the right ID and if I have to reduce the wall thickness a little a drill and some fine carbide paper will quickly create the right OD.

My guess is that that's what SM is going to come up with anyway.

Duane

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
If SM doesn't come up with that cheap fix for airflow reduction I'm going to get some precision stainless steel tubing from McMaster Carr and slip a little pipe into that air hole. They have a wide range of tiny precision tubing and I'm pretty sure I can come up with the the right ID and if I have to reduce the wall thickness a little a drill and some fine carbide paper will quickly create the right OD.

Duane
I think that is what their fix will be. They'll come up with a sleeve to press fit down that airway. My guess is it will be a plastic of some sort. Same material as the insulator.

Reactions: AstroTurf

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014

Duane
While I am interested in what Svoe Mesto will do.

I think that a more manageable approach for the handyman might be to attack the issue from the outside.

A cleverly placed toothpick could block an airhole or two, and should be easily reversible also.

Just a thought, Jim

Reactions: Bronze

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
While I am interested in what Svoe Mesto will do.

I think that a more manageable approach for the handyman might be to attack the issue from the outside.

A cleverly placed toothpick could block an airhole or two, and should be easily reversible also.

Just a thought, Jim

My guess is that air velocity may be almost as important as air volume......it would be easy to try both approaches.

Duane

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
The K5 is officially designed for those who lung hit, meaning a LOT more air than a mouth to lung vaper needs. This calls for power in 20 - 40 watt range (the latter being its max power rating) to provide sufficient vapor that won't be overly diluted in all that air. At 6 volts max (i.e. ProVari), 40 watts calls for coils with 0.9Ω or lower resistance. 1.2Ω will only provide 30 watts at 6 volts, and 1.8Ω only 20 watts. At 4.0V, 40 watts calls for 0.4Ω. One could rightfully say the K5 is a sub-ohm atty.

Restricting the air at the flow control results in lower velocity coming into the chamber. That can be increased with a restricted tube, but then there's the larger chamber than the KFMv3. For that reason, I don't believe a restricted tube solution is going to result in a KFMv3 with larger juice volume. YMMV

Last edited:

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I'm really not sure what all the chatter is about?

At one dot it is tighter than a Kayfun Mini V3, at two dots equal to, and at three or four dots it is greater than.

Also with the same build as my Kayfun Mini V3, I run the same power.

Wicking is a lil more critical due to the lower deck and the juice flow is improved.

I have not built it with claptons or twisted yet...

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm really not sure what all the chatter is about?

At one dot it is tighter than a Kayfun Mini V3, at two dots equal to, and at three or four dots it is greater than.

Also with the same build as my Kayfun Mini V3, I run the same power.

Wicking is a lil more critical due to the lower deck and the juice flow is improved.

I have not built it with claptons or twisted yet...

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard to compare to a KM3 when it has variable airflow. When you say tighter than a KM3...at which setting of the KM3?

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm really liking my Kayfun Mini V3, and the KFL+'s, after reading all the reviews, I think I'm good with those.
I may pick up another mini.
Thanks for all your help a week or so ago, getting me started with these!!

Enjoy the new 5's. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm really liking my Kayfun Mini V3, and the KFL+'s, after reading all the reviews, I think I'm good with those.
I may pick up another mini.
Thanks for all your help a week or so ago, getting me started with these!!

Enjoy the new 5's. :)
These KM3's are fantastic. HHV is down to three KMs in stock.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
These KM3's are fantastic. HHV is down to three KMs in stock.
They ARE fantastic!! (unless you forget to close the chamber thingie before you fill :laugh:) But hey, do that once, you'll remember next time.

Oh wow, down to 3. I better not sit on the fence too long. Geesh, was hoping not to have another killer CC bill, but guess that's not going to happen...:lol:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
They ARE fantastic!! (unless you forget to close the chamber thingie before you fill :laugh:) But hey, do that once, you'll remember next time.

Oh wow, down to 3. I better not sit on the fence too long. Geesh, was hoping not to have another killer CC bill, but guess that's not going to happen...:lol:
Yep, forgetting to close the juice control is a good lesson. I'm guessing those three KM3s wont last the day. They are running a 10% sale but it is for eliquid only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread