Not open for further replies.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
UPDATE (10/30/16):

The fix for seeping from AFC slots (#2. above) continues to hold on my #2 K5, but recently my #1 K5 started seeping. I've replaced the JFC rings twice and it's still seeping. Will try another ring, but this is getting to be a real P.I.T.A. Great vape, but can't take it anywhere!

I think I may have found the problem: There are two similar o-rings in the spare kit- one is slightly smaller in diameter than the other. On my last two JFC o-ring replacements I used the slightly larger ring. I noticed that there were some stiff spots in the turning radius when adjusting. This time I used the slightly smaller diameter ring, and the JFC now turns smoothly as it should. I suspect that the larger diameter rings I had tried are actually intended for the AFC. I'll report back in a few days to let everyone know if I'm still leak free.
Not! The smaller of the two similar rings is not right- leaked within a couple hours. Replaced with another new ring (the larger size) and hit pay dirt with this one. It's been 3 days and no seeping. Some of these rings are just not right. Just purchased some spares for the future. Still love my K5s, but they are certainly more temperamental than my good ole KF Lites.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Do you have some experience about the o-ring durability?
Welcome to the wonderful, smoke-free world of vaping and the wonderful world of Kayfuns! Here's my experience with the K5 o-rings:

juice flow control ring:

I've found these hit or miss. Some of both original and replacement rings are faulty, causing seeping from the air flow slots. Longest I've gone on a good JFC ring was maybe 10 weeks before I started seeing seepage and needed to replace.

Air flow control ring:

Replacing this one and the smaller one down near the hex nut fixes the issue of seepage from the base. Thus far, this appears to be a much more durable fix, especially if you're not adjusting the air flow a lot.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
To solve this issue, I make sure that the last o-ring is dry. Make sure no liquid is close to it. Hope this helps.
Thanks, but it makes no sense for the JFC ring to be dry. Dry rubber against dry metal is a recipe for disaster. This ring, and any ring insulating a moving part, need to be lubed so the JFC can turn smoothly without undue friction. I found that the solution to the seepage from the air flow slots is to replace the o-ring with a new one, however I have found that some of the new rings are faulty, so if you replace and are still seeing seepage, try yet a different new ring.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Keras Big Compare SMALL.jpg

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So that's what a thousand bucks looks like!!!

LOLz
LOL's.....shhhhhhh. :laugh:

....#2 on the left....I need that top part. :cry:
I'ved never seen that before. That looks fabulous!!

ETA: LOL's...we have the same lamp as the one in the corner. :lol:

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
People's Republic of Stroud
Hi All,

I recently got a kf5 and I have had nothing but flavourless vapour from day one and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have tried every type of coil and wire awg, rayon and cotton wicks, small wicks and big wicks, different juices to no avail.

I must have done 50 builds but no dice. I followed Quroxstans video to a tee but still nothing.

When I try another tank I get full flavour.

Any advice as I'm on the verge of packing it in and selling.

It is an authentic tank.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

After some trials I have settled on the following build.

26gauge kanthal. 3mm id. Contact coil. Around 6-8 wraps.

Spaced coils just wouldn't work for me, I got spitback and a harsh vape.

Use the grooves by screw to measure the coil i.e. if both legs go directly in the (what I can best describe as) trap for the leads you are on the right course.

Don't raise the coil from the airflow hole too much...note the airflow hole is actually recessed (lower) slightly from the screw and wire trap base. A single mm is a good starting point.

Wikikng muji cotton. Reasonably tight in coil but not too tight, enough to move the ohms reader / mod you are building on IF you pull on either side without holding the thing ya building on, note: not too tight though you ought to be able to still pull the wick backwards and forwards through coil IF you ease the opposite side to the one you're pulling.

Cut too approx. edge of the deck and tuck in gently with tweezers, then, again gently, using very small screwdriver or similar, work round the outside of juice well and ensure end of wick is touching bottm of juice well. Give it all a little lift and spread.

If you are getting a dry vape increase juice flow, if it's a wet vape decrease juice flow.

I tend to vape it between 12-16 watts. Airflow wide open, any less is too tight for me. Lots of flavour and vapour.

Give above a try....

Edit: That's all using 50/50 PG/VG juices. High VG would / ought simply entail opening up the juice flow more. If high VG still causes issues - you could possibly try a little less thickness on the wick.

Last edited:

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
Thank you for your help, I successfully managed to build a coil with 28g kanthal at 1.7 ohms and works fine but the airflow is not thigh enough, I hope I can find the MTL kit soon but the only Smoevesto dealer in Mexico is out of stock.

I'm currently using the mini v3 ... it is really great, very good flavour and zero gurgling neither leaks (opening the fluid control just 1 and a half turns), same build with 28g wire.

It is sad that I did not found vaping before (not to much info in Mexico since it is not allowed to sell vaping stuff).

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
I've been changing coils, just for the pleasure of building :). But I can't get in my K5 the same flavour I get from the mini v3 :oops:. How long does a coil takes to settle? I've just build a 26g kanthal A1 that came at 1.1 ohms. Can you tell if there is something wrong? View attachment 613753
Diameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread