Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
I decided to change my Avatar, which turned out to be a problem. According to the upload, an Avatar picture size can not be larger than 5KB? Even when I tried to resize a picture to no more than 200 pixel by 200 pixel, I got an error message saying the size was too large.

Now I don't have an avatar at all and I don't know how to get one up?

I like the new forum. I do. But putting up an Avatar can't be this difficult, can it? Can anyone help me?

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I decided to change my Avatar, which turned out to be a problem. According to the upload, an Avatar picture size can not be larger than 5KB? Even when I tried to resize a picture to no more than 200 pixel by 200 pixel, I got an error message saying the size was too large.

I like the new forum. I do. But putting up an Avatar can't be this difficult, can it? Can anyone help me?
I see an avatar on your post. Is it not the one you wanted now?

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012

I do see an avatar, as does sonic, so you definitely have an avatar. However, to answer your question, there are typically two restrictions on picture uploading when it comes to forum software, size and...size. The first being the actual file size - in this case 5KB - and the second being the dimensions of the image - in this case 200x200. Your file may be 150x150 and still be over 5KB, so make sure to check both before trying to upload the avatar.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
I see an avatar on your post. Is it not the one you wanted now?

I do see an avatar, as does sonic, so you definitely have an avatar. However, to answer your question, there are typically two restrictions on picture uploading when it comes to forum software, size and...size. The first being the actual file size - in this case 5KB - and the second being the dimensions of the image - in this case 200x200. Your file may be 150x150 and still be over 5KB, so make sure to check both before trying to upload the avatar.

Thank you both. Yes, I have an avatar as another forum buddy was able to resize it less than 5KB. But in the old forum the file size must have been larger for Avatars as I never had that much trouble putting one up. The size limitation guarantees the avatar itself will be extremely low resolution. It's not a big deal, but it would be nicer if we could upload a nicer image for our avatars.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
We're most certainly open to increasing the limits, however the actual size that is displayed will not change.

The size of the displayed Avatar is not the issue. The file size in Pixel's is the issue. The Avatar at 5KB or less is just so low resolution AND, even more importantly, is hard to create. Even with cell phone pictures, the Pixel density is large. Taking any picture and reducing it to 5KB or less is hard to do and guarantees a poor image.

If you guys could give us the ability to upload more mega-pixel dense pictures for Avatars, I would [as I would imagine others] be very happy. Happy Indeed!

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
5kb is an unrealistic size limit for avatars. Most other sites limit to 20-50kb and I think those are still small but much more manageable. My current avatar was shrunk even more from the previous forum and the resolution is bad so I tried to upload another pic but I can't get it to below 5kb. I have it at 6.7kb and it's about the same resolution so it's not even worth trying to fix.

There should be a config to change the size limit. I know most sites don't like big avatar sizes because it bloats the db but changing it to 20kb would be a huge help and still be small enough to keep the db manageable.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
5kb is an unrealistic size limit for avatars. Most other sites limit to 20-50kb and I think those are still small but much more manageable. My current avatar was shrunk even more from the previous forum and the resolution is bad so I tried to upload another pic but I can't get it to below 5kb. I have it at 6.7kb and it's about the same resolution so it's not even worth trying to fix.

There should be a config to change the size limit. I know most sites don't like big avatar sizes because it bloats the db but changing it to 20kb would be a huge help and still be small enough to keep the db manageable.

I agree with you on both your posts. Awesome job on the new forum. But 5KB is an unrealistic size for Avatars. Yes Oh Yes it is!

Reactions: EleanorR

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The 200x200 recommended size is hard coded, that will not change as you can use something larger. What will change is the ability to use something larger than 5KB.
So what happens if you use something larger?
It just gets cropped automatically?

That appears to be what happened to mine.

But I'm confused as to how my avatar is even still there...
Given that it is larger than the 5KB limit.

Reactions: Pictor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread