Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
This is a great discussion! Now to go reeaaaallllllyyyyy off topic....

We've just experienced why the metric system is better, believe it or not.
In order to convert a metric unit (distance, volume, weight, pressure, etc.) to an equivalent imperial unit, each imperial unit requires its own conversion factor (25.4 for distance, etc.).
Native metric values are always and forever base 10. That means, that 10mm = 1cm, etc. Using units we're all familiar with in these parts 1000ml = 1 liter. Base 10! Neat, huh?
The metric system is far superior to the imperial system.

Mike Geaney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Boston
The metric system is far superior to the imperial system.

I won't debate that but let's not forget the imperial system did give us the GIQ (giant imperial quart)...that's a 40 oz to you youngsters. The only metric things that seemed to stick were 2 liters.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I won't debate that but let's not forget the imperial system did give us the GIQ (giant imperial quart)...that's a 40 oz to you youngsters. The only metric things that seemed to stick were 2 liters.
A quart and a liter bit more. :)

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I knew the meaning, but not the background...so I cheated. :laugh::facepalm:
Very interesting!! Thanks for posting that, had never thought about it enough to look. :)

We use old sayings all the time, and many of us don't even know how and why they came about.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We use old sayings all the time, and many of us don't even know how and why they came about.
So true.
I think sometimes as we age, we lose our curiosity.
Which is kind of sad, especially now with Google at our fingertips.
I remember doing a report in middle school on the origins of superstitions. It was one of those assignments where you could pick your topic.

Reactions: AstroTurf

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
Ok, back to the KF5...

Just brought the KF5 back out (stashed it in June, 'cause performance was tweaking me), installed the new 6ml steel tank, and put in a fresh SS/Rayon build.
I'd forgotten that the flavor from KF5 was a bit more intense than KF4 for me, which is a good thing. So far, so good.
My issues were always with leaking, especially after closing down the JFC and reopening the flow. I despised the "dampness" that was just above the AFC ring, and having to deal with that twice a day for filling...ugh.
I really really really want to like this tank. Fingers crossed!!!

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So, I think that I might need to add a drop or two of distilled water (or something) to my e-liquid for the KF5.

I'm still really new to the Kayfuns, (June of this year) so I really don't begin to know enough to even try to diagnose yet, but it seems that my KFL+'s handle my all VG mixture better than the KF5.
I use max. VG with my nic, then the only dilution I get is from flavorings.

I'm also going to re-read back through this thread, and some at the KFL threads.
I've kept up with this one since the beginning, but honestly, I've prob forgotten half I've read because I didn't have a KF5 to really *understand* what others have commented on. :)

I'll get it figured out, I'm not getting much vapor production, I'm not looking for "big clouds", I just mean the vapor seems puney.
If that makes sense. :facepalm:

The flavor is great, almost too strong.
So I'm thinking viscosity or coil placement maybe...course, I could be completely lost too. :laugh:

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok, back to the KF5...

Just brought the KF5 back out (stashed it in June, 'cause performance was tweaking me), installed the new 6ml steel tank, and put in a fresh SS/Rayon build.
I'd forgotten that the flavor from KF5 was a bit more intense than KF4 for me, which is a good thing. So far, so good.
My issues were always with leaking, especially after closing down the JFC and reopening the flow. I despised the "dampness" that was just above the AFC ring, and having to deal with that twice a day for filling...ugh.
I really really really want to like this tank. Fingers crossed!!!
I actually was getting back to the KF5 too. :laugh: I was typing as you posted that. :lol:

I can't compare to the KF4, I don't have that one, but compared to the KFL+, running the same liquid in both, it's definitely more flavorful in the KF5.
The flavor in the KFL+ seems perfect, and just almost too strong in the KF5.

Like I said in my above post, I just have to learn the differences in the tanks, and adjust to get them running where I want them.

For me, I'm sure it's user error, and I just need to learn the things that need tweaking. :)

ETA: I definitely think it's possibly a high VG issue for me.
As I'm getting through this tank of liquid, the vapor production is getting better, and I can tell my liquid is getting thinner.
As with any new tank, there's a learning curve. I'll get there. ;)

Last edited:

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think it's already wide open. I think my coil may be getting gunked up too.
I vape the flavors that gunk up the coils, so that's an ongoing battle...but I'm hard headed, and I like what I like, so I just have to fiddle with coils more than others. :laugh:

It's not bad though, no complaints. I'm fairly easy to please with tanks. :)

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Not sure why but I seem to get a wet vape from the 5. Bumped up my watts to 17 and have the boost set to 2 on the Radius. I'm going to try and back the juice flow down a bit. I usually have 1.5 turns open.

If by "wet vape" you mean a bit of gurgling, then it might be because you set the coil too close to the air hole. Try raising the coil up just a bit and make sure it's centered, and see if that helps.

Mike Geaney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Boston
If by "wet vape" you mean a bit of gurgling, then it might be because you set the coil too close to the air hole. Try raising the coil up just a bit and make sure it's centered, and see if that helps.
Thanks. The coil is well proud of the intake. Just seems wet...and I cough a bit with it. Feels like I'm inhaling both vapor and liquid to a small degree.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks. The coil is well proud of the intake. Just seems wet...and I cough a bit with it. Feels like I'm inhaling both vapor and liquid to a small degree.
I don't get a wet vape, but sometimes a cough.
It's DEFINITELY stronger flavor in the KF5, than with the same liquid vaped in my RM2.
Is that what you're finding, not sure if you've compared using the same liquid. I'm also thinking I might need to decrease the nic level in the KF5, I've heard that can cause a cough in the tanks that produce a more flavorful vape.
I'm doing 1.7 ohm to 1.8 ohm, so if none of this applies, just disregard.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not sure why but I seem to get a wet vape from the 5. Bumped up my watts to 17 and have the boost set to 2 on the Radius. I'm going to try and back the juice flow down a bit. I usually have 1.5 turns open.
Some might call this a "well saturated" vape, and consider it a good thing. I get this from time to time from my K5, and it's startling to get such a moist burst of flavor, but I know what it's like to get actual e-liquid in my mouth, and this is not that- just an unusually moist vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread