Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
Photoshop, Paint.net (Free at getpaint.net), The GIMP (Also free for Mac/Linux/Win at gimp.org.). All of those image programs allow you to resize images to a defined pixel setting. It has been a while since I used PS and Paint.net but you can always get the file size from the file itself on your OS after resizing it if it is not available in the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: TronCat

TronCat

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2015
Canada
Photoshop, Paint.net (Free at getpaint.net), The GIMP (Also free for Mac/Linux/Win at gimp.org.). All of those image programs allow you to resize images to a defined pixel setting. It has been a while since I used PS and Paint.net but you can always get the file size from the file itself on your OS after resizing it if it is not available in the program.
i tried to resize in photoshop and it just completely blurred the image. It was under 5KB and still didn't work...

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hey guys/girls, unrelated to ecigs but I was just wondering whats the best way to make an avatar seeing as every time I try to put one it says I need an image under 5K but the recommended size is 200x200 pixels

The displayed images are actually 96x96. It shouldn't be too hard to get them under 5k, at 96x96.

Andria

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
i tried to resize in photoshop and it just completely blurred the image. It was under 5KB and still didn't work...

That is common when resizing larger images. Try toying with the enhance/sharpen filter to get it a little clearer.

It will take some tinkering to get it right. Sometimes I'll resize it smaller, sharpen, then resize it again and step down a few times before going straight from say 800x800 to 200x200. At least as an example on how I try to prevent blurred photos.

Also make sure to try to save (or "export as" in GIMP) them as a common *.gif, *.jpg, or *.png file as those offer better image compression than say a *.bmp file. I usually use *.png though this site shows my avatar as a *.jpg.

:)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
That is common when resizing larger images. Try toying with the enhance/sharpen filter to get it a little clearer.

:)

No offense intended but as it is, I have no idea what your profile pic is other than from your user ID, I assume it has something to do with water. Yours isn't the only one.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
No offense intended but as it is, I have no idea what your profile pic is other than from your user ID, I assume it has something to do with water. Yours isn't the only one.

It is a waterfall. It is blurrier than the old forum. I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. It is smaller than the old one which is essentially the same problem Payton is having with resizing.

Reactions: Kent C

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
If anyone needs assistance just shoot me a message with the full size image and I'll send it back resized and clear.

Or as clear as the image will allow depending on it's quality.

Same for me, too... I do some web development, so I'm very good at getting images down to the smallest file size possible without significant loss of clarity. If you can't manage it, send it to me, and I'll fix ya up.

Andria

Reactions: Nanny22

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It is a waterfall. It is blurrier than the old forum. I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. It is smaller than the old one which is essentially the same problem Payton is having with resizing.

Got it. Thanks :) There's just certain pics that aren't going to show up well with the 96x96 format on the forum avi... oh well....

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
Got it. Thanks :) There's just certain pics that aren't going to show up well with the 96x96 format on the forum avi... oh well....

No problem. I tossed the forum avatar into an image editor and the file size is 115k from the change over. Placed it into sharpen and it looks like it used to look. Unfortunately I'm still getting the 5KB error even on the avatars I tried under 30 KB. I'll give it a half an hour for the database to update the settings and try again.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
No problem. I tossed the forum avatar into an image editor and the file size is 115k from the change over. Placed it into sharpen and it looks like it used to look. Unfortunately I'm still getting the 5KB error even on the avatars I tried under 30 KB. I'll give it a half an hour for the database to update the settings and try again.

Hey. I see a Hydroscope! :thumb:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I click on some of the avatars, and they are the same size in the member info card that pops up.
I click on mine and it's way bigger in the member info card.

I don't know what I did that other's did not do, but mine is exactly 200 x 200 pixels.
Maybe some of the others are much smaller and that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread