Average shelf life of a vape mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudyFutures

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2017
I was just looking for a vape mod. The one in particular is the iJoy Solo Plus 85w. I notice that it is sold out in a lot of places. And one site says it has been discontinued. I think it came out on 6/6/2016.

My question is, what gives? Do most e cig products hit the shelf's and then discontinue after 1 year?

Reactions: stols001

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
some vape for years :blink:

ProvariBeatup.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Frequently. This is particularly true of attys.
The issue is egigarettes are where cars were in the early 1900s. Hundreds of companies making no them, Rapid and extreme innovation on a monthly basis. A lot of trial and error. New ideas that turn out to not work all that well. The stuff that was the best on the market when it came out is often ridiculously bad 5 years later.

Once upon a time the best ecig you could get was actually a blu believe it or not. Now they are just about the worst thing still sold.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
It's a trick !!
By the time a mod / atty has been used enough to recieve a proper review it's obsolete and the next model is out. Most reviews are useless unless a mod has been in constant daily use, not just unboxed and tested. I don't want to know what what the features are, i can read a box myself, i want to know if a device will still function after 2 months daily use.....
We're all beta testers.

The good news is that 'obsolete' models can be found at bargain prices once in a while.

Sorry, bit off track, got my grumpy head on.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
and you're not wrong. The stuff that still sells often still gets made though. kanger pens are still around for example, and they were more or less the best of the egos. You can still get a kayfun 3, or a amod style mech. It's really behaving a lot like the history of cars. Things that just work vs fins and useless lighting.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I dont think its innovation as much as its, lets make all the money we can before the government does something stupid. I think most of the time its just cosmetics rather than innovation.
There are a few mods that stand the test. I still use the evic mini. Not flashy, no neon lights, no 300w. It just works.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Frequently. This is particularly true of attys.
The issue is egigarettes are where cars were in the early 1900s. Hundreds of companies making no them, Rapid and extreme innovation on a monthly basis. A lot of trial and error. New ideas that turn out to not work all that well. The stuff that was the best on the market when it came out is often ridiculously bad 5 years later.

Once upon a time the best ecig you could get was actually a blu believe it or not. Now they are just about the worst thing still sold.
Thing is there's no innovation in e-cigs imo
I don't believe adding leds and touchscreen are innovations at all,the only "innovations" we have are better chips which don't require a whole new mod for that single purpose. Sure tanks i can get behind different models but mods ? Adding lights and touch capabilities don't make sense imo and aren't innovations. At the end of the day it's company profit,they make new mods and tanks to make money, if they didn't they wouldn't survive long on just coils and not everyone buys 5x the same mods so it's pure sense they get rid of older stuff so that whenever yours break you buy the newests shiny mods they have,just like cellphone tech,it's basically the same tactics tbh.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thing is there's no innovation in e-cigs imo
I don't believe adding leds and touchscreen are innovations at all,the only "innovations" we have are better chips which don't require a whole new mod for that single purpose. Sure tanks i can get behind different models but mods ? Adding lights and touch capabilities don't make sense imo and aren't innovations. At the end of the day it's company profit,they make new mods and tanks to make money, if they didn't they wouldn't survive long on just coils and not everyone buys 5x the same mods so it's pure sense they get rid of older stuff so that whenever yours break you buy the newests shiny mods they have,just like cellphone tech,it's basically the same tactics tbh.
This would be the "fins" I was referring to back in the 1900s they still did stupid cosmetic stuff. There were a lot of cars designed to resemble high speed boats for one

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
This would be the "fins" I was referring to back in the 1900s they still did stupid cosmetic stuff. There were a lot of cars designed to resemble high speed boats for one
Airplane wings, I still love the look of the 59 impala

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
I've had pretty good luck buying "last years" $70 mods for under $25 closeout.
Gives a chance to see how they are working out for everyone.
A few months ago I bought a HCigar VT DNA 40, brand new.. shipped from a reputable USA vendor on sale for $30. Org. Retail a couple years ago.... $179. And yes it's authentic. They can't sell a 40w device these days. Works perfectly with my KF5.
Being a Mtl vaper I try to scoop these deals up while they last..

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I pay more attention to the companies that only release new gear 2-3 times a year. They take the time to bring quality to the table. I don't regret one penny that I spent on my Therion. I can see myself using this mod for years. I can also see myself buying similar quality mods (definitely another Therion or two) at least once a year for stash.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Basically if you like a mod and you can have some restraint... it's tough but wait 6-9 months or so.... you will be able to buy a new tank to throw on top of it for the same price of what the mod was solo. (Generally) that's 2 New shiny things for one. If you vape in wattage mode....well not much has really changed by then..

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I don't know about shelf life, but I have a weakness for tanks.

I really want something like a Goon.

Don't judge. :)

I'm hoping shelf life is great. I have at least 10 mods that have just been opened, tested and stockpiled. For a rainy day, I guess. Tanks a couple dozen of those new stashed away too.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I can't buy mod after mod. My first mod was the Revenger. I lucked out and got the Drag and won the Gen 3 the next day. Only have a Baby and Big Baby, Telsa Arrow (what I'm learning to drip with, tank is smallish but great) Limitless+, and a Goon 1.5 1:1 on the way. The limitless is my least favorite of the group.

Want a pure dripping atty and I'm done for a bit. They can get old, don't care as long as they continue to work.

Maybe fins on the Limitless would help it....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread