Authentic Svoemesto Kayfun 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Tried them all and still get seepage after a couple days. Even placed a straightened paper clip between air hole & well while wicking to be sure there's a gap. Would love to hear from anyone who's had this issue and solved it. Otherwise, the only solution is to re-wick more frequently.

Oh, and those referring to "condensation"- I think that's just a nice rationalization that makes it easier to be in denial.

I use my Kayfun5 the whole day. Thanks to Bronze and Qorax I believe that I've found my sweet spot using a kanthal 28g 2.5 mm coil @ ~ 1.5 ohms and I always vape a 60vg/40pg liquid @ 10 - 14 watts. I use cotton but recently I discovered Fiber Freaks pre-cut wicks that I believe are a cotton-cellulose blend and they work well. And my daily intake is about 5 ml (edit: maybe a little more :)).

I've had this condensation / seepage problem but not often and maybe is because my routine:

(a) Use a little more cotton than what it seems necessary. Can't explain how much but I try to use enough cotton to have just 1 turn (maybe 1 and a quarter) in the liquid flow control.

(b) I always adjust the liquid flow control in order to avoid gurgling / liquid noise. I love that smooth / turbulence free / quiet vape that the kayfun can deliver.

(c) I re-wick every 4 o 5 days.

(d) Almost every day or at least every other day I dismantle the air control ring and clean it with a paper napkin, and using a twisted edge of the napkin I clean the air-holes of the tank (see pictures an note that the paper collects some moisture)

(e) At least twice a day I like to clean the upper side of the chimney with a cotton swab.

upload_2017-4-25_15-58-19.jpg

upload_2017-4-25_15-59-3.png

upload_2017-4-25_15-59-23.png

upload_2017-4-25_15-59-46.png

Last edited:

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ok. I'm gonna call BS on the wick tails to deck gap thing causing leaks. I've tested it several times and unless the wick is touching the center screw it's not an issue.
I'm gonna call BS on what you're calling BS. My experience appears to confirm that wicking makes a difference. I've seen one wick go 3-4 days without seepage, and another start seeping after a day or so. It's starting to make me crazy.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Tomasius, your first point is the most overlooked factor in wicking. Folks tend to think less is better. Au' Contraire. More is better. I'm glad you brought it up.
To a point. If you stuff the wells you'll get reduced juice flow.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I use my Kayfun5 the whole day. Thanks to Bronze and Qorax I believe that I've found my sweet spot using a kanthal 28g 2.5 mm coil @ ~ 1.5 ohms and I always vape a 60vg/40pg liquid @ 10 - 14 watts. I use cotton but recently I discovered Fiber Freaks pre-cut wicks that I believe are a cotton-cellulose blend and they work well. And my daily intake is about 5 ml (edit: maybe a little more :)).

I've had this condensation / seepage problem but not often and maybe is because my routine:

(a) Use a little more cotton than what it seems necessary. Can't explain how much but I try to use enough cotton to have just 1 turn (maybe 1 and a quarter) in the liquid flow control.

(b) I always adjust the liquid flow control in order to avoid gurgling / liquid noise. I love that smooth / turbulence free / quiet vape that the Kayfun can deliver.

(c) I re-wick every 4 o 5 days.

(d) Almost every day or at least every other day I dismantle the air control ring and clean it with a paper napkin, and using a twisted edge of the napkin I clean the air-holes of the tank (see pictures an note that the paper collects some moisture)

(e) At least twice a day I like to clean the upper side of the chimney with a cotton swab.

View attachment 651715

View attachment 651717

View attachment 651719

View attachment 651721
Thanks for this post. My build is identical to yours (kanthal 28g 2.5 mm coil @ ~ 1.5 ohms). Impressed that you're going 3-4 days on a wick. I'm gonna try your routine of cleaning the AFC.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC

That's a lot of wear on the center pin, unscrewing & re-tightening every day. Also, not a fan of paper towels for cleaning. They disintegrate, leaving paper fibers. I prefer cotton pipe cleaners.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Also, don't you risk having your coil/wick get catawampus due to slight movement of the block while loosening/tightening center pin?

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Also, don't you risk having your coil/wick get catawampus due to slight movement of the block while loosening/tightening center pin?
Those parts should not move with the removal/tightening of the center screw...

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This seepage from the air vents issue is so fickle. One of my K5s was seeping pretty bad today (the same one that was pretty dry on its last wick), but I didn't have time to re-wick before taking the dog out for exercise. So, I cleaned it up with a paper towel, checked the AFC to be sure it was locked, gave JFC a slight clockwise turn, and put it in my pocket. It was in and out of my pocket in 82 degrees for an hour. When we got back I checked it to see how bad the seepage was, and f**k me! It was dry as a bone.

It seems that one could try any one of the numerous good suggestions that have been offered, and still end up with seepage for an entirely different reason. I'll keep fiddling with it, but it is a mysterious P.I.T.A.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
This seepage from the air vents issue is so fickle. One of my K5s was seeping pretty bad today (the same one that was pretty dry on its last wick), but I didn't have time to re-wick before taking the dog out for exercise. So, I cleaned it up with a paper towel, checked the AFC to be sure it was locked, gave JFC a slight clockwise turn, and put it in my pocket. It was in and out of my pocket in 82 degrees for an hour. When we got back I checked it to see how bad the seepage was, and f**k me! It was dry as a bone.

It seems that one could try any one of the numerous good suggestions that have been offered, and still end up with seepage for an entirely different reason. I'll keep fiddling with it, but it is a mysterious P.I.T.A.

Yes it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Tried this to no effect on the K5 that seeps pretty bad after a day or two- there wasn't much moisture on the AFC, and she continued to seep after cleaning her up.

While doing my latest re-wick yesterday, I replaced the chimney o-ring. We'll see if that has any effect. If not, I'll try replacing the top cap ring.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Minor Rant: Got my first K5 about a year ago and the 2nd shortly after that. Both leaked from the bottom plate, but replacing the AFC o-ring and the one below it was a permanent fix for both. Got my 3rd K5 recently, and started using it this past week. I thought, "surely by now they've got this issue straightened out." Nope- it leaks from the bottom just like the earlier ones, so I have to take it apart and do the o-ring replacement fix. So much for quality control! End of Minor Rant.

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Minor Rant: Got my first K5 about a year ago and the 2nd shortly after that. Both leaked from the bottom plate, but replacing the AFC o-ring and the one below it was a permanent fix for both. Got my 3rd K5 recently, and started using it this past week. I thought, "surely by now they've got this issue straightened out." Nope- it leaks from the bottom just like the earlier ones, so I have to take it apart and do the o-ring replacement fix. So much for quality control! End of Minor Rant.
What's wrong with the orings?

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
Tried this to no effect on the K5 that seeps pretty bad after a day or two- there wasn't much moisture on the AFC, and she continued to seep after cleaning her up.

While doing my latest re-wick yesterday, I replaced the chimney o-ring. We'll see if that has any effect. If not, I'll try replacing the top cap ring.

[emoji20]

Could it be the top cap o-ring? I haven't had any problems with it but my guess is that if it fails the negative pressure can't be kept by the tank and thus the leaking.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Regarding the ongoing seepage from air vents saga:

Got a new K5 recently and all three got new wicks Wednesday evening. Nearly identical coils/wicks in each. All were bone dry through Thursday. Yesterday the new one (which was the most heavily used) had just an insignificant little bit of juice at one of the vents. By today, again the new one had just a little blot of juice and the other two were doing their usual seeping, including the one that had very little use. This seems to suggest is that it's not usage related. The most heavily used K5 had very little seepage after 2.5 days of use, whereas the one that was used very little was seeping big time after just sitting there most of the time. I'm gonna replace the top cap ring on the heavy seeper and see if that makes a difference. There's plenty of wick in the wells and the coils are at least 1.5mm above the air hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread